Hoping the media was told "hands off" | The Boneyard

Hoping the media was told "hands off"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I certainly understand a recruit with as much impact as Diamond Stone with his parents, needs to be treated with much respect. But over the years we've had people in and out making visited including the likes of Ray, Rip, Yell, Rudy and many others who never landed here but we always had a follow up article. And sometimes the article was while they were visiting.

I am hoping that KO and the staff said "stay clear" because if they didn't we are in huge trouble in regards to handling this team media wise. Not asking to bother them while enjoying their stay but show some respect and ask some questions about their trip and walk away without taking much time.

For Diamond Stone and his family to have been here and not have an article or blog regarding this in any way is very odd!

Reaction Score
I don't find it that odd. There was very little from his first visit if you recall.

Reaction Score
Are the Stones attending the football game?

I believe, thank God, no. Thursday and Friday visit was my understanding.

If he went to a Wisconsin game in Madison we do not want him going to the rent with any expectations especially this year! :eek:

Reaction Score
I don't find it that odd. There was very little from his first visit if you recall.

Seems unofficial visits come and go over the years while officials, in the past mind you, have always been followed with some sort of follow up for us to see. Again just curious as to why but no biggie. He and his family have handled this tremendously so maybe everyone stayed away for a reason!

On the other hand you probably have more than Dom or any of them so feel free to elaborate.;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This concept of the UConn football game versus Wisconsin football is overstated. I would think a basketball recruit would feel pretty good that the hoops team is the Top Dog at the school that is recruiting him (or her for that matter).
Not necessarily. The microcosm is often a good indicator of the macrocosm. Simply stated, some players, like fans on these forums, will be multi sport followers and some will be following only one sport. There is pretty good evidence that the men's and women's bb players follow and root for each other at UConn. This may or may not be the case at other schools.

So a bb recruit may or may not want the football team to be as successful as his team. #UConnpride!

Reaction Score
The only thing important that can not be overstated for recruits is the female overview/ratio on campus. I haven't been on campus in years but I hope we have something going on it that department. These recruits are still boys and pretty girls are quite often 2nd to basketball and above championships, facilities, etc..

Unless of course things have changed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. The microcosm is often a good indicator of the macrocosm. Simply stated, some players, like fans on these forums, will be multi sport followers and some will be following only one sport. There is pretty good evidence that the men's and women's bb players follow and root for each other at UConn. This may or may not be the case at other schools.

So a bb recruit may or may not want the football team to be as successful as his team. #UConnpride!
So you are saying it will either matter, or it won't. Insightful.;)

Reaction Score
The Stones seem to have rolled into town and no news was gathered. It's as though he's not a top 10 recruit but a complete unknown. They left him on his own.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I certainly understand a recruit with as much impact as Diamond Stone with his parents, needs to be treated with much respect. But over the years we've had people in and out making visited including the likes of Ray, Rip, Yell, Rudy and many others who never landed here but we always had a follow up article. And sometimes the article was while they were visiting.

I am hoping that KO and the staff said "stay clear" because if they didn't we are in huge trouble in regards to handling this team media wise. Not asking to bother them while enjoying their stay but show some respect and ask some questions about their trip and walk away without taking much time.

For Diamond Stone and his family to have been here and not have an article or blog regarding this in any way is very odd!

He's not the president ma! I don't think a reporter doing a story is going to affect his decision one way or another. If anything, it lets him know what the layout of the land is here.

Reaction Score
He and his family are extremely private. They do not do many to any press. I asked around and said t seems like the staff etc where asked to not say or leak Anything

Reaction Score

That makes no difference either way.

Reaction Score
The only thing important that can not be overstated for recruits is the female overview/ratio on campus. I haven't been on campus in years but I hope we have something going on it that department. These recruits are still boys and pretty girls are quite often 2nd to basketball and above championships, facilities, etc..

Unless of course things have changed.
If UConn was competing for recruits with girls on campus I don't think they would have won 4 championships in the last 16 years! No offense to the UConn co-eds but most warm weather schools would be kicking UConn's butt on the recruiting trail if that were a major decision making point.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Years ago, the media usually got to recruits on campus.

That's actually not permitted and it doesn't happen anymore.

pj

Reaction Score
If UConn was competing for recruits with girls on campus I don't think they would have won 4 championships in the last 16 years! No offense to the UConn co-eds but most warm weather schools would be kicking UConn's butt on the recruiting trail if that were a major decision making point.

If UConn was attracting players more interested in girls than basketball, we wouldn't have won 4 championships. Best to sell the coaching and basketball excellence and let the player choose where he belongs.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So you are saying it will either matter, or it won't. Insightful.;)
What I said is on weekends it matters and on weekdays it doesn't in months with 30 days. In months with 31 days it's the reverse. Feb its 50-50 except leap years in which everything reverses starting a new cycle.

Reaction Score
He and his family are extremely private. They do not do many to any press. I asked around and said t seems like the staff etc where asked to not say or leak Anything
;).......................

Reaction Score
He's not the president ma! I don't think a reporter doing a story is going to affect his decision one way or another. If anything, it lets him know what the layout of the land is here.

Not sure I said anything about a story affecting his decision nor did I compare him to Obama anywhere - if I did I do apologize?

My point is, and maybe you are too young, back to even Tony Scott dunking at The Field House and Rudy Johnson coming in to visit Storrs in the early 90's as well as Randall Jackson (recruits we got and didn't get) the media has found a way to get a story and/or pulse on how the visit went that's all I was implying. As a fan and a reader of the newspapers I appreciated the follow up and they gave me what myself and other fans were looking for knowing they were on campus.

On this one there probably was a well guarded visit with his parents and that's fine. Just making an observation I will be sure to check if it's okay with you next time!:rolleyes:

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

when criticizing mauconnfan, the best practice historically has been to refer to him as "mau." That is, unless you think of him as being "motherly," but to each his own.

Reaction Score
when criticizing mauconnfan, the best practice historically has been to refer to him as "mau." That is, unless you think of him as being "motherly," but to each his own.

Yeah Db2u, not big on "ma" ........the reference is belittling although I love my mom!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah Db2u, not big on "ma" ...the reference is belittling although I love my mom!

But I always say ma. For years now. I'm a man of habits.

In my head, I read "M. A. UCONN fan". so ma is M. A.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not sure I said anything about a story affecting his decision nor did I compare him to Obama anywhere - if I did I do apologize?

My point is, and maybe you are too young, back to even Tony Scott dunking at The Field House and Rudy Johnson coming in to visit Storrs in the early 90's as well as Randall Jackson (recruits we got and didn't get) the media has found a way to get a story and/or pulse on how the visit went that's all I was implying. As a fan and a reader of the newspapers I appreciated the follow up and they gave me what myself and other fans were looking for knowing they were on campus.

I remember Rudy. And I was hardly being serious (see excl point).

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was weirded-out by the silence from the press and. originally, by our insiders. I hope the family's discretion was the reason for this too.. The alternative could be depressing,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom