Holly Warlick - She's Gone | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Holly Warlick - She's Gone

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Sorry, but this makes little sense.

"UT spends a lot on the LVs".
Uhh, Warlick (700k) was way under top tier coaches like Walz (1.5M).

No idea to what extent this is true but several posters on VN (some had links if I remember correctly) stated that Louisville's new AD is cutting other aspects of the Cardinal's program, in particular, the recruiting and travel budget. That might be as equally important to a top notch coach as the base salary.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I sure hope so! ;)

He and his players will be inundated with questions about it from the media. Even if they show a united front and refuse to answer anything, it won't stop the questions from being asked. They ought to stay in Rome or even further away from Albany. John Thompson had his team stay in Biloxi, 80 miles from New Orleans, during the 1982 Final Four. The media frenzy in Albany will be intense. It's great for us!

Reaction Score
Yes, schools can and do restrict where a player can transfer. For example, if someone leave an AAC team, the school can make the release conditional that she can’t go to another AAC school. I heard of one school recently that listed several top 10 schools the player couldn’t go to, can’t remember which ones. Some schools are real jerks about it
I am not sure if that applies in this situation because the players have not yet enrolled in school, so it isn't considered a transfer. If they are hypothetically released from their letter of intent they may be free to go anywhere. Of course you never know with NCAA issues like this.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am not sure if that applies in this situation because the players have not yet enrolled in school, so it isn't considered a transfer. If they are hypothetically released from their letter of intent they may be free to go anywhere. Of course you never know with NCAA issues like this.
It’s the schools that control whether a player can be released and not the NCAA.

Reaction Score
As in General Basketball interest. OK! So there are degrees to what is interesting to the UCONN faithful. :)
If Jeff gets the job, the revival of the series becomes national news. Good for women's basketball.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Can you
If Jeff gets the job, the revival of the series becomes national news. Good for women's basketball.

Can you imagine, Jeff licking his chops at the prospect of landing with all that talent and UConn waiting to be whooped in front of a mega-National audience?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Jeff can be there tomorrow...he'll forgo the game Friday for the Tenn job. :D
So what's the math, here? Walz goes from being the second best coach in the ACC to the third best in the SEC? Or am I being too generous?

Reaction Score
So to all the experts who say you can’t be fired under contract or if you’re given an extension. You better think again!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So what's the math, here? Walz goes from being the second best coach in the ACC to the third best in the SEC? Or am I being too generous?
I think he would be behind Vic, but not behind Dawn or Gary.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A fair assessment...although our Gamecock friends may feel differently.
I'm sure they would. I do give Dawn credit for revamping her offense this season. But I'd put Vic and Jeff ahead of her.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is horrible for the NCAA tournament broadcasts. Can you imagine Adam, Rebecca, and Kara? "Tennessee coaching situation, blah, blah, blah," while someone's just fouled out and you hadn't heard she'd had any fouls. "Tennessee coaching. . ." while someone's shooting a technical and you have no idea why.

This is bad for basketball fans for the next week-plus.

Heck, during the high-school McD's game they were talking about it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'll post this video is this thread as well.

Cornelius is a professional slimeball, and the fact that she passes herself off a "journalist" is an affront to the profession.

Having said that, it's worth noting how she answered the question about a possible successor. She only talked about Kellie Harper, how the timing seems perfect for her, what a great pedigree she has, etc. Not a word about Walz or anyone else. There is definitely a contingent in Knoxville that would be loath to see the position go to a male who is unconnected to the Pat Summitt glory days.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The end of an era, the beginning of a new one. It happens to every program. It happened at UCLA when Wooden retired. It will happen at Stanford when Tara leaves, and at UConn when Geno calls it a career.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Cornelius is a professional slimeball, and the fact that she passes herself off a "journalist" is an affront to the profession.

Having said that, it's worth noting how she answered the question about a possible successor. She only talked about Kellie Harper, how the timing seems perfect for her, what a great pedigree she has, etc. Not a word about Walz or anyone else. There is definitely a contingent in Knoxville that would be loath to see the position go to a male who is unconnected to the Pat Summitt glory days.

For many of the Vol faithful, the next coach must be connected to the program and Pat. Maria is one of those.

Reaction Score
The end of an era, the beginning of a new one. It happens to every program. It happened at UCLA when Wooden retired. It will happen at Stanford when Tara leaves, and at UConn when Geno calls it a career.
When Geno leaves we will fall back to being more like Quinnipiac and our AAC brethren.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
1553792943866.png
Thank you, Leticia Baldridge (1926-2012)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For many of the Vol faithful, the next coach must be connected to the program and Pat. Maria is one of those.

Wanting the next coach to have ties to Pat and the program limits the pool of candidates. What if the best available person to replace Holly has no ties to the program? Why restrict the search and consideration for "the right coach" to those parameters?

If they really want to turn the program around and do it quickly, why not broaden the search to find the best man/woman that wants the job? What happens if they can’t find a suitable candidate with ties?

Perhaps Phillip Fulmer (AD) already has her replacement on deck just waiting for the appropriate time to make the announcement. Once he decided to terminate Holly, it would not surprise me if he put out a few “feelers”, and made a few phone calls to potential replacements on the down low. Phillip Fulmer could be a Tennessee hero again if he could hire Jeff Walz. Imagine if Fulmer could pull off what Tennessee’s previous athletic directors couldn’t. What if he could hire Louisville women’s basketball coach Jeff Walz?

Louisville Courier-Journal sports columnist Tim Sullivan addressed the topic from a different angle Wednesday. He made a great case for why Walz — despite all his success at Louisville — might find the Tennessee job appealing. The cupboard is not bare, and UT is P5 program that is legendary, and still draws top rated recruits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom