Home & Home Series with Arizona | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Home & Home Series with Arizona

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I still think we were more talented than them top to bottom.
I agree - the 1999 Huskies man for man were, in my opinion, more talented and hungry than the Duke team. The difference was national perception because all you heard about was how strong Duke was - the ACC that year wasn't the best either.
If the two teams played 10 times, I would not hesitate to say that UConn would win the majority. UConn was the back alley brawlers and Duke were the prom queens.

Reaction Score
No ... but we had more talent at the guard spots and that made the difference.

We also had one other thing - a coaching staff that totally out-coached the Duke coaching staff. The other key to that first Championship, in addition to our superlative guard play, was the game plan devised by Calhoun and Karl Hobbs, Tom Moore and Dave Leitao. It was masterful. The big on big double teams when Duke would get the ball into the post to Elton Brand was pure genius.

Brand finished with only 15 points in that game... and more importantly was largely a non-factor. Their frontcourt was projected to be their big advantage over us, particularly Brand matching up against Kevin Freeman and/or anyone else we would guard him with. We negated it. Proved to be a big key to our victory. Our guard/wing play was great as well, of course.

One stat in particular we all wish we could see more of that stood out - WE OUTREBOUNDED DUKE BY 11 IN THAT GAME. Like all of you, I miss those days when we imposed our will and toughness on even our best opponents.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The replies in this thread are beautiful.

Using then 1999 team vs Duke, is very rich.

Almost as great as posting Coach K's first two season records.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Did you just compare next year's team with the 1999 team?

I think Souley would get 35 minutes a game next year.

Reaction Score
Because CV is shaky defensively and Trier is a potential NBA 1st round selection who can score in a multitude of ways.
I believe CV can effectively guard him. Stop him? No, but who can in college. CV was shaky to begin the yr. But by the end of the yr was very effective and disruptive

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One stat in particular we all wish we could see more of that stood out - WE OUTREBOUNDED DUKE BY 11 IN THAT GAME. Like all of you, I miss those days when we imposed our will and toughness on even our best opponents.

That was JC's greatest skill. Never seen a MCBB coach ever do it to that level.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Really wish all our premier OOC games of late didn't all fall on this one upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Really wish all our premier OOC games of late didn't all fall on this one upcoming season.
It really is unfortunate. The only bright side (and I'm reallyyyy stretching here) is that recruits will see us playing big time games even when our program is down. It should mean some increased exposure and playing more big games, gonna be up to KO and staff to use that to their advantage

Reaction Score
I'll be there +1

I requested Thanksgiving off as soon as the Nike tournament was announced, anticipating some serious basketball in Portland, around which I'd take my girl for a week in the city. Now that we will probably sputter through this tournament, I can do a big Vegas/Southern Utah trip then and check out Portland when the weather is decent.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I requested Thanksgiving off as soon as the Nike tournament was announced, anticipating some serious basketball in Portland, around which I'd take my girl for a week in the city. Now that we will probably sputter through this tournament, I can do a big Vegas/Southern Utah trip then and check out Portland when the weather is decent.

Outside of vegan lifestyle options, and beautiful country, I can't imagine you in Portland. Hipster Hippies for days.

Reaction Score
Outside of vegan lifestyle options, and beautiful country, I can't imagine you in Portland. Hipster Hippies for days.
One of the best years of my life was when I lived in Cambridge (my collective 3 in Boston certainly
are). I'm only 26 man I like that stuff. Lord Hobo is my favorite bar in Boston; look it up and check it
out. To put it as decently and as inoffensive as possible I did some serious damage in Davis Square out in Somerville. I'm as deep as anyone can be in the craft beer scene here in San Diego... well as deep as a patron can go hahahah

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The replies in this thread are beautiful.

Using then 1999 team vs Duke, is very rich.

Almost as great as posting Coach K's first two season records.

those were the 1st eight seasons, and a very appropriate analogy trying to remind people coaches usually need time to find their own mojo

although it did fly over the head of a lot of fans

it actually offended some people too, kinda weird

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
those were the 1st eight seasons, and a very appropriate analogy trying to remind people coaches usually need time to find their own mojo

although it did fly over the head of a lot of fans

it actually offended some people too, kinda weird

It's a stupid premise to post the records of Hall of Fame coaches that started out slowly as their are literally thousands of coaches that started out poorly and we're fired and never amounted to anything.

Pointing out early records isn't really an indication of anything. Good, bad or indifferent.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
One of the best years of my life was when I lived in Cambridge (my collective 3 in Boston certainly
are). I'm only 26 man I like that stuff. Lord Hobo is my favorite bar in Boston; look it up and check it
out. To put it as decently and as inoffensive as possible I did some serious damage in Davis Square out in Somerville. I'm as deep as anyone can be in the craft beer scene here in San Diego... well as deep as a patron can go hahahah

Ha, never would have picked that. Pretty much nobody bothers me outside of uptight or snobby people, so I'll check out Lord hobo. I don't make it out to Davis much, but have been looking for a new scene.

Reaction Score
Ha, never would have picked that. Pretty much nobody bothers me outside of uptight or snobby people, so I'll check out Lord hobo. I don't make it out to Davis much, but have been looking for a new scene.
Lord Hobo is around the corner from where I lived in Cambridge. About 3/4 mile up Windsor St from MIT. It's completely on its own as you'll see if you ever go, but not too far off is Inman Square where my second favorite Boston bar, The Druid resides. Bukowski is right there in Inman as well, along with a few solid and diverse restaurants. The other direction down Hampshire leads you to Kendall Square with Friendly Toast.

For Davis, find Saloon, Rosebud, Mike's, Five Horses (if you haven't been to the original in the South End), Boston Burger Company, and the theatre

Edit if you want to really understand my personality and tastes, check out those places hahahah

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Lord H
obo, Inman Square, The Druid, Bukowski. The other direction down Hampshire leads you to Kendall Square with Friendly Toast.

For Davis, find Saloon, Rosebud, Mike's, Five Horses

Good stuff. I'll try and check out most of those places.

Edit if you want to really understand my personality and tastes, check out those places hahahah

Don't consider myself a lib or conservative, but still fall into the trap of painting people into a box from just a few cesspool quotes. In reality, if you want to get to know someone, one of the last things to consider would be political stuff. Jmo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom