Holtman to DePaul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Holtman to DePaul

Reaction Score
This is what I hear a lot. Unfortunate. He is also one of the highest-paid assistants in the country.

It's pretty ridiculous considering it was 25 years ago for a substance that is now legal in half the country. I'd hire him BECAUSE of his experience. I think it makes him a valuable mentor, especially for those guys like himself who aren't good enough to make millions in the league, but still need a plan for post-college life.

Reaction Score
Lots of possible reasons (other than past issues) why KY and LM haven't left:
1. They're paid well enough to enjoy life in the lush surroundings of Northeast Connecticut;
2. They're experienced enough to know the grass isn't always greener elsewhere;
3. They're happy doing what they do and don't yet feel they want the extra burden of being the Head Coach;
4. They enjoy the greater amount of time they get working with players rather than the extra time required for the administrative side of coaching;
5. They still feel they have more to learn;
6. The right job hasn't sought them out and they don't believe in chasing the next job.

All of this can be true, but it's no secret they've been interested in (and interviewing for) other jobs. Luke is probably a year or two behind Kimani because of the fiasco at Louisville. It would be great to slide him into the AHC role when Kimani moves on.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's pretty ridiculous considering it was 25 years ago for a substance that is now legal in half the country. I'd hire him BECAUSE of his experience. I think it makes him a valuable mentor, especially for those guys like himself who aren't good enough to make millions in the league, but still need a plan for post-college life.
I’m guessing it’s a deciding factor for some ADs when comparing “talented assistant coaches from winning schools.” If one guy has a record, the other doesn’t, you’re probably going with the latter. I’m sure an AD will eventually decide he’s the best option for the job, but I’m not too surprised it’s been an obstacle so far.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Lots of possible reasons (other than past issues) why KY and LM haven't left:
1. They're paid well enough to enjoy life in the lush surroundings of Northeast Connecticut;
2. They're experienced enough to know the grass isn't always greener elsewhere;
3. They're happy doing what they do and don't yet feel they want the extra burden of being the Head Coach;
4. They enjoy the greater amount of time they get working with players rather than the extra time required for the administrative side of coaching;
5. They still feel they have more to learn;
6. The right job hasn't sought them out and they don't believe in chasing the next job.
They’re both trying to get head coaching jobs in the north east, it’s an open secret.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why would a guy on the rise go to DePaul though?
DePaul isn't a home for someone looking to build a head coaching career. It's either a place to resurrect an image or a spot for someone who knows he's reaching.

If you're a young assistant in position to start a head coaching career you need to go to a school where success would be a possibility, not a surprise.

Reaction Score
why are people on the Boneyard so quick to sell Kimani and Luke off to dog**** programs like Depaul? Stop giving ideas and let those programs' terrible ADs screw themselves without you guys being desperate to look smart or saavy.
Hurley is always bringing up in post-game pressers, etc how AD's have missed on hiring Kimani & Luke away from UConn. I think Boneyard people just feed off that when coaching vacancies arise.

Reaction Score
FldCityFan, Fishy, husky429 have nailed this subject in terms of Kimani Young and Luke Murray.

Selfishly, I would like them to remain on the UConn coaching staff because they are damn good at what they do. On a more humanitarian mindset, I would like them to get a head coaching job they are seeking. However, it should be for a decent opportunity, not one where the deck is stacked against them for failure. Some coaches never recover after massively failing at their first head coaching position.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The juxtaposition of him racing to sign a deal as his old team begun and has continued to win in his absence is certainly compelling.

I hadn't paid 10 seconds of attention to Ohio State basketball until you posted this. It is hard to ignore how well tOSU is playing right now.

Reaction Score
I hadn't paid 10 seconds of attention to Ohio State basketball until you posted this. It is hard to ignore how well tOSU is playing right now.
I have a feeling everyone is going to want Jake Diebler. OSU lucked out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FldCityFan, Fishy, husky429 have nailed this subject in terms of Kimani Young and Luke Murray.

Selfishly, I would like them to remain on the UConn coaching staff because they are damn good at what they do. On a more humanitarian mindset, I would like them to get a head coaching job they are seeking. However, it should be for a decent opportunity, not one where the deck is stacked against them for failure. Some coaches never recover after massively failing at their first head coaching position.

Most coaching jobs are only open because the previous coach was fired. Occasionally an opportunity opens up at a strong program because the prior coach left, but those are few and far between, and they are almost always at mid or low majors. A new coach has to start somewhere, and a high major dumpster fire like Depaul is better than a low major dumpster fire like pretty much all of them that have job openings.

Reaction Score
I wonder why so many assume they will be great head coaches. It's always a mystery until they actually do it. Didn't Hurley's assistant at URI take over there and flame out? How many Jim Calhoun assistants became great head coaches?
To say that Hurley's assistant that took over at URI 'flamed out'...could be the understatement of the century.
That program still hasn't recovered.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Most coaching jobs are only open because the previous coach was fired. Occasionally an opportunity opens up at a strong program because the prior coach left, but those are few and far between, and they are almost always at mid or low majors. A new coach has to start somewhere, and a high major dumpster fire like Depaul is better than a low major dumpster fire like pretty much all of them that have job openings.
Not all low major dumpster fires have been simmering as long as the one at DePaul and I imagine that it is possible to have continuous, steady improvement that would translate to more than an additional one or two wins each year at some of those schools.

At a place like Sienna, St Peter's, Manhattan or Fairfield for example it wouldn't be unreasonable for a talented young coach in charge of a program for the first time to build from the bottom third of the conference to the top third in a few years. From there, a job at a higher level school could come calling.

At DePaul, it would take years and a minor miracle to get to eight in the conference. That job will destroy most coaches.

Reaction Score
Not all low major dumpster fires have been simmering as long as the one at DePaul and I imagine that it is possible to have continuous, steady improvement that would translate to more than an additional one or two wins each year at some of those schools.

At a place like Sienna, St Peter's, Manhattan or Fairfield for example it wouldn't be unreasonable for a talented young coach in charge of a program for the first time to build from the bottom third of the conference to the top third in a few years. From there, a job at a higher level school could come calling.

At DePaul, it would take years and a minor miracle to get to eight in the conference. That job will destroy most coaches.
Or give you something to do for a couple years while you augment that retirement nest egg

Reaction Score
I don’t want Kimani or Luke to leave, but they deserve the opportunity if they want it. I would love to have them stay at UConn forever if they are happy at Uconn. My point with previous comments is they potentially have capacity to be next Dan Hurley and do something special. I don’t know anything about Holtman, other than being fired by Ohio St. So maybe he can do it at DePaul, but if Iwas AD at DePaul I would prefer to see what Kimani could do.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Ideal position is a low major whose coach was grabbed by someone higher in the food chain because he built a successful program. That is the opposite of DePaul.

Reaction Score

Bill Belichick (different sport) agrees there can be resurrection after major failure in the first job.

With so much money riding on success in the two major sports today it may be more difficult for an AD to take a chance on hiring someone with no head coaching track record.

DH spent years learning what it takes to motivate and coach young men today and then took two steps up the ladder in D1 before he became an instant success.

I don't know the full details on English's background, for example, but he was a head coach for two years at a mid-major so if KY and LM aren't willing to go to a mid-major for their first head coaching jobs that may be a problem in today's world.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why would a guy on the rise go to DePaul though?

Just a minor detail that no one seems to be considering.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t want Kimani or Luke to leave, but they deserve the opportunity if they want it. I would love to have them stay at UConn forever if they are happy at Uconn. My point with previous comments is they potentially have capacity to be next Dan Hurley and do something special. I don’t know anything about Holtman, other than being fired by Ohio St. So maybe he can do it at DePaul, but if Iwas AD at DePaul I would prefer to see what Kimani could do.

The AD at DePaul has a vested interest in the AD at DePaul remaining the AD at DePaul so hiring Holtmann over taking a flier on someone’s assistant coach is like 20000% more appealing.

Reaction Score
The AD at DePaul has a vested interest in the AD at DePaul remaining the AD at DePaul so hiring Holtmann over taking a flier on someone’s assistant coach is like 20000% more appealing.
You nailed it right there, That is exactly why they did it. AD wanted to choose someone who he wouldn’t get fired over if the coach doesn’t pan out. Kind of like many companies hiring the biggest tech name which is 10x more expensive, bureaucratic, and not innovative over the smaller lesser known superior option.
That said AD should get fired if Holtman doesn’t turn around program.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DePaul is in the position of absolutely needing to hire someone who has head coaching experience at a big conference vs an up and coming AssntC/AHC. Yes, they are only going to get someone who had been fired or someone out of retirement. They had zero options after Holtman became available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom