Maestro
Reaction Score
According to a source (Goodman Hoops)
UTenn parted ways with HW today.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) | Twitter

Tennessee has parted ways with women’s basketball coach Holly Warlick, source told @stadium. Went to the NCAA tourney in all seven seasons after taking over for Pat Summitt, but was unable to get the Vols to a Final Four.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Other Twitter Reactions

Katie B. Davis (@ktbdavis) | Twitter
This feels like more than just A person being let go. It feels like we're saying goodbye to an indelible era, and saying a final farewell to Pat Summitt. I hate this for Holly Warlick, but all the signs pointed this way.

Ky. (@yanab0015) | Twitter
I think it was def time for UT to move on from Holly Warlick, but it doesn't diminish all of the great things she did for that program as a player and coach. Hats off to her for taking one of the toughest jobs ever in WBB and handling it with grace.

Trying to live up to the legacy that isPat Summitt had to have been tough! But I thought she handled it well! Ever since she was hired it was F4 or bust! UT fans have crazy high expectations!

holly warlick - Twitter Search

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If this is true, I'm sad for HW and UCONN fans. I am interested to see who will be the coach.

Reaction Score
Is this the #1 coaching job in women basketball? (even better than UConn?)

Reaction Score
If this is true, I'm sad for HW and UCONN fans. I am interested to see who will be the coach.
Why is it sad for UConn fans?
Why is it sad for HW? She was paid handsomely for the past 7 years (more than what many people make during their whole lives.) and am sure the buy out is not shabby either. She can now retire or volunteer for a high school coaching job!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
From a Women's BB perspective it probably is. I would also consider Notre Dame to be close to a #1 Job, even over UConn. The only reason I have ND and UT above UConn is because of the Conferences there in. When Geno does decide to retire, the next coach won't have the built in advantages (resources) that ND & Tenn have

Is this the #1 coaching job in women basketball? (even better than UConn?)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you ask a Tennessee fan, yes. If you ask anyone who has felt the wrath of the Tennessee fan base, I'm going to say they'd argue otherwise...

Personally, I think Holly has done enough to lower the expectations of VolNation. If the next successor can simply figure out how to get their talented roster to play with consistency and demonstrate some level of competency, that will be enough for a while.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Instagram Link from Moderator of the Summitt Maria M Cornelius.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Personally, I think Holly has done enough to lower the expectations of VolNation. If the next successor can simply figure out how to get their talented roster to play with consistency and demonstrate some level of competency, that will be enough for a while.

It will be interesting to see how it transpires. UCLA men's hoops fans still have ridiculous expectations even though Wooden hasn't coached there for more than 4 decades.

Reaction Score
From a Women's BB perspective it probably is. I would also consider Notre Dame to be close to a #1 Job, even over UConn. The only reason I have ND and UT above UConn is because of the Conferences there in. When Geno does decide to retire, the next coach won't have the built in advantages (resources) that ND & Tenn have
I would think Duke and Stanford would be high up there because of academics and history.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I would think Duke and Stanford would be high up there because of academics and history.
Recruiting is a unique challenge at Stanford, because the pool of admissible candidates is so limited, but almost every recruit who gets admitted will come. I think it takes the right kind of coach to navigate that (and Tara is exactly that person.) Duke is very different because they've embraced the 1-and-done era and their admissions standards for basketball players have always been considerably lower for both men's and women's hoops, so Duke is more frequently recruiting against all the other top programs...

Reaction Score
As a Lady Vols fan, it's way past time.....She is a good lady, but her coaching skills were very limited....Our fan base is relieved...Not sure who will be the next coach, but it has to be an improvement....

You UConn fans are first class people....Hope we can give you guys a good game someday....

Good luck in the NCAA Tournament.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I agree, I only mentioned ND and of course the Lady Vols because of ND's recent history in WBB. Stanford should be back in the Final Four and National Championship picture next year. Don't think they beat ND this year. Duke should be, but as long as Coach P is there, they won't be.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Michelle Voepel tweet:

She’s dedicated her entire life since she was a teen-ager to Tennessee WBB as a player and coach. It’s immeasurable how many lives she has impacted in a positive way. If there is karma, there is a whole lot of joy on the path ahead of her.

Anyone who has ever dealt with Holly Warlick likes and respects her. She’s a truly good, kind, hard-working person who has done her best in an impossibly difficult situation after going through a heartbreaking loss. No one could have shown more loyalty or class than she has.

Reaction Score
Why is it sad for UConn fans?
Why is it sad for HW? She was paid handsomely for the past 7 years (more than what many people make during their whole lives.) and am sure the buy out is not shabby either. She can now retire or volunteer for a high school coaching job!

I am pretty sure that upon retirement she will be receiving a handsome retirement check every month from the state of Tennessee.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With all of the talk about Jeff Walz as the next HC of the LV’s (He did not deny the rumors when given the opportunity), I wonder if it will affect the Louisville team in the Albany Regional.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom