Hoop School Statement Coming, Would Be "Upset" If They Stay | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hoop School Statement Coming, Would Be "Upset" If They Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's a tough day but really, you have to stop feeling butthurt and realize that there are a lot of schools out there wanting to move up in a league in order to make themselves viable for the future. Why is Boise St. willing to enter this thing? Because they want an invite eventually to a better place. Same with so many other schools--we've already seen TCU do it.

The idea that UConn would willingly disarm and join with the Catholics now looks crazy to me.

You have to stick it out at least 5 more years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
so that you can eventually join a bigger conference.
I think (and hope and pray) that that is an option for us. I'm not sure it is for them. The BE's failed hybrid arrangement gave them a seat at the big boy table. They no longer have that either in the BE or outside of it. Going on their own is an adjustment to the new reality. They have a narrow window to exercise it. Pending compelling numbers to justify continued association, I vote to pull the rip cord if I am a BEBO president.

Reaction Score
One issue that I am curious is about is why as no one in the CT political scene spoken-up yet? When the first ACC raid took place, the folks in Richmond basically blackmailed the ACC to take V Tech instead of Syracuse. When Ville was fighting for their ACC bid, the Kentucky legislative leaders were screaming in the capitol. Connecticut has invested Billions into UConn over the last 30+ years and barely a peep from Hartford? Are they clueless or is something else going on?
The other thing I am curious about after last night’s news is if I can get a wet bar installed in my office or at least a fridge so I can dull the pain.

Reaction Score
Like what?

We should have put together a smaller football only conference, and proposed the new Hoop conference to the best of what was left in the Big East.

Look at this thing like a failing business that needs to be liquidated. Our Athletics Department is better of split amongst different conference. Staying in the Big East as it was going to be was a bad compromise!

CL82

Reaction Score
I know it's a tough day but really, you have to stop feeling butthurt and realize that there are a lot of schools out there wanting to move up in a league in order to make themselves viable for the future. Why is Boise St. willing to enter this thing? Because they want an invite eventually to a better place. Same with so many other schools--we've already seen TCU do it.

The idea that UConn would willingly disarm and join with the Catholics now looks crazy to me.

You have to stick it out at least 5 more years.
Upstater, I'm not sure if that post is aimed at me. I agree with you regarding UConn. I'm just saying that I understand the motivation of the BEBOs. They are at a decision point. They have a narrow window that they control their own destiny. They are smart to weigh their options, crunch the numbers and come to a stay or go decision (and I think the answer may well be go.) UConn needs to do whatever it is necessary to keep itself viable and part of big time athletics. Joining the BEBOs, except as OOC scheduling partners, is a last resort.

Reaction Score
Upstater, I'm not sure if that post is aimed at me. I agree with you regarding UConn. I'm just saying that I understand the motivation of the BEBOs. They are at a decision point. They have a narrow window that they control their own destiny. They are smart to weigh their options, crunch the numbers and come to a stay or go decision (and I think the answer may well be go.) UConn needs to do whatever it is necessary to keep itself viable and part of big time athletics. Joining the BEBOs, except as OOC scheduling partners, is a last resort.

It wasn't aimed at you. That's the general sentiment though. Many people are talking about emphasizing basketball now at the expense of football. I used to be on that bandwagon when I thought the football schools had a great bball conference and could get by on football. But this is the wrong time for that kind of move. The last resort is a matter of deemphasizing the entire athletics program. That time is not now.

Reaction Score
i'm asking for something even easier. all i'm asking for is a link/cite that uconn lobbied for an acc invite. we've got names/dates/emails/persons/faxes being sent re cincy and public comments from jurich, rpres ramsey and l'villes bot before lville was added. even its senator mcconnel.

does anyone have anything re uconn. still haven't seen it.

and then a link/cite that backs up the claim the catholics were pizzed at how cincy and uconn acted (uconn?) after l'ville was added.

One issue that I am curious is about is why as no one in the CT political scene spoken-up yet? When the first ACC raid took place, the folks in Richmond basically blackmailed the ACC to take V Tech instead of Syracuse. When Ville was fighting for their ACC bid, the Kentucky legislative leaders were screaming in the capitol. Connecticut has invested Billions into UConn over the last 30+ years and barely a peep from Hartford? Are they clueless or is something else going on?
The other thing I am curious about after last night’s news is if I can get a wet bar installed in my office or at least a fridge so I can dull the pain.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Raphielle Johnson@raphiellej
Kinda wonder if UConn would consider FB independence/go with hoops schools (if those schools allow them in).

Really think this is our best option

A more viable idea would be for FB to stick with Boise et al and for BB to go independent. We don't need a tourney to get an NCAA bid, our TV deal would be OK and we'd keep all of our own tourney credits.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
A more viable idea would be for FB to stick with Boise et al and for BB to go independent. We don't need a tourney to get an NCAA bid, our TV deal would be OK and we'd keep all of our own tourney credits.

Interesting. Never thought about that before. The problem of course is that the possibility of scheduling games in February against decent teams is next to nil.

Reaction Score
pots of gold, u forgot those. those are what the b10 gives out becuase it will have such a great ****ing tv contract.

espn right now is trying to kill the nbe before the b10 can act again. they can kill it by getting the bball schools to split and putting uconn in a situation where it can't wait any longer for a b10 invite to happen. so they force uconn to accept a acc invite knowing uconn has to move instead of staying. uconn staying could hurt themselves and never recover and that would make the b10 back off if we slowly die in the nbe. the minute the acc can do this and gain cincy and uconn it knows that it has 16 all sports teams and nd. they can they do this:
-get a gor going by majority vote. once schools like uconn and cincy join they are going to want to lock it up as they were forced and now have to do so. atleast 12 of the 16 schools would want a gor and then they would get it. second it allows nd to then think the acc is still good enough with the gor and join for fball in 2015. the acc then can look at memphis, usf and temple and have its pick to #18 in 2015. it haults the b10 capturing nyc and the northeast. then the acc can grab msg away from the big east bball league. the nbe/cusa2.0 is nothing competition wise and u have a claer big 5 not a argument to be made.

acc is trying to pull a huge move here. its now or never for the b10 to go for the kill. sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. uconn will be just fine either way.

if the b10 goes for it, and we get it, then we are officially gold. if we dont get the invite and another does then the acc picks us up anyway. or the acc pulls the strong arm move i said above and we go from the worst bcs conf to the new worst bcs conf but we put ourselves in a better future situation.

we are going to be on suicide watch for a bit here as we have, but white christmas, green wallet and blue cup will be how i celebrate soon. i just dont know how good the party will be yet.

Just to be clear Dan, when you say UConn will be fine "either way," you are referring to one of two ways that do not exist at the moment as opposed to the situation that does exist at the moment.

I really do pray you are correct. It's not that I think that we won't find a landing place eventually, because I still think it is more likely than not that we do, but the consequences of not finding a landing place are rapidly increasing from sucking to catastrophic.

Reaction Score
Tulane to the Big East:Catholic schools::UConn to the ACC:Florida State

That's really silly, even for you. Tulane was not added over the Catholic schools saying "we're leaving if it's in." Even if the Catholic schools didn't have the right to block Tulane, which I find impossible to believe in the first place.

The Catholics said 15 months ago that if the Big East lost either of UConn of LV, it would no longer make sense for them. They are determining now if that is in fact true.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear Dan, when you say UConn will be fine "either way," you are referring to one of two ways that do not exist at the moment as opposed to the situation that does exist at the moment.

You don't mean............deal in reality?

Reaction Score
You don't mean............deal in reality?

Actually, I don't mean it quite that strongly. I don't think Dan's analysis of possibilities is off base. I just think that until either of those scenarios comes to pass, there is also a realistic chance that neither will. And then #cryharder is all that is left.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Never thought about that before. The problem of course is that the possibility of scheduling games in February against decent teams is next to nil.
Yea, get ready for a SOS of about 300 after paying home games against Citadel, East Tennessee, and Presbyterian in February.

Imagine the attendance....

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

I don't think they're clueless. I just don't think they care.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't think they're clueless. I just don't think they care.
Interesting comment from our resident ESPN guy.

zls44

Reaction Score
The old BE was gone anyway. I'm not going to lament the departure of the Catholics.

Those saying that Uconn needs to form a union with them should consider what it feels like to be UMass. Because that's where UConn ends up in the end alongside the Catholics.

UConn has to go where football goes at this point, while maintaining its basketball in much the same fashion that Memphis had (when Calipari was there--and I don't mean bringing in kids with phony SATs). It has to remain viable for the next 5 years in football so that it eventually lands in a better place.

You don't throw in the towel now. That would be a huge signal that you never really believed or cared in the first place.

1. A new conference with the new schools would require an NCAA waiver to get an autobid. To anything. I think they'd get it, but it bears mentioning.

2. Do you need such a move as proof that nobody believed or cared in it in the first place? Really? This association was an "In case of emergency, add SDSU and Tulane" idea, nothing more. I think UConn has already made it more than obvious that they never believed or cared about it in the first place.

zls44

Reaction Score
Interesting comment from our resident ESPN guy.

It's a Connecticut thing. It's also a product of being in a state where the local media guys care enough to cover the games, but not put in the legwork of developing sources and being able to break those types of sources. Why? Because in Connecticut, college athletics is a nice little idea, but there are other things for people to get worked up over and attached to. It's why the football post game shows have no callers on WTIC, even when the team was good, why the local TV stations cover the football program after terrible high school football, why every commenter on every newspaper blog or article that Jim Calhoun is a jerk or that the school shouldn't spend so much money on athletics.

It's just different here. People don't care about college sports the way they do in the South. I think every person on here is every bit the fan that you'd find at any SEC tailgate, but its just a very small percentage of the general public. It's a culture thing. I think UConn can get there, but you can't just make up 100 years of passion overnight.

Reaction Score
1. A new conference with the new schools would require an NCAA waiver to get an autobid. To anything. I think they'd get it, but it bears mentioning.

2. Do you need such a move as proof that nobody believed or cared in it in the first place? Really? This association was an "In case of emergency, add SDSU and Tulane" idea, nothing more. I think UConn has already made it more than obvious that they never believed or cared about it in the first place.

If 2, then Umass.

Reaction Score
Lots of people today being added to the list for my future "These people can suck it" thread.

Just FYI.

People here were pissed and embarrassed by "BegHarder", which didn't work.

Now, school leaders are actually behaving with a modicum of self-respect, and people are still bouncing off the walls.

Make up your friggin' minds.

B1G required Md to sign a confidentiality agreement before it would even enter into preliminary talks. I tend to think they'd do the same for others.

Personally, I'd wait until B1g gets to 18 before thinking of jumping off a bridge. If B1G gets to 18 and we haven't been invited, and ACC has made its moves and we're still ignored, go ahead and panic.

Until then, chill the hell out and stop beating your dog.

Reaction Score
It's a Connecticut thing. It's also a product of being in a state where the local media guys care enough to cover the games, but not put in the legwork of developing sources and being able to break those types of sources. Why? Because in Connecticut, college athletics is a nice little idea, but there are other things for people to get worked up over and attached to. It's why the football post game shows have no callers on WTIC, even when the team was good, why the local TV stations cover the football program after terrible high school football, why every commenter on every newspaper blog or article that Jim Calhoun is a jerk or that the school shouldn't spend so much money on athletics.

It's just different here. People don't care about college sports the way they do in the South. I think every person on here is every bit the fan that you'd find at any SEC tailgate, but its just a very small percentage of the general public. It's a culture thing. I think UConn can get there, but you can't just make up 100 years of passion overnight.

The moaning commenters at the Courant sound like BC fans to me--just like DiMauro in the southeast corner.

zls44

Reaction Score
The moaning commenters at the Courant sound like BC fans to me--just like DiMauro in the southeast corner.

BC-FAN

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Much easier to schedule BB as an Indy than FB. Many would be on Nat'l TV. Think ESPN would pay 2-3M for Tier one rights to BB? Maybe we don't get a Duke in late Feb, but we'd get a Butler to play. Only down side is the two weeks off for conference tourney week. Maybe hold an open date for a bracket buster game.

If stuck we should be creative. IMO,it's better that than being in the CYO. Why do it just to play Gtown, Stj, and Nova?

zls44

Reaction Score
Much easier to schedule BB as an Indy than FB. Many would be on Nat'l TV. Think ESPN would pay 2-3M for Tier one rights to BB? Maybe we don't get a Duke in late Feb, but we'd get a Butler to play. Only down side is the two weeks off for conference tourney week. Maybe hold an open date for a bracket buster game.

If stuck we should be creative. IMO,it's better that than being in the CYO. Why do it just to play Gtown, Stj, and Nova?

After February 1, UConn would have nobody to play. Nobody.

Reaction Score
ND couldn't pull off being independent through the 1980s. Let's not forget, they were darn good in basketball in the 1960s and 70s.

I'm very skeptical of getting a good schedule as a bb indy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom