Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
I’ve got nothing else. BUT I just think it’s dumb to assume if KU joins, there is still no chance they have a shot to get it. It seems logical. They have a good head coach (3x B12 coach of the year), it’s regional, AAU, and a natural rivalry with Iowa. Simply saying “no” doesn’t really influence me enough to agree with you.

Time will tell.
Adding schools has to do with added value to the conference as it relates to the TV contract. ISU adds nothing from a TV network standpoint for the Big Ten and would just be another mouth to feed.

Reaction Score
These comments from the ISU AD during Big 12 expansion 5 years ago are kinda hilarious now:

At 10, we give ourselves a lot more flexibility down the road versus adding maybe members that would only clutter up the process. People say, 'In eight years, Texas and Oklahoma are going to bolt.' Well, if we added teams and forced it on them, I guarantee they'd bolt. So that's a part of this process that people aren't thinking about.

The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference, and we're getting $3 million [in annual TV revenue, a drastic decrease]. We've got two star players, whether people want to like that or not: Texas and Oklahoma.

Source: Iowa State's AD has some Big 12 real talk

Reaction Score
After watching my schools (UConn, SMU) screwed in realignment, I have no sympathy for any other school. I love the chaos. May it never end.
I hope the PAC 12 does a reality show style process like the Big XII did and decides they want to expand with Boise St and BYU and no one from the Big XII. That's my best case scenario besides UConn being invited to the B1G due to sleeper agent Warde Manuel

If you can't tell, I've had a few drinks tonight.

Reaction Score
These comments from the ISU AD during Big 12 expansion 5 years ago are kinda hilarious now:

At 10, we give ourselves a lot more flexibility down the road versus adding maybe members that would only clutter up the process. People say, 'In eight years, Texas and Oklahoma are going to bolt.' Well, if we added teams and forced it on them, I guarantee they'd bolt. So that's a part of this process that people aren't thinking about.

The Big 12 exists because we have Texas and Oklahoma in the room. If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference, and we're getting $3 million [in annual TV revenue, a drastic decrease]. We've got two star players, whether people want to like that or not: Texas and Oklahoma.

Source: Iowa State's AD has some Big 12 real talk
lmfao

and their fans think they're getting into the B1G

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I hope the PAC 12 does a reality show style process like the Big XII did and decides they want to expand with Boise St and BYU and no one from the Big XII. That's my best case scenario besides UConn being invited to the B1G due to sleeper agent Warde Manuel

If you can't tell, I've had a few drinks tonight.
Warde will negotiate UM into the Big Sky conference at the end of all this.

Reaction Score
Exploring the Big 12/SEC Timeline: Here's How Oklahoma and Texas Got Here

News on Friday that Oklahoma and Texas have been looking to leave the Big 12 Conference for 6-7 months seemed surprising at first, but can easily be traced back to one thing.

Television.

The timeline over the past two years is clear and revealing.

In September 2012, the Big 12 signed what it called “monumental” agreements — 13-years, $2.6 billion — with ESPN and Fox Sports.

Those deals were applauded as it would pay each Big 12 school $20 million annually.

Commissioner Bob Bowlsby called it “a monumental day,” and for a conference that over the previous two years was on life support, it was.

But recently, as the end of that contract approached and other leagues began landing astronomical television deals, Oklahoma and Texas began asking themselves — and each other — if they could do better, a source told SI Sooners.

Exploring the Big 12/SEC Timeline: Here's How the Oklahoma Sooners and Texas Longhorns Got Here - Sports Illustrated Oklahoma Sooners News, Analysis and More

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score

3FCBF22C-1CD5-4458-B44A-0787813BB265.jpeg

Reaction Score
LOL, I saw that in the comments:

From the Thamel article above:

->The only variable remains the historically volatile worlds of Texas and Oklahoma politics, but they’ve been unusually quiet this week. One source indicated that there’s not expected to be significant political interference. “There’s really no legislative way to prevent this,” a source said. “Despite whatever theatrics may come out in the next few days.”

A different source noted that the Texas Board of Regents chair, Kevin Eltife, who puppeteered this move behind the scenes, is a political animal. There's no way, the source said, Eltife would have done this and then surprised Governor Greg Abbott with the news. With sources telling Yahoo Sports that backchannel conversations have been going on for nearly a year, it's unlikely in the complicated world of Texas politics that anything this significant would have been done without communication at the highest levels. <-

Reaction Score
So....there is no conference realignment activity without UConn somehow getting the shaft. I was just thinking about future schedules....I wonder how much these realignments will force teams to cancel games with UConn? Especially if these larger leagues results in less out of conference games?

I just figured there had to be some way UConn continued the pattern of being damaged by every conference realignment decision....lol.
UConn may have to lobby to join a leftover conference as football only members. That would solve the conference only scheduling issue. If you can believe local newspaper articles, UConn is not expecting an invite anywhere.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
UConn may have to lobby to join a leftover conference as football only members. That would solve the conference only scheduling issue. If you can believe local newspaper articles, UConn is not expecting an invite anywhere.
It would be completely irresponsible not to be making calls right now. You don't have expectations, but you have to keep your ne pit there.

Reaction Score

We shouldn't be at this point. This is gong to play out for a long time to come. I’m sure Dave is networking.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I hope the crew in Storrs is prepared to do more than monitor the situation. Last bite at the apple for a long while is coming fast.

So your saying it is not the best time to be without a permanent School President and in the middle of a battle between the school establishment and the Board of Trustees?! :)

Reaction Score
So your saying it is not the best time to be without a permanent School President and in the middle of a battle between the school establishment and the Board of Trustees?! :)
Can you imagine if this was going on without a president and we were in the AAC? At least this times a little different

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom