Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
My stepsister went to UMass and is doing well. None of us know why she went there.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Has anyone ever met an actual Umass fan?
1626965568999.png

This is Lenny and his wife Selma. They are huge UMass fans. They must go to like 2-3 games a year.

Reaction Score
Baylor thinking about Big East. Not Plan A, but they know they won't get their Plan A.

One of the few good points this article makes is the B12's grant of rights becomes almost meaningless if enough teams leave that the league must dissolve. If OU and UT leave, they're one move away from that. The author correctly points out that every other B12 member would be wise to not sit around and monitor the situation and instead find the nearest lifeboat.

At that point, it'd basically be a settlement paid to the remaining members and they most likely merge with the American.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UMass Amherst is a good school and I know lots of good smart people who went there.

That doesn't make it a worthwhile addition to any conference.

UMass has a huge alumni base in a wealthy state. And they are rising rapidly in academics.

Basically, anyone arguing against UMass is also arguing against UConn. The case for both schools is the same. Terrible football combined with wealthy states, big markets, and large alumni bases. UConn has better basketball, UMass has more alumni.

Reaction Score
UMass has a huge alumni base in a wealthy state. And they are rising rapidly in academics.

Basically, anyone arguing against UMass is also arguing against UConn. The case for both schools is the same. Terrible football combined with wealthy states, big markets, and large alumni bases. UConn has better basketball, UMass has more alumni.
Yes, but UMass has no brand equity at all. I just can't see them as comparable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes, but UMass has no brand equity at all. I just can't see them as comparable.

I am not arguing that UMass is that the top of any list, but they are on the list for both the ACC and Big 10, and worth a lot more than the Big 12 leftovers once UT, OU and KU are gone.

Reaction Score
Yes, there is no way any of this goes public unless all the votes are lined up.A&M has to go public for their fans to show they didn't just roll over but no one has any expectation of A&M being the program that stirs the SEC's drink.
It’s a done deal. The Aggies leaked it to the Houston Chronicle in a ham handed effort to derail it. No one else in SEC will vote against the move.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

You must not live in Eastern Massachusetts like I do. In the Boston area, nobody cares about UMass and they don’t get great support from the legislature. The support for UConn in Connecticut is light years ahead of UMass in Massachusetts. That was even the case before UConn went to the BE in the late 70s.

Reaction Score
You must not live in Eastern Massachusetts like I do. In the Boston area, nobody cares about UMass and they don’t get great support from the legislature. The support for UConn in Connecticut is light years ahead of UMass in Massachusetts. That was even the case before UConn went to the BE in the late 70s.
The point is you start pumping $40 Mill a year into UMass and UConn from BIG revenue share, the whole market is transformed and people start paying attention. BC becomes a non-entity along with Cuse. UConn, UMass and Ruterds control the New England/Tristate Market with natural rivalries and bring in Midwest B1G teams fuels the fire.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It's the money.
I agree... you do it for the money.

I guess my point was...in the past... realignment meant if UConn didn't land in a P5 conference...then they were stuck in the AAC. Now....if UConn once again ends up without a chair...they still have the BE for most sports and I like the indie schedule for football.

The situation doesn't feel as dire.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The point is you start pumping $40 Mill a year into UMass and UConn from BIG revenue share, the whole market is transformed and people start paying attention. BC becomes a non-entity along with Cuse. UConn, UMass and Ruterds control the New England/Tristate Market with natural rivalries and bring in Midwest B1G teams fuels the fire.
True and by the same logic if we started pumping $40M into your finances, you'd be a millionaire. Of course the problem is finding someone who is willing to do that.

Reaction Score
I agree... you do it for the money.

I guess my point was...in the past... realignment meant if UConn didn't land in a P5 conference...then they were stuck in the AAC. Now....if UConn once again ends up without a chair...they still have the BE for most sports and I like the indie schedule for football.

The situation doesn't feel as dire.

I agree. We are in a good place, and I don't give a toss what happens to Big12 or SEC. At the end of this it will only be good news for UConn.

Reaction Score
Still think the B1G picking up UConn is a smart move to lock down the northeast. In fact, if they took UMass, the two would dominate recruiting and squeeze BC into irrelevance. The result would be capturing the money train from Portland to NYC . It would make fir a powerful regional trivalent with eyes.
Money train from Portland....? I'm sure the networks are salivating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom