Holly Warlick - She's Gone | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Holly Warlick - She's Gone

Reaction Score
You gonna see some former players apply for the job as well as the Tenn brass looking for a good coach like Waltz who is on their list. Tenn spends alot of money on the LV's and they were loosing their fan base. Theyve got to get their fan base back to bring in monies to support the high LV budget.
I think Walz is theirs to lose. Probably the only thing left to work out is the final money, and if Tennessee matches Louisville's compensation, two weeks from now he'll be setting up his office in Knoxville. I recall him making comments several years ago when another high profile position opened up somewhere, and Tennessee was one of the few places for which he would ever consider leaving his gig at Louisville.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Would Niele Ivey ND Assoc Head Coach consider the Lady Vols and would Phil Fulmer hire her even though she has no head coaching experience.

Reaction Score
You gonna see some former players apply for the job as well as the Tenn brass looking for a good coach like Waltz who is on their list. Tenn spends alot of money on the LV's and they were loosing their fan base. Theyve got to get their fan base back to bring in monies to support the high LV budget.

Sorry, but this makes little sense.

"UT spends a lot on the LVs".
Uhh, Warlick (700k) was way under top tier coaches like Walz (1.5M).

Reaction Score

Walz is 1.15M...Warlick 690K

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Tennessee Director of Athletics Phillip Fulmer announced Wednesday that Lady Vols basketball coach Holly Warlick has been relieved of her duties."

Wow!! They didn't even give her a chance to resign. Didn't even give her the opportunity to negotiate a face-saving withdrawal! After all those years of service to the UT WCBB program, they just went in and canned her butt. And then they announced that a "national search" was already under way. In other words, they'd begun looking for a replacement even before they fired her!

Cold! Really cold! She underperformed, she wasn't cut out to be a head coach, and it was time to let her go. But Tennessee should have done this with a little bit of class. Just a little!

Of is that asking too much of Tennessee?

How do you know that? Maybe she refused to resign. I'm not saying that was the case, but unless you were in the room your statement is nothing but unsubstantiated speculation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How do you know that? Maybe she refused to resign. I'm not saying that was the case, but unless you were in the room your statement is nothing but unsubstantiated speculation.
She could not resign or she would have forfeited her $700k buyout. She had to either be fired or reassigned in order to collect the money that was due under her contract.

Reaction Score
With all of the talk about Jeff Walz as the next HC of the LV’s (He did not deny the rumors when given the opportunity), I wonder if it will affect the Louisville team in the Albany Regional.
Does anyone know which bench UConn will sit on if they face Louisville in the final? If you were at center Court facing the benches, would they be on your right or left?

Reaction Score
The airwaves are buzzing back in Ktown about the speculation of who will replace Holly...Several names are being tossed around, but with no certainty, it remains a mystery without a lot of clues.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they gave her the option to resign had she wanted to. She's friends with Fulmer and has been at UT for 35+ years. Holly is honestly smart for not opting to step down so she likely gets a good sum of money from a buyout.

Thanks for the insight
Trying hard not to be hypocritical but wish her the best

Reaction Score
I mentioned in an earlier post it wasn't working, though that wasn't a secret. The longer Holly stayed, the longer their mediocre streak. I don't know if Jeff Walz will go there. If he does, good luck. Sorry to all the Louisville players he leaves behind.

Reaction Score

Since I don't know enough to speculate, why would Walz leave for the same money as he is currently making? Seems like he has as much current control as a coach could want.

Reaction Score
Wow. Holly was one heck of a coach and I wish her the best... same goes for the Lady Vols and their fan base. Whoever they get as a coach, hopefully the same expectations are in place? Seven years, 172-67 gets you fired nowadays. Wow

Reaction Score
Since I don't know enough to speculate, why would Walz leave for the same money as he is currently making? Seems like he has as much current control as a coach could want.
Who says it’s for the same money?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Wow. Holly was one heck of a coach and I wish her the best... same goes for the Lady Vols and their fan base. Whoever they get as a coach, hopefully the same expectations are in place? Seven years, 172-67 gets you fired nowadays. Wow

I and my kin could live very well for a decade or more on her likely buyout.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not that Jeff's cupboard is bare by any means at all--and going to Tennessee might even be a talent downgrade--but making a move right after Asia Durr graduates would be nice timing.

Goodness - think of Walz ability to get on every recruit's shortlist when aligned with Tennessee's remarkably persistent recruiting clout.

Agreed. If he could pull them in at Louisville, think what he could do at Tennessee. :eek:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My question if Walz ends up at Tennessee would be whether Louisville would release his old recruits so they could follow him to Tennessee. It is pretty standard to release players from LOIs if a coach leaves, but I'm not sure if they could restrict them from following him to his new home. If he could keep the current roster at Tennessee largely intact, keep Jordan Horston, and bring his Louisville class with him, Tennessee would be a Final Four contender almost immediately.
Yes, schools can and do restrict where a player can transfer. For example, if someone leave an AAC team, the school can make the release conditional that she can’t go to another AAC school. I heard of one school recently that listed several top 10 schools the player couldn’t go to, can’t remember which ones. Some schools are real jerks about it

Reaction Score
Yes, schools can and do restrict where a player can transfer. For example, if someone leave an AAC team, the school can make the release conditional that she can’t go to another AAC school. I heard of one recently that listed several top 10 schools, can’t remember which ones. Some schools are real jerks about it

One of the bigger jerks? Clemson coach Amanda Butler when she was at Florida wrt player Sydney Moss.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My guess is that it wasn't the W/L record but the trend (particularly in the SEC) and the atmosphere in the locker room.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I'm writing this before moving on to page 3 on this thread, so apologies if this repeats something said elsewhere.

First - I wonder if the rumors of Jeff going to TN are good, bad or indifferent from UConn's perspective as we head to a possible match-up on Sunday. Good - players are distracted and rattled. Bad - players are angry and play with a vengeance in hopes they win the national title and he stays. Indifferent - they're well coached and play the way they are supposed to. My guess is the last option.

Second - if the rumors turn out to be true and they hire Walz, how about the irony for TN fans, who grew up hating Geno and Connecticut, and whose team is now led by one of Geno's best friends in the profession!

Three - The anti-Holly tone on VolNation sure was tamped down today. More regrets that things didn't work out better, but certainly glee in looking forward to the future.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Why is it sad for UConn fans?
Why is it sad for HW? She was paid handsomely for the past 7 years (more than what many people make during their whole lives.) and am sure the buy out is not shabby either. She can now retire or volunteer for a high school coaching job!

Hopefully not where my granddaughters are playing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom