Hoop School Statement Coming, Would Be "Upset" If They Stay | The Boneyard

Hoop School Statement Coming, Would Be "Upset" If They Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
@McMurphyESPN: BE hoop schools expected to release statement on future soon. Source told @espn wld be an "upset" if they remained

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
McMurphy doesn't put out 'rumors' if he's saying it looks like they are leaving, then they are gone.

What a god damn shame. Never in my worst nightmare would I have envisioned the situation UConn is going to be facing in a couple of days.

Reaction Score
a pessimist would say that herbst isn't doing too well in this realignment thing.

"UConn president Susan Herbst has contacted officials from the non-FBS Big East members, pleading with them to stay in the league, sources told ESPN.

Ironically, Herbst, along with UConn and South Florida officials, heavily lobbied to get out of the Big East and join the ACC, when the league had to replace Maryland.

"I know this may seem like a tough moment for our fans, but we need to focus on the fundamentals of academic success across the university and in our athletic program as well," Herbst said in a statement when Louisville, and not UConn, was selected by the ACC last month."

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8742607&wjb

An optimist says she wants the Big East to still survive when uconn gets its Big Ten invite.

It's quickly looking like we will about to see if Herbst has navigated UConn successfully to a better place, or we are truly flucked.

Reaction Score
by the way it sounds like she is begging for them to stay it don't look good right now

zls44

Reaction Score
Football was a gigantic mistake. No doubt.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go quite that far yet- what is her motivation for pleading with them? there's the million $ question.

for support of mcmurphy's claim uconn heavily lobbied for acc, he uses a quote which doesn't support the premise, nor does he cite any other source, moreover mcmurphy's sources here are the catholics and/or the big east. he is locked out of the big ten ( he had no md or ru info, none) the big ten is soon to be all fox. he isn't privy to delany. that info comes out from chicago.

edited to add: look at the sloppy writing: herbst and south florida officials???? huh? what does that mean?

so before the chicken littles start braying, i think she knows uconn's future and it is big ger than the big east.

by the way it sounds like she is begging for them to stay it don't look good right now

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
so before the chicken littles start braying, i think she knows uconn's future and it is big ger than the big east.

Just how slow are you? Seriously.

There are no options right now. UConn tried to get into the ACC twice in the past year and were passed over both times. The mythical Big Ten invite has no basis in reality.

We're rather close to not actually belonging to a conference.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go quite that far yet- what is her motivation for pleading with them? there's the million $ question.

for support of mcmurphy's claim uconn heavily lobbied for acc, he uses a quote which doesn't support the premise, nor does he cite any other source, moreover mcmurphy's sources here are the catholics and/or the big east. he is locked out of the big ten ( he had no md or ru info, none) the big ten is soon to be all fox. he isn't privy to delany. that info comes out from chicago.

You really play a good double agent or are just bi-polar. I can't figure out what side you are on (if any).:)

Reaction Score
I think people are reading too much into her pleas. Even if there's a Big Ten deal on the horizon or a possibility, it isn't a guarantee. And even if it were, it won't be for a few years. She'd want to keep the conference together because it has huge implications on revenue. Between bowl and NCAA Tournament revenue, the dissolution of the league could cost the university several million a year. So naturally she wants to keep it together, even if it were likely they were going off somewhere else. It's a costly move.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Every single Big East raid, I would be depressed, but eventually convince myself it would be alright.

The Louisville raid, while an incredible blow to football, I still had convinced myself playing some tradition rivals in hoops would be alright.

Right now, I'm just exasperated and honestly just really sad.

With absolutely everything we've had going for us, to be in this position is shocking.

Very soon we'll be an all sports conference of:

UConn, Cincinnati, South Florida, Temple, Central Florida, Memphis, East Carolina, Tulane, Houston and SMU.

Where did it all go wrong? What could've been done differently? I just don't even know.

I think I have to re-evaluate and take a step back from all of this as it's actually literally ruining my days and nights. I feel just sad and depressed even thinking about.

This really, really, sucks.

ConnHuskBask, out, for now.

zls44

Reaction Score
Without an auto-bid. By the way.

A conference without an auto-bid. To anything. The Great West. Again.

Reaction Score
also, in late september i listened to a radio interview that mcmurphy did re realignment. this was after the bug notre dame statement re "realignment is over for a long time" claptrap came out. mcmurphy wholeheartedly agreed with that conventional wisdom.

i bet you dollars to donuts that a couple of the catholics, while snickering, said herbst called them to plead for them to stay. it's human nature to engage in schadenfreude, even catholics. so i know where his source came from.

as to why she would do it- she's been working with aresco for months to finaluze this thing. that work is gone if they leave.

pretend i am not delusional, for one second. what would herbst be doing differently if eg, she was told by delany when we go to 16, we want you. just play along- would you expect her to do anything differently than sustain the big east?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You're right, its all sunshine and friggin rainbows.

pots of gold, u forgot those. those are what the b10 gives out becuase it will have such a great tv contract.

espn right now is trying to kill the nbe before the b10 can act again. they can kill it by getting the bball schools to split and putting uconn in a situation where it can't wait any longer for a b10 invite to happen. so they force uconn to accept a acc invite knowing uconn has to move instead of staying. uconn staying could hurt themselves and never recover and that would make the b10 back off if we slowly die in the nbe. the minute the acc can do this and gain cincy and uconn it knows that it has 16 all sports teams and nd. they can they do this:
-get a gor going by majority vote. once schools like uconn and cincy join they are going to want to lock it up as they were forced and now have to do so. atleast 12 of the 16 schools would want a gor and then they would get it. second it allows nd to then think the acc is still good enough with the gor and join for fball in 2015. the acc then can look at memphis, usf and temple and have its pick to #18 in 2015. it haults the b10 capturing nyc and the northeast. then the acc can grab msg away from the big east bball league. the nbe/cusa2.0 is nothing competition wise and u have a claer big 5 not a argument to be made.

acc is trying to pull a huge move here. its now or never for the b10 to go for the kill. sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. uconn will be just fine either way.

if the b10 goes for it, and we get it, then we are officially gold. if we dont get the invite and another does then the acc picks us up anyway. or the acc pulls the strong arm move i said above and we go from the worst bcs conf to the new worst bcs conf but we put ourselves in a better future situation.

we are going to be on suicide watch for a bit here as we have, but white christmas, green wallet and blue cup will be how i celebrate soon. i just dont know how good the party will be yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just how slow are you? Seriously.

There are no options right now. UConn tried to get into the ACC twice in the past year and were passed over both times. The mythical Big Ten invite has no basis in reality.

We're rather close to not actually belonging to a conference.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
So we should package all our rights up and sell them to NBC for 18 million. Think about it. Without the Big East as an option NBC is going to have to order from the ala carte menu. Why shouldn't UConn be the first item after ND? Obviously ESPN knows that this is going to happen that is why they are attempting to devalue our program. They are nefarious.

Reaction Score
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that there are no guarantees in any of this crap. Until she has an offer in hand, she has to make the most of what she has, and that's the Big East -- and a Big East with the Catholics is better than one without.​

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
So we should package all our rights up and sell them to NBC for 18 million. Think about it. Without the Big East as an option NBC is going to have to order from the ala carte menu. Why shouldn't UConn be the first item after ND? Obviously ESPN knows that this is going to happen that is why they are attempting to devalue our program. The are nefarious.

Herbst should call the Big Ten and tell 'em, "Hey, great news! Remember that conference we wuz dating? Well, we're breaking up with 'em and we can be playing Big Ten basketball by the weekend!"

That is the call Delaney has been waiting for.

Reaction Score
watch this andy katz/mcmurphy piece be edited by the am.

i am not saying mcmurphy is lying. he isn't. catholic presidents (hi providence college), told him that after the mon meeting, herbst dialed everyone up and said, let this work out. again, before u go hari kari, would you expect her to do anything else if (delusional as i think) that there is fruitful dialogue btwn her and delany?

i am also a bit curious where this sudden public plea for the acc came from. i challenge anybody to link a cite to any source where uconn publically mentioned or plead for the acc after md left. link to it. we heard the story the other day, "catholics pizzed at uconn and cincy's behavior" after being rejected by the acc. hmmmm...someone, anyone, beuller....point to that public behavior. the only thing we have was a statement about "may seem like a tough moment".

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
UConn needs to play hardball with ESPN...NOW.

We have one more shot...the ACC will likely get raided again. If they wren't, they'd have a GOR right now. If we are not taken in the next, and probably last, round of expansion, we're done for 50 years.

Reaction Score
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that there are no guarantees in any of this crap. Until she has an offer in hand, she has to make the most of what she has, and that's the Big East -- and a Big East with the Catholics is better than one without.​

Which is why the less said by SH/WM- the better (even though it pisses off the BY and others to no end).

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22