OT: - Hot Dog recipes, bought too many | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Hot Dog recipes, bought too many

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
someone already offered the hot dog and potato dish, and someone already offered the hot dog and pepper thing, so i'll just toss in the hot dog and fresh cabbage one (if so inclined, add potatos, and/or fresh peppers, and/or …. but in all cases, don't forget the onions and spices). I could eat hot dogs or hamburgers even if my hair was on fire. hot dogs and baked beans? magnificent.

Reaction Score
Hot dogs sliced in Mac & Cheese
Hot dogs sliced in baked beans
Hot dogs sliced with sliced new potatoes (canned), onion and broccoli
Hot dogs sliced in your chili
Hot dogs in a bun topped with chili and cheese
Hot dogs wrapped in bacon in a bun with your favorite toppings

Reaction Score
Hot Dogs fried with onions and hot peppers. Anything is good with onions and hot peppers. Even pizza.

Reaction Score
I have really three go to hot dog‘recipes’. One is of course the classic chili dog. Make a pot of your best chili and after you’ve had chili and corn muffins the next day chili dogs are great. Don’t microwave hot dogs. Either grill or boil. If you boil you’ll notice the oil in the pan. This was in the hot dog.
Slaw dog. This is my wife’s favorite. Again boil hot dogs apply lots of coleslaw and yellow mustard. You can nuc the bun for a few seconds to get it nice and soft if you like.
Next is a kraut dog. The key is get good kraut. We use Boar’s Head from Publix. Boil the dogs, apply kraut with a good spicy mustard. Great !
last is my quick relish dog. Take a good dill pickle, refrigerated , and dice very small. Do the same to your good kraut. Mix with nice spicy mustard. Apply liberally. Very good dog.]

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
On stick covered in corn meal! Then deep fried. They are called corn dogs. Try em they are delicious
It won't help the OP, but Corn dewey is magnitudes better than corn dogs.
Basically a corndog made with andouille instead of a hot dog.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  • A hot dog with cole slaw and a kosher dill pickle spear is great.
  • So are hot dogs completely buried in fried onions. I never put anything else on with fried onions. As a condiment, they are the complete deal.
  • Sliced lengthwise, broiled, then put into the middle of a grilled cheese on Rye - the hot dog version of a patty melt.

Reaction Score
After reading through this thread, I find myself being thankful that I don't have 10 pounds of hot dogs in my house.

Does this make me a bad person?

Reaction Score
Overnight salad

Screenshot_20200330-222241.png

Reaction Score
Make corn muffin mix, spoon into mini muffin tin, stick in a piece of hot dog and a cube of Monterey Jack. Cook that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Slice them in half the long way and then cut them in thirds and grill them. Use them instead of bacon or sausage for breakfast.

I guess you could slice them up and serve them in tomato soup base pasta dish aka Spaghetti Os.

The good news is if scientist discover that the coronavirus is vulnerable to nitrates, you may just have figured out a cure.

Reaction Score
Growing up in a large family, hot dogs were a staple in our house. My mom made many different meals with hot dogs but this was a family favorite.
Stuffed Hot Dogs - Butterfly hot dog, spread roquefort blue cheese in the middle of the hot dog,line baking dish with stuffed dogs, pour ragu tomato sauce over hot dogs and bake for 30 minutes at 350.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Help, when I went shopping this morning, I bought hotdogs and forgot I had a bunch in the freezer, and now I have almost 10 1-lb packs. They are taking up too much room. I like hot dogs with baked beans, but my wife doesn't- I never saw video of how they are made but maybe she did, I don't know.
But what other ways are there to eat them (and not just in a bun, please)? Chili maybe?
Thanks!

Chili with no beans is the best bet. Hormel is ok, it's not quite DQ good but it will do.

Other option I liked as a kid. Slice two hotdogs in half lengthwise (still slight attached), put them in frying pan. After you flip, layer American cheese so that it drips as it melts and is fried up (like Shady Glen sort of). Toast two slices of bread, and make a sandwich. Ketchup (or that beanless chili) optional.

Reaction Score
Thanks Everyone, lots of good ideas. Most of hotdog packs I have are Dietz & Watson with natural casing, all beef I believe but might be pork/beef combo, plus McKensie brand. McKensie makes great meat products- their kielbasa is best I’ve ever had (and I’ve had lots).
Good tip about getting really good sauerkraut- I love it but usually get generic stuff, now I know better.
The recipes with dogs & pastry & cheese sound good. Not sure about cooking it with spaghetti sauce, maybe. But as a kid, we’d have for supper leftover nights & typically it would be spaghetti, hotdogs, baked beans and whatever else would easily feed large family cheaply. I loved putting on a hotdog some baked beans and then spaghetti on toast- that was tasty.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Go get some take out meat sauce from Capitol Lunch in New Britain. Support a local restaurant and you will be good to go.

"Meat sauce"? yeah, I think I'll pass on that.

Reaction Score
Go to Blackies in Cheshire/Waterbury line, and buy their relish they sell in jars. Go home and put that amazing relish and some spicy brown mustard on the hotdogs and you can eat like four at once. You'll never eat a hotdog the same way again. That relish is different.

Reaction Score
I have really three go to hot dog‘recipes’. One is of course the classic chili dog. Make a pot of your best chili and after you’ve had chili and corn muffins the next day chili dogs are great. Don’t microwave hot dogs. Either grill or boil. If you boil you’ll notice the oil in the pan. This was in the hot dog.
Slaw dog. This is my wife’s favorite. Again boil hot dogs apply lots of coleslaw and yellow mustard. You can nuc the bun for a few seconds to get it nice and soft if you like.
Next is a kraut dog. The key is get good kraut. We use Boar’s Head from Publix. Boil the dogs, apply kraut with a good spicy mustard. Great
Mustard, chili, and kraut is how I've always ordered my dogs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom