Holy black eye, batman! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Holy black eye, batman!

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
The Refs should have stopped the game and looked at the replay, since Lou had to leave the game.

30 to 60 point wins by UCONN Women's Basketball, HAVE and WILL continue to have, a built-in reaction, especially with TV networks, other teams, referees seeking to accomplish the RIGHT or BEST way to call a game. Seeking to "be nice" to the poor underdogs is
now rampant and understandable. PROBLEM is that rugby, hockey, wrestling have NO place in the sport of basketball. A little sympathy and seeking more competitive, close games, is nice, HOWEVER that turns into allowing grabbing, holding, blocking, charging, slapping, etc. Not being as quick, in as good condition, as athletic and more (all do to GOOD OLD HARD WORK) is negated for other objectives, mentioned above.

Reaction Score
30 to 60 point wins by UCONN Women's Basketball, HAVE and WILL continue to have, a built-in reaction, especially with TV networks, other teams, referees seeking to accomplish the RIGHT or BEST way to call a game. Seeking to "be nice" to the poor underdogs is
now rampant and understandable. PROBLEM is that rugby, hockey, wrestling have NO place in the sport of basketball. A little sympathy and seeking more competitive, close games, is nice, HOWEVER that turns into allowing grabbing, holding, blocking, charging, slapping, etc. Not being as quick, in as good condition, as athletic and more (all do to GOOD OLD HARD WORK) is negated for other objectives, mentioned above.

Agree with the OP. It is a natural reaction to show a little benevolence to the underdog whether its the refs swallowing their whistles or sports journalists reporting what they think they saw. Factor in the sway of home court and 12,000 screaming fans and fairness and objectivity go by the boards. I guess it comes with the territory for UCONN.
Nevertheless, KLS's shot to the eye should have been reviewed, IMO.

Reaction Score
I was screaming at the TV in real time: "FOUL!" Apparently no one else even saw it happen, not the refs, not the announcers, who had to wait to see the replay before making the wrong call. The elbow definitely went back into Lou's face, likely inadvertently, but still.....

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
How come only Katie Lou's dad attends the games? Doesn't the rest of the family want to come see her play?
Mom has been to plenty games, Dad gets the air time. When Lou was in HS one parent was at every game while the other was at a Stanford game. They also have two dogs now and someone has to take care of them. Karlie was overseas and Bonnie is in Med school and doesnt get a lot of time off to travel. I think they were all at the FF last year in Dallas.

Reaction Score
If this keeps up, perhaps she'll have to resort to wearing "goggles" like Kareem and James Worthy did.
The injury to her eye (depth perception) may have been the reason she missed those 2 free throws late in the game. Not making excuses, just saying maybe. :rolleyes:
ed249a93-c546-412d-8112-034ad33a4db3.jpg
When I was playing pickup ball in my early twenties, a guy ripped off half my cornea. Hurt like a .... It healed very nicely, by the way. The eyes are amazing. Anyway, afterwards, when playing pickup ball, I would always wear goggles. I was often made fun of, but then I would kick their butts and that was that. To me it's surprising that more injuries of the kind that happened to me don't occur and that more players don't wear goggles.

As far as the arm in Lou's face, I think it may very well have been intentional. There is no way to tell. (Anybody here personally know that player?) It was clearly a foul and in no way did the leaning back Lou run into the arm.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Wasn't it CG who shoved Z's arm away at the end of the game and then they called a foul on Z? CG played well. Chippy but well. Also, can someone do a year by year progression of Lou's black eyes? As far as I can recall she has had 1 really good one every year since she has been here.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wasn't it CG who shoved Z's arm away at the end of the game and then they called a foul on Z? CG played well. Chippy but well. Also, can someone do a year by year progression of Lou's black eyes? As far as I can recall she has had 1 really good one every year since she has been here.

Geno called that foul on Z "bogus." He said the plan was to foul on that possession anyway (to prevent Texas from taking a 3) but the foul call on Z was not the plan.

“We were going to foul,” Auriemma said. “We didn't know that the ref was reading my mind and called a bogus foul on Z. Yeah, we were going to foul — but not with 15 seconds left. And you know, I was really taking a chance, too, because they were killing us on the boards. I was like, that's all we need — we foul, they make one, they miss, they get an offensive rebound and put it back up and we foul them, and we end up losing. That's the biggest fear when you do that. Fortunately, it didn't come down to that.”

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
How come only Katie Lou's dad attends the games? Doesn't the rest of the family want to come see her play?
I talked to her mom and her sister at a game. He does make more games, but they do go to games.

edit oops, I see that someone else alreay responded.

Reaction Score
Elbow above the shoulder is not "legal."
I think you mis-state the rule.
If it was not legal to have your elbow above your shoulder, how do you shoot a jump shot? How does a defender block a shot? How does....you get the point.

Reaction Score
Elbow above the shoulder is not "legal."

That is irrelevant to my post, which was responding to a statement that all contact with an elbow is illegal. It wasn't just talking about elbows above the shoulder.

Also, there are many times an elbow above the shoulder legally contacts an opponent, i.e. on rebounds where a player's elbow is above the head. The rules don't make a distinction as to the elbow being above the shoulder, only about the type of contact.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just saw the rewind clip on the shot to Lou's face. Inadvertent yes but a foul anyway. Lobo was wrong to keep saying Lou's face ran into her elbow. Head bang

Lou was moving backwards... away from the swinging elbow :p

It wasn't intentional, but should have been called. Rebecca needs to re-watch that. :)

Reaction Score
For her penance, Rebecca should be banished back to the studio in place of Nell Fortner, and suffer in silence while Andy Landers drones on and on.
Maybe Rebecca needs to lose her UCONN Membership Card... she falsely and repeadedly said Gabby was being "punished " in 2nd half VS ND, when it was migraines (as we understand it) , yesterday she said something about Pheesa "being punished" at start of 2nd half when Z started (when UCONN needed the height).. and made reference to Gabby's "benching", and here she says Lou walked into the black eye... and she does it all with such conviction... hmmm

Reaction Score
Maybe Rebecca needs to lose her UCONN Membership Card... she falsely and repeadedly said Gabby was being "punished " in 2nd half VS ND, when it was migraines (as we understand it) , yesterday she said something about Pheesa "being punished" at start of 2nd half when Z started (when UCONN needed the height).. and made reference to Gabby's "benching", and here she says Lou walked into the black eye... and she does it all with such conviction... hmmm

That's a little excessive. She's speaking based off experience. None of us on this board played 4 years for Geno... She can say what she wants. If she chooses to retract something, then she will. But we can't judge her for doing her job. They are paid to try to make the game more appealing, and if assumptions fit into that category, then they will use them. She'll always be more of a UCONN Membership Card Holder than anyone who posts on this board.

Have a great day :)

Reaction Score
That's a little excessive. She's speaking based off experience. None of us on this board played 4 years for Geno... She can say what she wants. If she chooses to retract something, then she will. But we can't judge her for doing her job. They are paid to try to make the game more appealing, and if assumptions fit into that category, then they will use them. She'll always be more of a UCONN Membership Card Holder than anyone who posts on this board.

Have a great day :)
Guess ma "sarcasm" didn't come through very well...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom