Holly Warlick's "Over The Top" RX To Loss | The Boneyard

Holly Warlick's "Over The Top" RX To Loss

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Not even the home court could save the Lady Vols this time. The tough-minded Beavers weathered a first-quarter storm, gained their composure and handed Tennessee its first home-court loss in 58 NCAA tournament games.

The players handled the defeat better than sixth-year Tennessee coach Holly Warlick.

“Sometimes the things that are thrown at these kids are unfair,” an emotional Warlick said. “They come here wanting to learn and get better and just play the game. They get criticized quite a bit."

Later she added: "This isn't about winning or losing. It's about young ladies getting better on and off the court and I don't think they deserve half the crap thrown at them."

Given the situation, the response was out of place and over the top."

Holly Warlick's response worse than Lady Vols' loss

Links to more. Yes, I'm reveling in Holly's agony. Bad, bad, my bad.

is

Reaction Score
Look Holly's time :

2012–13 Tennessee 27–8 14–2 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Tennessee 29–6 13–3 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15 Tennessee 30–6 15–1 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
2015–16 Tennessee 22–14 8–8 T–7th NCAA Elite Eight
2016–17 Tennessee 20–12 10–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2017–18 Tennessee 25–8 11–5 T-4th NCAA Second Round

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"Not even the home court could save the Lady Vols this time. The tough-minded Beavers weathered a first-quarter storm, gained their composure and handed Tennessee its first home-court loss in 58 NCAA tournament games.

The players handled the defeat better than sixth-year Tennessee coach Holly Warlick.

“Sometimes the things that are thrown at these kids are unfair,” an emotional Warlick said. “They come here wanting to learn and get better and just play the game. They get criticized quite a bit."

Later she added: "This isn't about winning or losing. It's about young ladies getting better on and off the court and I don't think they deserve half the crap thrown at them."

Given the situation, the response was out of place and over the top."

Holly Warlick's response worse than Lady Vols' loss

Links to more. Yes, I'm reveling in Holly's agony. Bad, bad, my bad.

is
At least you're reveling in Holly's (much deserved) agony. Perhaps the institutions as well as the fans agony ( I particularly enjoy that part). But relishing the agony of these young women that play for Tenn, as some on this site do, is where I will forever draw the line. Somehow demonizing these great and very human young women; these great young players, these great representatives of their communities and families, I find reprehensible.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some say the Heir Apparent. Hope so. He's done such a great job with Russel.

21314621_1924783904453095_6020692948860246342_n.jpg

Fire a legacy, hire one more.

Reaction Score
Couldn't even get Mercedes to master the fundamentals.... as I would expect of a #1 overall recruit.... like boxing out ... and of course stamina and grit an issue... although she did do well vs. Oregon St..... one of her better efforts... no no I can't see them hiring him...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
At least you're reveling in Holly's (much deserved) agony. Perhaps the institutions as well as the fans agony ( I particularly enjoy that part). But relishing the agony of these young women that play for Tenn, as some on this site do, is where I will forever draw the line. Somehow demonizing this very human, great young women; these great young players, great representatives of their communities and families, I find reprehensible.
Preach, JordyG, preach.

Reaction Score
At least you're reveling in Holly's (much deserved) agony. Perhaps the institutions as well as the fans agony ( I particularly enjoy that part). But relishing the agony of these young women that play for Tenn, as some on this site do, is where I will forever draw the line. Somehow demonizing this very human, great young women; these great young players, great representatives of their communities and families, I find reprehensible.

I'll put in my say on this.... First of all I should say I do not revel in anyones misery.... Having said that.... Holly has proven herself over 6 years, and another year where she took Pat's place as Head Coach.... that she is inept at coaching and cannot draw talent out of her players ... many of whom came to Knoxville with considerable credentials.... Although I do not relish her suffering... I certainly do not feel sorry for her.... She should coach better, or enable her assistants to add their expertise.... Losing to Alabama 4 straight times and losing to Va Tech... Penn State.... LSU etc.... even beating Arkansas by 90 to 85.... teams that have no all stars.... there is no excuse for that.....

As for her players.... who I do have a good amount of sympathy for.... I still think about how badly they wanted to come to Knoxville to play for Holly.... Even 3 All Americans in the top 10 nationally crossed the country to play for Holly.... when they could have been mentored by Dana A or Scott R..... Westbrook was #2 in whole country... her freshman year is over now... and has she gotten better significantly? What about #1 overall Mercedes.... Does she show marked improvement in the fundamentals? How are her hands? Does she box out well? Does she hustle up and down the floor?

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'll put in my say on this.... First of all I should say I do not revel in anyones misery.... Having said that.... Holly has proven herself over 6 years, and another year where she took Pat's place as Head Coach.... that she is inept at coaching and cannot draw talent out of her players ... many of whom came to Knoxville with considerable credentials.... Although I do not relish her suffering... I certainly do not feel sorry for her.... She should coach better, or enable her assistants to add their expertise.... Losing to Alabama 4 straight times and losing to Va Tech... Penn State.... LSU etc.... even beating Arkansas by 90 to 85.... teams that have no all stars.... there is no excuse for that.....

As for her players.... who I do have a good amount of sympathy for.... I still think about how badly they wanted to come to Knoxville to play for Holly.... Even 3 All Americans in the top 10 nationally crossed the country to play for Holly.... when they could have been mentored by Dana A or Scott R..... Westbrook was #2 in whole country... her freshman year is over now... and has she gotten better significantly? What about #1 overall Mercedes.... Does she show marked improvement in the fundamentals? How are her hands? Does she box out well? Does she hustle up and down the floor?
A worse indictment of Holly's poor coaching is that Russell is the first #1 rated recruit that I know of who in her 4 years at Tenn was never a first team AA. That is just inexcusable and outrageous, and as Geno would say, letting these kids down as a coach.

As for how badly they wanted to play for Holly, young players want to hear they will get major minutes as freshmen, and that's how she gets these recruits. It's a disgrace. Anyone here think that a Doug Bruno, Rueck, Graves, Tara, Geno, or any host of others would get such poor results from such a slew of talent?

Reaction Score
I don't get enjoyment out of the players agony! But the majority of their fan base, the nastiest group of fans that to this day attack Maya Moore , her Mom, Geno and the UCONN program, they're hell should never end! What has been said can never be taken back or apologized for! Please UT give Holly Warlick a life-time contract!
And that Pat Summitt was a part of that was a low light in a great career!

JordyG

Reaction Score
I don't get enjoyment out of the players agony! But the majority of their fan base, the nastiest group of fans that to this day attack Maya Moore , her Mom, Geno and the UCONN program, they're hell should never end! What has been said can never be taken back or apologized for! Please UT give Holly Warlick a life-time contract!
And that Pat Summitt was a part of that was a low light in a great career!
Like I said, I do enjoy reading the bickering and angst on their site.

Reaction Score
It should be obvious to everyone that she is projecting her own self onto her players. It is not the criticism of her players she is commenting on but the criticism of herself. Very few people criticize her players personally. They just comment on their lack of development and that is in reality actually a criticism of her. Pretty disingenuous and cowardly of her to use her players as a cover and excuse to deflect criticism actually directed at her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Holly’s record has been mostly pretty good—if she were coaching DePaul, TAMU, or South Florida, for example. But given the Tennessee history, it’s disappointing. It’s also poor for the level of talent she has. I was very surprised at the class she was able to get in 2017, but even with better chemistry in the post-Diamond period, they under-performed. The lower level of success is now clear. I’m not sure why recruits still go there.

Reaction Score

Do you know the reason Diamond Deshields left program? I thought her and Mercedes were suppose to be leaders

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You know, here's the thing. Every kid wants to play for a champion. Just like every kid who plays an Olympic sport wants to be an Olympian. It's human nature to want to be the best and want to play for the best.

So that means every kid who has their dreams shattered deserve our sympathy. And while none of the kids who currently play for Tenn. had anything to do with the reasons many UCONN fans can't stand Tennessee, the sad fact is that these young women play for a program most of us despise. Sort of like hate the sin, pity the sinner type of thing. It's not about hating the players, it's about hating the program.

My point about the champion thing and playing for the best - did you see all the tOSU players crying on the bench towards the end of their loss? Final 4 is in Ohio and they all fantasized about being there - not just because it is the final 4, but also because it would be nearby.

Just like Depaul was devastated by blowing a 17 point lead and missing the sweet 16. Just like FSU went down to an 11 seed. It all sucks for the teams who thought they could/should have won. BUT when you dislike a program as much as many UCONN fans do, it's simply great to see them lose, especially over and over again. Which is why many of us want Holly to get a 25 year extension on her contract.

Is it rational? Logical? No. Nor are the fistfights opposing fans get into at soccer games, football games, etc etc. I bet most SC fans were thrilled Mizzou got throttled in the first round. I bet Duke fans were thrilled UNC lost on the men's side. Pick any current, or former rivalry where fan basis have a really healthy dislike for the other side and you are going to get comments like what you see on the BY when Tenn loses. I don't ever imagine a time where I won't do a happy dance when something bad happens to the Tenn. women's program (notwithstanding health things or injuries or what not - that's just bad sportsmanship). It's just the way I am, and I know lots of other UCONN fans feel the same way.

On the flip side there are other fans who have forgiven and want to forget and move on. That's cool for them too. But for the rest of us, Tennessee loses in the 2nd round? YAY!!

http://www.s.com/r/2013/07/happy-dance-.gif

Reaction Score
Look Holly's time :

2012–13 Tennessee 27–8 14–2 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Tennessee 29–6 13–3 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15 Tennessee 30–6 15–1 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
2015–16 Tennessee 22–14 8–8 T–7th NCAA Elite Eight
2016–17 Tennessee 20–12 10–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2017–18 Tennessee 25–8 11–5 T-4th NCAA Second Round
Not too many coaches would dismiss that record.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I find the reveling in the distress of the young women who play for Tennessee to be distasteful in the extreme. Some of the LV fans, specifically the Tin Foil Hat Brigade over on the Summitt, deserve all the suffering they can get but most Tennessee fans are just like us - rooting for their team and hoping for the best for their players.

If people find the nastiness of a few of the LV fans so awful, why are they acting exactly like them? I had hopes we were above childish pettiness.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I believe I have a "healthy" opposition to LV success. It dates back to the first time they played in Jan 1995. My attitude was, now you have some unknown opposition, thanks for letting us join the party. Then, seeing the officials try to take our players out, during the championship game, that same season, I (we) was getting a look at the up hill climb, to be given a fair shot. Pat was definitely a class act and her teams were disciplined and well coached. I know I have a biased opinion, but very few understood Geno's sarcasm and wit, so his teams MAY have paid for some of that. When Pat and UT petitioned the NCAA, filing violations for recruitment etc. They went too far. My distaste (I don't like to use hate in any respect) settled in and I still harbor that today, for their program. Sure, time should heal wounds, but they (UT) and their fans NEVER apologized for those accusations. So, I revel in their (UT) failure. This has nothing to do with the kids that choose to play there. I wish them great success in their off court endeavors. On the court I will always root against them, with the same distaste I have for the NY Yankees. There it is!!!!!! Guess who I root for in MLB. Now, let's go get #12!!!!!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom