Holtman to DePaul | The Boneyard

Holtman to DePaul

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think they would be better off with a new coach, like Kimani Young or Luke Murray. If Holman couldn’t make it work at Ohio State why would someone think he would be successful at DePaul with less talent?
Some guys aren't made for huge state universities where the fanbase demands elite, 1-and-done recruits. Look at Shaka at Marquette vs. Shaka at Texas.

Holtmann can really coach, and showed it at Butler and in his first few years at OSU. I don't think he'll be a threat to crack the top half of the Big East, but he'll raise DePaul's floor a ton.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
why are people on the Boneyard so quick to sell Kimani and Luke off to dog**** programs like Depaul? Stop giving ideas and let those programs' terrible ADs screw themselves without you guys being desperate to look smart or saavy.

Reaction Score
why are people on the Boneyard so quick to sell Kimani and Luke off to dog**** programs like Depaul? Stop giving ideas and let those programs' terrible ADs screw themselves without you guys being desperate to look smart or saavy.
Can't tell if you are joking. If you are not, I will just say that The Boneyard is the last place AD's will look to for ideas about coaching candidates. Pizza maybe..

Reaction Score
His first move needs to be offering Kleinschmidt an assistant coach position. He's gotta make DePaul a place Chicagoland kids want to play at and the coaches want to send their kids to.
Yeah I think they had like 2 or 3 kids from Illinois on their roster this year. It should be at least half

Reaction Score

I wonder why so many assume they will be great head coaches. It's always a mystery until they actually do it. Didn't Hurley's assistant at URI take over there and flame out? How many Jim Calhoun assistants became great head coaches?

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Quite a reintroduction, where ya been?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think they would be better off with a new coach, like Kimani Young or Luke Murray. If Holman couldn’t make it work at Ohio State why would someone think he would be successful at DePaul with less talent?

Nah, you need a ton of experience before you take on a job like that. The odds are overwhelming that it would be their first and last jobs. I realize that it’s basically a knee jerk reaction for people to mention UConn assistants with every open job everywhere, but this is not for them.

It’s an awful job. Awful. It’s perfect for Holtman because he’s already rich and he doesn’t have any better options. He’s perfect for DePaul because he’s 98.6 F and this was the best case scenario for them - a recent P5 coach who was fired for just not quite winning enough instead of murder or something like that.

Normal rebuild is 3-5 years. This one is gonna be 5-7, if it even happens. They gotta leave him alone for three years minimum.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Some guys aren't made for huge state universities where the fanbase demands elite, 1-and-done recruits. Look at Shaka at Marquette vs. Shaka at Texas.

Holtmann can really coach, and showed it at Butler and in his first few years at OSU. I don't think he'll be a threat to crack the top half of the Big East, but he'll raise DePaul's floor a ton.

That is really the job. Raise the floor.

Get that done for half a decade and then the next guy can aim higher.

Reaction Score

He’s right. I’m an AD from a basement dwelling school and looking for intel on coaches to steal on Hickey Boondocks

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DePaul should have taken a chance on a guy on the rise NOT a guy on the decline.

Reaction Score
Kimani has probably missed opportunities solely based on his arrest many years ago. It’s unfortunate, but he’s got a great job at UConn until the right opportunity comes along.

His first job needs to be in the northeast or he'll flop. His connections are all here. Depaul would've been a horrible idea.

I hope he ends up at an A10 school that has had some moderate success historically rather than a basement dweller in a major conference with no culture of success. If he can recruit, he'll win games.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I am just baffled that no one has tried to poach Kimani from Hurley’s staff. UConn is lucky these ADs are so stupid.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reaction Score
Kimani has probably missed opportunities solely based on his arrest many years ago. It’s unfortunate, but he’s got a great job at UConn until the right opportunity comes along.
This is what I hear a lot. Unfortunate. He is also one of the highest paid assistants in the country.

Reaction Score
Lots of possible reasons (other than past issues) why KY and LM haven't left:
1. They're paid well enough to enjoy life in the lush surroundings of Northeast Connecticut;
2. They're experienced enough to know the grass isn't always greener elsewhere;
3. They're happy doing what they do and don't yet feel they want the extra burden of being the Head Coach;
4. They enjoy the greater amount of time they get working with players rather than the extra time required for the administrative side of coaching;
5. They still feel they have more to learn;
6. The right job hasn't sought them out and they don't believe in chasing the next job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom