Holy black eye, batman! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Holy black eye, batman!

Reaction Score
Yes they can ask if they think that it was a flagrant foul. Texas did that last year against Lou.

I thought that was only if a foul was called and no foul was called on that play.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I thought that was only if a foul was called and no foul was called on that play.
Since the clock was stopped, Geno could of requested a review, or at the next time stoppage. That's what happened last year at the FF, no foul was called at the time, but at the next stoppage of play they reviewed where Lou got hit in the head and a flagrant foul was called. Lou hit the two foul shoots to tie the score, but Saniya lost the ball after it had been in bounded.

Reaction Score
At the time I was more concerned with the ankle tweak late in the first half (33:37 on the huskygames replay). I had seen no mention of it, and was hoping I'd only imagined it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just watched the replay of that sequence. For a moment, Lou is moving toward Caron-Goudreau, but C-G is also extending her arm and moving it outward toward Lou. I watched a lot of WNBA games last season. That would have been a flagrant foul without doubt. Any contact above the shoulders was scrutinized on replay. The refs missed a fairly obvious call last night.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Lou is not just a pretty face. She is a very tough player. How many could play sick, and get hit in the eye and it swell shut? To me the refs allow teams to beat up on UConn, and when UConn players respond, they are hit with a foul. The Texas player should have been hit with a foul, for the elbow to Lou's eye. I hope Lou eye heals quickly.

Reaction Score
How can Lou run into the kid's elbow? See yourself ..

View attachment 27798

I can not say if it was on purpose or not. However after watching replay and then this picture one has to ask why her arms are up there? Look at Gabby and where the ball is, what purpose does she have for swinging her arm that high in that direction.

Kia is a great textbook example to compare to, when her arm is up its in the player's face she is defending. She is not swinging them wildly in the middle of the floor.[/QUOTE]

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
I can not say if it was on purpose or not. However after watching replay and then this picture one has to ask why her arms are up there? Look at Gabby and where the ball is, what purpose does she have for swinging her arm that high in that direction.

Kia is a great textbook example to compare to, when her arm is up its in the player's face she is defending. She is not swinging them wildly in the middle of the floor.
[/QUOTE]
My point exactly....

Reaction Score
At the time I was more concerned with the ankle tweak late in the first half (33:37 on the huskygames replay). I had seen no mention of it, and was hoping I'd only imagined it.
I forgot to watch, but previous game, Lou had a heavy ankle brace on. I don't remember seeing it this game.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Lou and some of her teammates look too happy. They should read this board and that'll be cured.
I guess they should have been really upset, they won a hard fought game. I know I was. NOT

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Kia is a great textbook example to compare to, when her arm is up its in the player's face she is defending. She is not swinging them wildly in the middle of the floor.
[/QUOTE]
Caron-Godreau, who otherwise played a good game, committed a flagrant foul on that play that was not called. Lou came up to set a screen, and rather than move her feet to be in position to fight over the screen, Caron-Goudreau flung her left harm up hitting Lou in the face. That’s not a basketball move in any way, shape or form, and it’s also not unintentional.

Had Geno or his coaches been fully aware of it when it happened during the game, calling for a review, it could well have been a flagrant 2 and an ejection IMO.

Reaction Score
Coaches can ask for reviews?
He seemed pretty heated with the refs when they showed it during the start of the second half. My question is how do we know if he did or did not ask? Also when asking for a review doesn't it have to be for an intentional foul? I do think it was all accidental... but that is why I think it should have been a common foul.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
He seemed pretty heated with the refs when they showed it during the start of the second half. My question is how do we know if he did or did not ask? Also when asking for a review doesn't it have to be for an intentional foul? I do think it was all accidental... but that is why I think it should have been a common foul.....
I believe a review can be requested for any play that can be dangerous whether intentional or not, hence the difference between a Flagrant 1 and Flagrant 2.

As I commented in a prior post, Caron-Goudreau’s high arm bar to Lou’s face is not a basketball move in any way, and it was intentional. So in my opinion it was a Flagrant foul that could have resulted in ejection.

Reaction Score
You think all this stuff that happens to Lou is accidental? It's strange how it doesn't seem to happen to any of our non-NPOY-candidate players.

Reaction Score

Lou and some of her teammates look too happy. They should read this board and that'll be cured.
I guess they should have been really upset, they won a hard fought game. I know I was. NOT

Not really understanding the context of the first post. I do not think anyone in this thread said anything about them not being happy... and your comments about looking at this board curing them again is just odd. I would think that they would be happy to see their fans supporting them and pointing out what we saw. This thread here does nothing to diminish what an amazing job they did against a very good and physical Texas team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You think all this stuff that happens to Lou is accidental? It's strange how it doesn't seem to happen to any of our non-NPOY-candidate players.
Some of the hits on Lou occur because she initiates contact as well as any player in WBB, but I also have to agree that Lou has taken an excessive amount of physical abuse in the past two seasons.

In part, it’s because Lou is incredibly talented, so the abuse that Lou is getting is something of a sign of respect that players like DT, Maya and Stewie all had to endure.

But there is also an element in the physical play that seems clearly designed to intimidate Lou, and that concerns me. Perhaps it has to do with the misperception that Lou is soft due to her easygoing nature and CA cool.

Lou has proven that she’s as tough as nails, but the coaches and referees are going to have to do more to protect her from the inordinate number of cheap shots directed her way before she sustains a serious injury.

Reaction Score
I just watched the replay of that sequence. For a moment, Lou is moving toward Caron-Goudreau, but C-G is also extending her arm and moving it outward toward Lou. I watched a lot of WNBA games last season. That would have been a flagrant foul without doubt. Any contact above the shoulders was scrutinized on replay. The refs missed a fairly obvious call last night.
Have to agree after seeing this video. For the record, Rebecca Lobo very rarely sees contact as being foul-worthy...my guess is this is more an aspect of her on-screen persona than anything else...

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Have to agree after seeing this video. For the record, Rebecca Lobo very rarely sees contact as being foul-worthy...my guess is this is more an aspect of her on-screen persona than anything else...
Rebecca did state later that she was mistaken and it should have been a foul, and apologized for it.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don't think it was inadvertent. To me it looked like the girl saw a screen coming and started to clear a path to go over the screen. Intentional contact by the Texas player, but no intent to injure. The move wasn't malicious just basketball contact.

Reaction Score
I don't recall seeing a replay from the angle shown above, and at the time thought it was inadvertent, and was not upset with the no call. Watching this video today, I'm wondering what the heck that girl was doing!! Clearly should have been reviewed and I think they would have called a foul. All in all, I think all three referees made way too many bad calls and bad no calls. I've long felt strongly that these officials work way too many games, especially the high profiles refs doing high profile games. I've seen Dee Kantner four times within a week including UCF at Gampel. Besides UCONN - Texas, she did the Louisville - ND blowout and one other that I saw on TV. Many refs have other significant jobs that bring pressure and responsibility, as well as all the other demands that come along with life, family, and personal issues. I spoke to one of the best over the weekend, and he told me it may be the last time I will see him. He's been officiating 47 years, and will be retiring this year and having replacement hip surgery. He started while in college, his 1st job paid $3, and worked his way up from men's and women's games, including the Women's Final Four. Unfortunately, the hip problem precludes him doing AAC games.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't think it was inadvertent. To me it looked like the girl saw a screen coming and started to clear a path to go over the screen. Intentional contact by the Texas player, but no intent to injure. The move wasn't malicious just basketball contact.
Any hit above the shoulders is supposed to be reviewed, and if contact is made with the elbows it supposed to be called a foul, whether there is intent or not.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Any hit above the shoulders is supposed to be reviewed, and if contact is made with the elbows it supposed to be called a foul, whether there is intent or not.
true. especially since IMHO the contact was intentional

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom