Hoop School Statement Coming, Would Be "Upset" If They Stay | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hoop School Statement Coming, Would Be "Upset" If They Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fwiw, I recently heard that the dissolution is done deal and that some of the new league schools will be announced as soon as Saturday.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
my understanding is this, what am I missing

if they walk away now, they leave millions of dollars of exit fees on the table

if they walk away now, they leave 1.5 million per year on the table and are unlikely to receive as much as 1 million per year under any new deal

it seems they'd be walking away from more of what they need, I just don't understand that

there is one plausible explanation, some TV network promising big bucks as an opportunity to break into a market they're desperately trying to gain traction in

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They can make up the TV money with NCAA tourney money. And they will get the same if not more by leaving.

Reaction Score
a pessimist would say that herbst isn't doing too well in this realignment thing.

"UConn president Susan Herbst has contacted officials from the non-FBS Big East members, pleading with them to stay in the league, sources told ESPN.

Ironically, Herbst, along with UConn and South Florida officials, heavily lobbied to get out of the Big East and join the ACC, when the league had to replace Maryland.

"I know this may seem like a tough moment for our fans, but we need to focus on the fundamentals of academic success across the university and in our athletic program as well," Herbst said in a statement when Louisville, and not UConn, was selected by the ACC last month."

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/ncaa/story?storyId=8742607&wjb

An optimist says she wants the Big East to still survive when uconn gets its Big Ten invite.

It's quickly looking like we will about to see if Herbst has navigated UConn successfully to a better place, or we are truly flucked.

You are finally getting it. The silence from Uconn doesnt have any hidden meaning. JC's recent comments are nothing more than his hope and semi empty words. Everyone up at Uconn is trying to save face right now because they know we are screwed big time.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
1) Pudge brings up something that I have wondered since Tulane was intro'd. I know South Florida and Central Florida lobbied for Tulane. But as to whether there was a vote to invite - I don't know who or why or if.

2) A year ago, it was fairly established that the hoop schools would bolt if and when UConn left and to a lesser extent, if UL left. I doubt Tulane is the trigger its being made out to be.

3) UConn absolutely, positively lobbied very hard to get into the ACC. Theories to the contrary are being invented out of thin air - no truth to them.

4) There is no secret pact with the Big Ten. We're as far away from joining the Big Ten as we were five years ago. And tomorrow, we might be without a conference which will do nothing to enhance our already-dim prospects.

As of right now, we're in as bad a situation as we could have imagined - I'm not making this up and I'm not trying to be a dark cloud. There are a lot of people working very hard with little hope of success.

"3) UConn absolutely, positively lobbied very hard to get into the ACC. Theories to the contrary are being invented out of thin air - no truth to them.

As of right now, we're in as bad a situation as we could have imagined - I'm not making this up and I'm not trying to be a dark cloud. There are a lot of people working very hard with little hope of success"

Fishy, are these conclusions based on inside sources?

Reaction Score
pots of gold, u forgot those. those are what the b10 gives out becuase it will have such a great ****ing tv contract.

espn right now is trying to kill the nbe before the b10 can act again. they can kill it by getting the bball schools to split and putting uconn in a situation where it can't wait any longer for a b10 invite to happen. so they force uconn to accept a acc invite knowing uconn has to move instead of staying. uconn staying could hurt themselves and never recover and that would make the b10 back off if we slowly die in the nbe. the minute the acc can do this and gain cincy and uconn it knows that it has 16 all sports teams and nd. they can they do this:
-get a gor going by majority vote. once schools like uconn and cincy join they are going to want to lock it up as they were forced and now have to do so. atleast 12 of the 16 schools would want a gor and then they would get it. second it allows nd to then think the acc is still good enough with the gor and join for fball in 2015. the acc then can look at memphis, usf and temple and have its pick to #18 in 2015. it haults the b10 capturing nyc and the northeast. then the acc can grab msg away from the big east bball league. the nbe/cusa2.0 is nothing competition wise and u have a claer big 5 not a argument to be made.

acc is trying to pull a huge move here. its now or never for the b10 to go for the kill. sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. uconn will be just fine either way.

if the b10 goes for it, and we get it, then we are officially gold. if we dont get the invite and another does then the acc picks us up anyway. or the acc pulls the strong arm move i said above and we go from the worst bcs conf to the new worst bcs conf but we put ourselves in a better future situation.

we are going to be on suicide watch for a bit here as we have, but white christmas, green wallet and blue cup will be how i celebrate soon. i just dont know how good the party will be yet.
It may be time to give up on this

Reaction Score
pots of gold, u forgot those. those are what the b10 gives out becuase it will have such a great ****ing tv contract.

espn right now is trying to kill the nbe before the b10 can act again. they can kill it by getting the bball schools to split and putting uconn in a situation where it can't wait any longer for a b10 invite to happen. so they force uconn to accept a acc invite knowing uconn has to move instead of staying. uconn staying could hurt themselves and never recover and that would make the b10 back off if we slowly die in the nbe. the minute the acc can do this and gain cincy and uconn it knows that it has 16 all sports teams and nd. they can they do this:
-get a gor going by majority vote. once schools like uconn and cincy join they are going to want to lock it up as they were forced and now have to do so. atleast 12 of the 16 schools would want a gor and then they would get it. second it allows nd to then think the acc is still good enough with the gor and join for fball in 2015. the acc then can look at memphis, usf and temple and have its pick to #18 in 2015. it haults the b10 capturing nyc and the northeast. then the acc can grab msg away from the big east bball league. the nbe/cusa2.0 is nothing competition wise and u have a claer big 5 not a argument to be made.

acc is trying to pull a huge move here. its now or never for the b10 to go for the kill. sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. uconn will be just fine either way.

if the b10 goes for it, and we get it, then we are officially gold. if we dont get the invite and another does then the acc picks us up anyway. or the acc pulls the strong arm move i said above and we go from the worst bcs conf to the new worst bcs conf but we put ourselves in a better future situation.

we are going to be on suicide watch for a bit here as we have, but white christmas, green wallet and blue cup will be how i celebrate soon. i just dont know how good the party will be yet.
"sit back and enjoy the ride"????????????????
for over a year half this board has been teetering on meltdown while the other half has essentially lost it already... It's armageddon here.

Reaction Score
My conspiracy theory contribution: Blame Paul Tagliabue: The ultimate football man. Georgetown alum, signed on by the Providence mafia to conduct media relations & contract negotiations. As soon as he's called back to the NFL by his successor to oversee the Saints mess, all hell breaks loose. First he overturns the suspensions (thoroughly humiliating Roger Goodell in the process), then his alma mater is engineering a reverse schism while he gloats in the shadows. BRILLIANT!

Reaction Score
I just saw that the reported media deal is thought to be about 50 mil and that if the Catholic schools left it would devalue it by about 20% which means we are now down to about 40 mil. Holy geezus - look at what has happened to us in the last year or so. It simply cannot get any worse can it? I mean the next worse thing would be Uconn drops all sports or something isn't it?

Reaction Score
Independent is looking possible now. I know, it's tough, but it may be time to spin it as our choice. Be the first to announce it then go align Olympics with A10 or Catholics.

Reaction Score
I just saw that the reported media deal is thought to be about 50 mil and that if the Catholic schools left it would devalue it by about 20% which means we are now down to about 40 mil. Holy geezus - look at what has happened to us in the last year or so. It simply cannot get any worse can it? I mean the next worse thing would be Uconn drops all sports or something isn't it?
It couldn't get worse??? I thought that back during the original ACC raid.
I have a feeling it is going to get worse before it gets better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they cared about money, they'd try football.

It's about pride.
It's about not being pushed around any more.
It's about controlling their own futures for a change.
After a whole lot years of being in the trenches on the unwinding of entities, I can say with certainty that the items you list are fairly common justifications for change. In the end, though, they are always just that, justifications. It is always about the money.

CL82

Reaction Score
That is the most perfect video for this board...
I wonder if that's what HFD looks like.
LOL - man I needed that this morning. I wonder if there is a board philosphy coming out of that. There is no use worrying about this (insert profane modifier) situation. Might as well embrace that change is coming. #ridethebomb

Reaction Score
If nothing else, the blurb on Herbst should squash the Big Ten nonsense being peddled here.

It is nonsense but the Herbst blurb can be interpreted in a number of ways. The NCAA credits are in the tens of millions. Herbst needs to be seen as wanting to keep the conference (and the money that goes with it). If this money is all legally accounted for already, that's got to benefit UConn as well (i.e. UConn was responsible for a big chunk of it).

Any statement made in the next few weeks will have legal ramifications.

Reaction Score
This is no surprise. After ND, Cuse, and Pitt announced they were leaving, the basketball schools said they were OK with the BE if Louisville and UConn stayed. With only UConn left and a group of misfit schools, the basketball schools SHOULD leave and start fresh. Will their new conference be strong? No, it will be a mid major conference like the A10, but it could develop over time. Will they have a good media contract? It will be similar to the current BE contract, but lower than what potentially might have happened. Will they fill their arenas? Not as much as in the BE as the schools will clearly miss Syracuse, ND, UConn, and Louisville, but 3 of those schools were already gone, so they have to find the next best options.

Reaction Score
Fwiw, I recently heard that the dissolution is done deal and that some of the new league schools will be announced as soon as Saturday.

If those schools are Air Force and such, that would be good.

Reaction Score

But, you lose 45% of the schools and then the money drops by 20%.

That means more $$$.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is no surprise. After ND, Cuse, and Pitt announced they were leaving, the basketball schools said they were OK with the BE if Louisville and UConn stayed. With only UConn left and a group of misfit schools, the basketball schools SHOULD leave and start fresh. Will their new conference be strong? No, it will be a mid major conference like the A10, but it could develop over time. Will they have a good media contract? It will be similar to the current BE contract, but lower than what potentially might have happened. Will they fill their arenas? Not as much as in the BE as the schools will clearly miss Syracuse, ND, UConn, and Louisville, but 3 of those schools were already gone, so they have to find the next best options.
If the are going to be stuck with a mid-major tv contract, why incur big time travel costs? Why dilute traditional rivalries? I can't say I disagree with the BEBOs looking hard at this window of opportunity. I do think they screwed over the conference in the past, though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Catholic Schools have more vision and initiative than our people. Once the ACC snubbed us the second or third time, we should have exercised some initiative instead of "making do" .

Like what?

Reaction Score
The old BE was gone anyway. I'm not going to lament the departure of the Catholics.

Those saying that Uconn needs to form a union with them should consider what it feels like to be UMass. Because that's where UConn ends up in the end alongside the Catholics.

UConn has to go where football goes at this point, while maintaining its basketball in much the same fashion that Memphis had (when Calipari was there--and I don't mean bringing in kids with phony SATs). It has to remain viable for the next 5 years in football so that it eventually lands in a better place.

You don't throw in the towel now. That would be a huge signal that you never really believed or cared in the first place.

Reaction Score
UConn had one plan. Keep the BE together until an ACC bid came. Maryland left creating an opening and Louisville got the slot based on investment in their programs and working harder for the invite. The silence from UConn and state government officials is due to saying anything would put them in a bad light and open themselves up for blame. The article in the Courant stating that UConn had no chance for an invite over Louisville was the cover story so the leadership can point to it and say: "see, not our fault."

Reaction Score
If the are going to be stuck with a mid-major tv contract, why incur big time travel costs? Why dilute traditional rivalries? I can't say I disagree with the BEBOs looking hard at this window of opportunity. I do think they screwed over the conference in the past, though.

so that you can eventually join a bigger conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom