Holly Warlick - She's Gone | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Holly Warlick - She's Gone

Reaction Score
Nobody’s disputing the fact that Holly has given her all to UT. But Holly was being paid almost 700,000 to do a job, and for the past 6 yrs fixing the problems that plagued her teams her answers were, I don’t know. It’s been like one time since her team has made it to the sixteen and she has all Americans up and down that roster. And players have gotten worse or haven’t improved at all under her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not that Jeff's cupboard is bare by any means at all--and going to Tennessee might even be a talent downgrade--but making a move right after Asia Durr graduates would be nice timing.

Goodness - think of Walz ability to get on every recruit's shortlist when aligned with Tennessee's remarkably persistent recruiting clout.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not that Jeff's cupboard is bare by any means at all--and going to Tennessee might even be a talent downgrade--but making a move right after Asia Durr graduates would be nice timing.

Goodness - think of Walz ability to get on every recruit's shortlist when aligned with Tennessee's remarkably persistent recruiting clout.

I don't know about talent downgrades...there's a huge amount of talent on that team and more coming....recruiting is reason enough to go there...I love the potential of Rae Burrell (hardly played in the last game), for example; he'll make her into a Pheesa-like star.
Nothing wrong with Evina as well...top talent.
The right coach could have them top-ten straight away. Likely Jeff.

Reaction Score
My question if Walz ends up at Tennessee would be whether Louisville would release his old recruits so they could follow him to Tennessee. It is pretty standard to release players from LOIs if a coach leaves, but I'm not sure if they could restrict them from following him to his new home. If he could keep the current roster at Tennessee largely intact, keep Jordan Horston, and bring his Louisville class with him, Tennessee would be a Final Four contender almost immediately.

Reaction Score
Imagine if Jeff beats us this year at Louisville, and then does it again next year with Tennessee? I was looking forward to crushing the Vols, but if they have Walz at the helm instead of Holly I'm less confident it plays out that way.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Imagine if Jeff beats us this year at Louisville, and then does it again next year with Tennessee? I was looking forward to crushing the Vols, but if they have Walz at the helm instead of Holly I'm less confident it plays out that way.

At some point Geno is sure to turn this into a joke.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A lot of history but not currently a relevant team.
Well you what they say you never want to be coach who takes over from a legend; you want to be the coach who takes over for the coach who takes over from a legend.

Reaction Score
My question if Walz ends up at Tennessee would be whether Louisville would release his old recruits so they could follow him to Tennessee. It is pretty standard to release players from LOIs if a coach leaves, but I'm not sure if they could restrict them from following him to his new home. If he could keep the current roster at Tennessee largely intact, keep Jordan Horston, and bring his Louisville class with him, Tennessee would be a Final Four contender almost immediately.
If he does to Tennessee, he will be getting a lot of talent at Tennessee. I don’t remember if he got any high profile commits this year at Louisville.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has a good team with great players. The only thing holding them back is the coaching. If they do land Jeff Walz as their next coach, they're going to be back in the conversation for one of the best programs in the country. Recruiting there hasn't dropped off since Pat retired, and now they will have a great recruiter and coach running the program. Unlike Pat, Jeff understands offense, and unlike Geno gets to coach a team in the nation's premiere athletic conference with all the prestige and resources that go along with that.

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's the best, but it's pretty darn good.

Not really sure. UCLA was never the same after Wooden left. And though it's a top sports school, the basketball coaching position was never again the great position it was during Wooden's tenure.

Tennessee today is just one more SEC program that's been underperforming. Fan base, yes. But so, too, does LSU and other schools have fan bases.

Top coaches should view UT with a very wary eye.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Statement from Tennessee on firing of Holly Warlick

Tennessee Director of Athletics Phillip Fulmer announced Wednesday that Lady Vols basketball coach Holly Warlick has been relieved of her duties.

“Holly and I met this afternoon, and I informed her of the decision to change leadership within the program,” Fulmer said. “Holly has dedicated most of her adult life to the University of Tennessee and the Lady Vols program. She loves Tennessee, and Tennessee needs to always love her back. She was front and center as this program developed into the model for women’s intercollegiate excellence.

“While it certainly stings to make this decision, I am charged with doing what I believe is best for this storied program. It’s important to all of us that Lady Vols basketball maintains its status among the elite.”

A national search for the next Lady Vols head coach is underway. Assistant coach Dean Lockwood will maintain operational oversight of the program until a coaching hire is made.

Warlick compiled a 172-67 overall record in seven seasons as Tennessee’s head coach, guiding the Lady Vols to NCAA Tournament berths during each campaign.

Tennessee claimed three SEC trophies during her tenure as head coach, winning regular-season championships in 2013 and 2015 and capturing the SEC Tournament title in 2014.

She guided the Lady Vols to Elite Eight appearances in 2013, 2015 and 2016. And Tennessee produced 11 WNBA Draft picks during the Warlick era.

Warlick also continued the Lady Vols’ longstanding 100-percent graduation rate for players who have completed their collegiate careers at Tennessee.

A Knoxville native and an All-America standout for the Lady Vols from 1976-80, Warlick served as an assistant and associate head coach at her alma mater for 27 seasons from 1985 to 2012 before spending seven seasons in the head coaching role. She has given more than three decades of loyal service to the University of Tennessee, having just concluded her 38th season of affiliation with the program she helped to establish as the standard bearer for women’s athletic excellence.

As a player or staff member, she has played a role in 19 Tennessee trips to the Final Four and all eight of the program’s national championships (1987, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2007 and 2008).

Warlick’s association with the University of Tennessee began in 1976, when she joined the women’s track program as a scholarship 400-meter runner. She ended up walking on to the basketball team and becoming one of the most prolific players in the storied history of the program—she was the first player in Tennessee athletics history (men or women) to have her jersey retired (No. 22) at the conclusion of her eligibility.

Warlick’s coaching honors also are extensive. In 2013, members of the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association named her the Spalding Maggie Dixon Division I Rookie Coach of the Year. She was selected by the AP and league coaches as the 2013 SEC Women’s Basketball Coach of the Year, and members of the Tennessee Sports Writers Association also chose her as TSWA Women’s Basketball Coach of the Year that season.

In May 2017, Warlick was recognized for her years of leadership, volunteer activities, philanthropic work and professional accomplishments that have contributed to improving the quality of life in Tennessee. She was named the Tennessee Woman of Distinction at the 32nd annual Chattanooga Women of Distinction Awards luncheon. In 2019, she became a member of the Pat Summitt Foundation Advisory Board.

She is a member of the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame (2001), the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame (2004), the Greater Knoxville Sports Hall of Fame (1994) and the University of Tennessee Athletics Hall of Fame (2002).

Warlick’s philanthropic efforts have yielded extraordinary benefit to the community throughout her tenure on Rocky Top. She and fellow Lady Vols legend Nikki (Caldwell) Fargas founded the “Champions for a Cause Foundation” in 2007 with the missions of advancing and supporting the cause of charitable organizations who advocate and act to better the quality of life and health for individuals at risk or in need.

Reaction Score
"Tennessee Director of Athletics Phillip Fulmer announced Wednesday that Lady Vols basketball coach Holly Warlick has been relieved of her duties."

Wow!! They didn't even give her a chance to resign. Didn't even give her the opportunity to negotiate a face-saving withdrawal! After all those years of service to the UT WCBB program, they just went in and canned her butt. And then they announced that a "national search" was already under way. In other words, they'd begun looking for a replacement even before they fired her!

Cold! Really cold! She underperformed, she wasn't cut out to be a head coach, and it was time to let her go. But Tennessee should have done this with a little bit of class. Just a little!

Of is that asking too much of Tennessee?

Reaction Score
I'm glad for Holly's sake, this is over. If anyone reads the Lady Vol message board, they really had no choice but to let her go. It would have been impossible for her to return. Did Tennessee do the right thing and at least buy her out of her contract. I had actually started feeling sorry for some of the Lady Vol fans, until I started reading some of the comments on their message board. Yeah, Holly wasn't a great coach, but she sure deserved a little more respect from their fan base.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
"Tennessee Director of Athletics Phillip Fulmer announced Wednesday that Lady Vols basketball coach Holly Warlick has been relieved of her duties."

Wow!! They didn't even give her a chance to resign. Didn't even give her the opportunity to negotiate a face-saving withdrawal! After all those years of service to the UT WCBB program, they just went in and canned her butt. And then they announced that a "national search" was already under way. In other words, they'd begun looking for a replacement even before they fired her!

Cold! Really cold! She underperformed, she wasn't cut out to be a head coach, and it was time to let her go. But Tennessee should have done this with a little bit of class. Just a little!

For all we know, Holly refused to budge, because any negotiated alternative would risk her guarantees. Unless and until we know all sides of the story, it's hard to draw a conclusion one way or the other.

Reaction Score
I'm glad for Holly's sake, this is over. If anyone reads the Lady Vol message board, they really had no choice but to let her go. It would have been impossible for her to return. Did Tennessee do the right thing and at least buy her out of her contract. I had actually started feeling sorry for some of the Lady Vol fans, until I started reading some of the comments on their message board. Yeah, Holly wasn't a great coach, but she sure deserved a little more respect from their fan base.
During her last press conference, Holly stated she still wanted to be the coach. UT had no choice but to fire her.
I think she's gotten plenty of respect and the benefit of the doubt for over 7 years. She hasn't gotten it done, and truthfully UT held on to her for too long. The LVs are at their lowest point in years...she deserves criticism and the firing.

Reaction Score
Holly struck me as a lovely lady who is better suited to being the Good Cop as an assistant coach. Nonetheless, when your legendary boss anoints you as her successor, you don't have much choice, especially with the circumstances. I don't even think she could have necessarily quit or retired because of it. It worked out the way it had to.

As for Walz, his assistant Sam Williams just took a job at EKU as well. I think it's a done deal as well.

Reaction Score

If you watched her press conference after the lost to UCLA she hinted at she wasn't going to resign. And that they going have fire her, that’s what I got out of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom