Home & Home Series with Arizona | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Home & Home Series with Arizona

Reaction Score
damn the AAC and PAC12 minus well work together and do a AAC/PAC12 challenge

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It's a stupid premise to post the records of Hall of Fame coaches that started out slowly as their are literally thousands of coaches that started out poorly and we're fired and never amounted to anything.

Pointing out early records isn't really an indication of anything. Good, bad or indifferent.

I suppose someone like you knows who's going to be good or not. I'm not that smart, you see someone like me says the jury is still out, for now.

But feel free to hate away, I'm never going to deny you that right. just don't get so angry when people suggest we might actually be good next year.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Because CV is shaky defensively and Trier is a potential NBA 1st round selection who can score in a multitude of ways.

And Trier is a 'roid freak. We're doomed!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I suppose someone like you knows who's going to be good or not. I'm not that smart, you see someone like me says the jury is still out, for now.

But feel free to hate away, I'm never going to deny you that right. just don't get so angry when people suggest we might actually be good next year.

I mean, my response pretty clearly states that pointing out a couple different coaches records from 40 years ago or an individual basketball game from over 20 years now is no indication that our coach or program is headed in the right direction. You keep posting it so you must think it's right.

Me? I see 2 missed tourneys in 3 seasons. Only 9 scholarships filled at the end of April.

So sorry I don't take solace in what Dean Smith started out his career at UNC half a century ago.

Reaction Score
I am stoked for the PK80, I signed up for the pre-sale tix

pj

Reaction Score
It's a stupid premise to post the records of Hall of Fame coaches that started out slowly as their are literally thousands of coaches that started out poorly and we're fired and never amounted to anything.

Pointing out early records isn't really an indication of anything. Good, bad or indifferent.

If records early in a coach's career aren't an indication of anything, then we can't read anything negative into Ollie's 16-17 record in 2016-17. I'm glad you're going to turn off your negativity.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I didn't compare anyone to anything.

Do try to keep up.
So, basically, you get all aggressive questioning one half of a poorly proportioned analogy and then gratuitously sour when someone adopts the same tone and questions the other half of the analogy?

Sounds like you could use a nap, a hug, a colonic, or a punch.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If records early in a coach's career aren't an indication of anything, then we can't read anything negative into Ollie's 16-17 record in 2016-17. I'm glad you're going to turn off your negativity.

A different coaches record, especially without context, has no bearing on the future of a different coach.

Can you be more dense?

Reaction Score
Good stuff. I'll try and check out most of those places.

Don't consider myself a lib or conservative, but still fall into the trap of painting people into a box from just a few cesspool quotes. In reality, if you want to get to know someone, one of the last things to consider would be political stuff. Jmo

You're right but it is hard not to consider political stuff.

pj

Reaction Score
A different coaches record, especially without context, has no bearing on the future of a different coach.

Can you be more dense?

If the early records of other coaches didn't predict their future performance, then KO's early performance doesn't predict his future performance.

If KO's early record does predict his future performance, then winning a national championship, .649 winning percentage overall, .875 NCAA tourney winning percentage, is predictive of success.

Either way, you've got no basis for your negativity.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If the early records of other coaches didn't predict their future performance, then KO's early performance doesn't predict his future performance.

If KO's early record does predict his future performance, then winning a national championship, .649 winning percentage overall, .875 NCAA tourney winning percentage, is predictive of success.

Either way, you've got no basis for your negativity.

How do you not understand that you can't just select specific coaches that fit your narrative and offer them up as indications that they succeeded, but ignore the reality of our current situation.

What one coach did has no bearing on KO. It's not hard to grasp that.

I haven't said one way if I think Ollie will succeed or fail. The current trend isn't good though.

You seem to be positive for the sake of being positive. Fine. Just don't call someone out for being more analytical and concerned at the state of affairs.

pj

Reaction Score
How do you not understand that you can't just select specific coaches that fit your narrative and offer them up as indications that they succeeded, but ignore the reality of our current situation.

What one coach did has no bearing on KO. It's not hard to grasp that.

I haven't said one way if I think Ollie will succeed or fail. The current trend isn't good though.

You seem to be positive for the sake of being positive. Fine. Just don't call someone out for being more analytical and concerned at the state of affairs.

Everyone's life has ups and downs; they tend to revert to the mean. KO's mean is below his peak achievement (a national championship) but above his worst performance to date (a 16-17 record, 96 kenpom ranking). You cannot take the bottom of a down period, extrapolate a downward trajectory from preceding peak, and project that into the future to predict failure. That's not how basketball coaching works, it's not how life works.

In short -- the mean performance of the last five years is much more predictive of KO's future than the recent trend. You are too negative because you are over-emphasizing the trend and under-emphasizing the national championship.

Reaction Score
Everyone's life has ups and downs; they tend to revert to the mean. KO's mean is below his peak achievement (a national championship) but above his worst performance to date (a 16-17 record, 96 kenpom ranking). You cannot take the bottom of a down period, extrapolate a downward trajectory from preceding peak, and project that into the future to predict failure. That's not how basketball coaching works, it's not how life works.

In short -- the mean performance of the last five years is much more predictive of KO's future than the recent trend. You are too negative because you are over-emphasizing the trend and under-emphasizing the national championship.
(Standing Ovation)

Reactions: pj

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

And again if you want to point out where I said Ollie is doomed to fail be my guest.

I think the downward trend is quite concerning and if he doesn't right the ship, UConn will have no choice but to move on.

My main premise was that citing Hall of Fame coaches records through the same time period as Ollie's has no bearing on anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom