Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
It’s a done deal. The Aggies leaked it to the Houston Chronicle in a ham handed effort to derail it. No one else in SEC will vote against the move.
Mizzou, which left the Big XII for $ and to get away from UT, would be a solid candidate to vote against UT. Then, 11+ other SEC schools would vote in UT and OU. Game over, like it Mizzou.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Mizzou, which left the Big XII for $ and to get away from UT, would be a solid candidate to vote against UT. Then, 11+ other SEC schools would vote in UT and OU. Game over, like it Mizzou.
Texas in the SEC isn't Texas in the B12. They won't be able to rule by edict anymore.

Reaction Score
Texas in the SEC isn't Texas in the B12. They won't be able to rule by edict anymore.
When/if UT opts for their view of $EC dinero versus Longhorn Network/Big XII income, your latter sentence is not relevant to the topic, SEC schools which vote against UT.

Reaction Score
UMass has a huge alumni base in a wealthy state. And they are rising rapidly in academics.

Basically, anyone arguing against UMass is also arguing against UConn. The case for both schools is the same. Terrible football combined with wealthy states, big markets, and large alumni bases. UConn has better basketball, UMass has more alumni.
UMass and UConn are the same and have the same appeal to conferences. Got it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Only after we put them through a very public dog-and-pony show. They can stay at the Days Inn in East Hartford.
I want slide show presentations and under the table bribes. Only to have the BE say no thanks in the end.

I want all of these Big 12 schools to feel all of our pain.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Texting back and forth with a real good friend and LSU fan.

He's saying it's all smoke and mirrors and no way this goes down. A&M has enough influence to fight this off and will do everything possible to show the rest of the conference how high maintenance UT is and how much they suck energy from everyone else. IDK if he is right but I'll put it out there are a counter argument or perspective.

I will say this. Nationally UT is still way bigger than A&M in terms of name recognition. Within the region, A&M has more influence than people think. Huge alumni, endowment and support. And they don't rock the boat.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Texting back and forth with a real good friend and LSU fan.

He's saying it's all smoke and mirrors and no way this goes down. A&M has enough influence to fight this off and will do everything possible to show the rest of the conference how high maintenance UT is and how much they suck energy from everyone else. IDK if he is right but I'll put it out there are a counter argument or perspective.

I will say this. Nationally UT is still way bigger than A&M in terms of name recognition. Within the region, A&M has more influence than people think. Huge alumni, endowment and support. And they don't rock the boat.
Maybe… but does the B1G step up and get crazy?

The way HS is trending down across all of the north while thriving in parts of the south (along with thriving population and economic growth), you got be damn worried that a northern based conf is on the slow permanent decline without adding some itching south.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Maybe… but does the B1G step up and get crazy?

The way HS is trending down across all of the north while thriving in parts of the south (along with thriving population and economic growth), you got be damn worried that a northern based conf is on the slow permanent decline without adding some itching south.
I’d slow the roll on permanent. We have water, aren’t a dust bowl and won’t be the first to collapse into the Atlantic. Buy now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’d slow the roll on permanent. We have water, aren’t a dust bowl and won’t be the first to collapse into the Atlantic. Buy now.
If I am at the B1G offices in Chicago, I'm a little concerned about being locked out of the high growth states....and would consider pouncing on TX and OK if there is any hesitation by the SEC.

Reaction Score
If I am at the B1G offices in Chicago, I'm a little concerned about being locked out of the high growth states....and would consider pouncing on TX and OK if there is any hesitation by the SEC.
Dude, people from warmer climates move here, regardless.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Wait. Are you saying that Oklahoma and Texas are more valuable than UConn? Holy freaking !!!!! That is the most insightful post I have ever read. Thank you for sharing that. We are all much smarter as a result.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dude, people from warmer climates move here, regardless.
Um, so what?

CT population in 1990 = 3.3MM and today 3.6MM.
TX population in 1990 = 17MM and today 29MM. And its a football and athlete factory.....and center for a lot of things. And there is no slow down ahead. Two tier 1 cities in Dallas and Houston and two rising stars in Austin and San Antonio.

Anyway - long term growth will be part of the decision making ahead.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If this happens, which it very well could, big 12 would be dead. ok state would head to the pac, Kansas and West Virginia to the big 10 and the rest of the schools would be left scrambling for a plan and probably end up absorbing the aac. ACC would have to start getting nervous because sec could make that conference irrelevant (in football) by taking FSU and Clemson to create an 18 team super league. Norte Dame would then pop over to the big 10 as well with cuse, Pitt and Louisville begging the big 10 to fill the last spot of their 18 team super league.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
If this happens, which it very well could, big 12 would be dead. ok state would head to the pac, Kansas and West Virginia to the big 10 and the rest of the schools would be left scrambling for a plan and probably end up absorbing the aac. ACC would have to start getting nervous because sec could make that conference irrelevant (in football) by taking FSU and Clemson to create an 18 team super league. Norte Dame would then pop over to the big 10 as well with cuse, Pitt and Louisville begging the big 10 to fill the last spot of their 18 team super league.
WVU will find no refuge in the Big 10.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Texas and the rest of the south and southwest benefit from two big trends:

1) Water being treated as a free and infinite resource. Arizona, Utah, Nevada and Southern California are consuming water at a level way past replacement rate and will run out of reserves within the next 10-20 years. Texas is in a little better shape, but not much.

2) A staggering federal wealth transfer from the northeast and west coast to the south and southwest. Northern states basically send their tax dollars to southern states through block grants so southern states can have lower state taxes. This is completely unsustainable, and will likely be addressed within 10 years.

Maybe, but a lot of people have made broad predictions about climate change and macro economic policies over the past 40 years and much of it just never came to pass in ways that actually changed the big picture. Remember when government deficits matter? Ha. Yeah.

The new winner in your scenarios would be the general southeast with plenty of water, cheap land, lower taxes and no snow.

Anyway- I plan to not digress further. The reality is the good news story of growth south of the mason dixon line is a huge part of the CRA equation.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
WVU will find no refuge in the Big 10.
I would find it funny to see them + cuse + Pitt scramble to keep their athletic programs relevant if the big 12 and or ACC get poached by sec and big 10. I wish that misery on them because those schools single handily destroyed the OBE.

Reaction Score
Stewart Mandel Kansas’s opinion with an UConn reference.

“It’s yet another reminder that football is all that really matters in realignment. Much like UConn’s prestigious basketball program got (briefly) relegated to the AAC when the old Big East imploded, it’s not inconceivable Kansas basketball could end up in the Mountain West.”

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Maybe, but a lot of people have made broad predictions about climate change and macro economic policies over the past 40 years and much of it just never came to pass in ways that actually changed the big picture. Remember when government deficits matter? Ha. Yeah.

The new winner in your scenarios would be the general southeast with plenty of water, cheap land, lower taxes and no snow.

Anyway- I plan to not digress further. The reality is the good news story of growth south of the mason dixon line is a huge part of the CRA equation.
Odd take. Have you looked around the world recently? If anything, there is a growing acknowledgement that climate change predictions may have been too conservative.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Odd take. Have you looked around the world recently? If anything, there is a growing acknowledgement that climate change predictions may have been too conservative.
Um, climate change hasnt shaped any macro real estate trends in the US. People still move to FL and AZ in droves. And warmer winters haven’t saved the upper midwest and interior northeast from out migration. Yada yada.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Um, climate change has shaped any macro real estate trends in the US. People still move to FL in droves. Yada yada.
That is kind of my point. You are basing this assessment off the fact that people are dumb and haven't actually caught up to the science. Once they do, the crazy growth in the south and west you pointed to will evaporate. This is just one harbinger:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That is kind of my point. You are basing this assessment off the fact that people are dumb and haven't actually caught up to the science. Once they do, the crazy growth in the south and west you pointed to will evaporate. This is just one harbinger:

I’d love to keep going on this - but don’t want to drag this thread down. If you think the long play in US real estate is outside of the south and west - god bless. AC, water conservation, new housing tech will conquer many problems ahead. The southeast and south central have so much space for growth to feed decades of growth. And no reason many SE cities won’t achieve substantial higher density too… low density US cities still have a lot of space to pack many more in.

Reaction Score
I agree with Nelson and others on this. The south can’t keep it up. The resources just aren’t here. On top of that, more volatile weather will make home ownership unaffordable in South Florida, Louisiana etc. My homeowners insurance is up to 5k per year and I have all the best Hurricane equipment on my house. Five years ago I was paying $1800. In VT I only pay $1300 and it is a very nice house with a comparable value and replacement cost.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom