OT: - Hot Dog recipes, bought too many | The Boneyard

OT: Hot Dog recipes, bought too many

Reaction Score
Help, when I went shopping this morning, I bought hotdogs and forgot I had a bunch in the freezer, and now I have almost 10 1-lb packs. They are taking up too much room. I like hot dogs with baked beans, but my wife doesn't- I never saw video of how they are made but maybe she did, I don't know.
But what other ways are there to eat them (and not just in a bun, please)? Chili maybe?
Thanks!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cut them in half, butterfly them and serve on a sesame seed hamburger bun. Life changing experience compared to the hot dog bun version.

Or, if you have kids, try this.

1585595018456.png

Reaction Score
During quarantine I also heard they are good to have eating contests with but I don’t know that just sounds crazy!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have a vague memory, largely repressed until now, of my step mother occasionally making scrambled eggs with pieces of cut-up hot dogs in them.

It wasn't bad as I recall. Way better than Tuna Helper.

Reaction Score
Hot dogs and potatoes. Peel six potatoes and cut into small cubes, soak in water, have them ready to go before draining and adding to the pot at the time specified below.

Start by browning two pounds of hot dogs in a big pot in a little olive oil. Once browned, add a carton of chicken stock. Then add a small can of tomatoes (already blended smooth). Clean out excess sauce in the can with water and add full can of water to pot. Add the cubed potatoes. Heat to a slow boil, just above simmer and cook until potatoes are soft. Make sure you add salt, pepper, garlic powder, (crushed red pepper good too) to your particular tastes. Stir frequently. Watch that the sauce does not boil down to anything. If it does, add a little water. If you are concerned about acidity or bitterness from the small can of tomatoes, sauté onions when you brown the hot dogs, and/or add a very small amount of baking soda, half a teaspoon once everything is in the pot and simmering.

This is important, after about 30 minutes, dunk some good Italian bread in the sauce to make sure it tastes good. Don’t double dip. Even though it’s boiling, it is still unsanitary, especially in these strange times we live in.

Serve, like a stew, with or without a little pecorino romano.

Reaction Score
The Eagle Hotel in Harrisburg, PA has this appetizer of cut up sausages mixed with honey. I strongly recommend just replacing the sausage with hotdogs and drizzling honey on them. If you have kids they will love it. If you're drunk or high you will love it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am also reminded of friends of ours who add ground Mortadella as the secret ingredient in their meatloaf. Hot dogs are a basically as close to Mortadella as regular bologna is, so perhaps you can chop up one of the packages and mix it with ground beef in your favorite meatloaf recipe.

Reaction Score
My current guilty pleasure?

Cut up 3 hot dogs. I cut them on the bias so it's classy. I then air fry the discs in my air fryer. They get crispy on the outside and a little puffy. I put them in a bowl, top them with chili and cheese. Takes maybe 6 minutes start to finish.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Of the top of my head I can think of egg and hot dogs; egg, bacon and hot dogs; egg, bacon, sausage and hot dogs; hot dogs, bacon, sausage and hot dogs; hot dogs, egg, hot dogs, hot dogs, bacon and hot dogs; hot dogs, hot dogs, hot dogs, egg and hot dogs; hot dogs, hot dogs, hot dogs, hot dogs, hot dogs, hot dogs, baked beans, hot dogs, hot dogs, hot dogs and hot dogs; or lobster thermidor aux crevettes, with a mornay sauce garnished with truffle paté, brandy and a fried egg on top and hot dogs.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My current guilty pleasure?

Cut up 3 hot dogs. I cut them on the bias so it's classy. I then air fry the discs in my air fryer. They get crispy on the outside and a little puffy. I put them in a bowl, top them with chili and cheese. Takes maybe 6 minutes start to finish.

You cutting on the bias using the deli slicer?

Reaction Score
At least you're not pimping some Arby's hot dog....
Doesn’t really matter. He has 10 lbs. He needs to use them. Yeah, beef taste better to me, but any hot dogs work, depending on your preference. I assume that he has 10 lbs of the kind of hot dog he prefers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom