Holly Breaking the Wrong Records | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Holly Breaking the Wrong Records

Reaction Score
I wonder how well UConn will handle the coaching situation once Geno leaves.........................the pressure on his replacement will be immense....................I'm confident that who ever it is will be a far superior coach and teacher to Holly but there will be no guarantees of success on the court......................I would hate to have the team devolve into a similar malaise that Tennessee appears to be in...........

Reaction Score
The top notch TN teams of the past left ten years ago. Surely TN is a top 25 team since then, however, they did drop out of the top 25 at one point in the recent past.
I think @eebmg pointed out that Holly's recruiting strategy is flawed. She has been getting size and athleticism, but not a bunch of good shooters with high BBIQ.
Looking in from the outside, and you can evaluate every team the same way, Holly today has one player that has AA POTENTIAL, Evina Westbrook. The next level has Rennia Davis and Meme Jackson as POTENTIAL AA, but they are way too inconsistent. The remainder of the roster is young, inexperienced, and perhaps some overrated as a HS player.
To win big games, the above big three must be firing on all cylinders. If not, losses occur and evidence of inconsistent or lack of development appears. This becomes the greatest IMHO need from the head coach. Holly and staff are failing in that regard. You just have to look at Mercedes Russell. #1 pick out of Oregon, was never an All American.
Let me reiterate that TN is YOUNG. Holly's coaching issues show up way too often with a young team. They will mature, but Holly will still have the same issues.

Reaction Score
The top notch TN teams of the past left ten years ago. Surely TN is a top 25 team since then, however, they did drop out of the top 25 at one point in the recent past.
I think @eebmg pointed out that Holly's recruiting strategy is flawed. She has been getting size and athleticism, but not a bunch of good shooters with high BBIQ.
Looking in from the outside, and you can evaluate every team the same way, Holly today has one player that has AA POTENTIAL, Evina Westbrook. The next level has Rennia Davis and Meme Jackson as POTENTIAL AA, but they are way too inconsistent. The remainder of the roster is young, inexperienced, and perhaps some overrated as a HS player.
To win big games, the above big three must be firing on all cylinders. If not, losses occur and evidence of inconsistent or lack of development appears. This becomes the greatest IMHO need from the head coach. Holly and staff are failing in that regard. You just have to look at Mercedes Russell. #1 pick out of Oregon, was never an All American.
Let me reiterate that TN is YOUNG. Holly's coaching issues show up way too often with a young team. They will mature, but Holly will still have the same issues.
How would these inconsistent HS type players do against Uconn's second 5??

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Warlick is signed through ‘21-‘22. That would be a three year buyout. Is that realistically going to happen?

I doubt it, since UT is already paying former football and maybe basketball coaches.

Reaction Score
Please explain how two Coaches go Head to Head 22 times and one Coach win 13 times, one Coach beat the other Coach 4-0 in Championship games ,but because the opposing Coach have a better over-all record that makes them the GOAT? How many people are saying Dean Smith was better than John Wooden because he had a better over-all record. How many Women Coaches have a 111 win streak? How many Women Coaches have won 11 Championships ?Let's be Real.
Pat has more wins than Geno, but not a better overall record. Geno's winning percentage is ridiculous. In the last 1100 games, Geno's record is 1001-99 which is a .910 winning percentage.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you were to watch Holly's last press conference you'd see a coach give everyone on her team who let her down be given a pass. The "clip board" never learned tough from Pat Summit and for all I know she was the "mother hen" for 27 years. Holly is just plain dumb and cannot coach and her recruiting, while impressive by the recruit rankings, does not produce a team that can shoot straight. Forget playing as a team, none of her uber athletic young women can consistently shoot at any distance, not even lay ups. She has two so called shooters on that team. Yeah, just two. Both are erratic. She has no ability to put an offense together that increases the odds of success for a ball tossed at the basket. And it will never change.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If Joanne McCallie still has her job at Duke, no way will Holly be fired. Duke is a train wreck. Just ask @CamrnCrz1974 . I really feel badly for him and @triaddukefan and any other Duke fans we know...!

FB_IMG_1547610881233.jpg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And here's an AP article that ESPN is running on its NCAAW homepage:

Lady Vols looking to regroup from losing streak
The 20th-ranked Lady Volunteers (12-4, 1-3 SEC) have lost three straight games for the first time since February 1986. That three-game skid includes Tennessee's first back-to-back home losses since December 1996.​
It's the latest rough stretch for a program trying to rebound from two straight NCAA tournament second-round exits, which marks Tennessee's longest absence from the Sweet 16.​
"I worry about them refocusing," Tennessee coach Holly Warlick said Wednesday. "Look, we're going to make mistakes. We've got to learn to regroup and really concentrate on what's getting ready to happen. I think this group sometimes dwells on what just happened instead of putting it behind [them] and getting motivated to what we need to do moving forward."​
Tennessee hasn't lost four consecutive games since the early 1970s, in the years before former coach Pat Summitt took over the program. The Lady Vols will try to avoid that fate Thursday when they visit Alabama (9-8, 1-3).​
The Tennessee-Alabama series exemplifies the Lady Vols' changing fortunes. Tennessee has lost its past four games against Alabama after beating the Crimson Tide 42 straight times from 1984 to 2016.​

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Harvey: Warlick breaking the wrong kind of records

Have to wonder if Holly is able to survive, if the Lady Vols don't get to the Sweet 16 in this years tournament. They have a talented team and their Immediate Future (next year) looks brighter then UConn's, even with Holly as their coach. However, IMO if they want to win a National Championship, they need to hire a New Coach.

If dollars comes into the decision on whether to keep Holly or replace her, the following attendance stats might be a factor. (Found on VolNation)

Avg. home attendance per game:
  • 2009-10: 12,254
  • 2010-11: 12,537
  • 2011-12: 14,414 (Pat's last year)
  • 2012-13: 11,390
  • 2013-14: 11,038
  • 2014-15: 10,375
  • 2015-16: 10,412
  • 2016-17: 9,184
  • 2017-18: 8,778
  • 2018-19: 7,999 (10 g.)
The effect is above, the cause is below:

1547682605528.png

2018-2019 so far 12-4 overall, 1-3 conference

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I remember a 1996-1997 Tennessee WBB team with (gasp) ten losses, finishing fifth in the SEC, losing in the SEC semis, and barely stumbling into the NCAA Tournament, passed in perhaps on Pat's rep, with a Regional Final date against a wounded but undefeated UCONN team...……………………….
The LV point guard was injured during the season and the team struggled while she was out, and for a few games after she returned. It was a special case, not one of coaching malpractice

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Oh, c'mon! At her retirement, Pat Summitt was the greatest coach in WBB history. And then, Geno surpassed her.
Mmm, I don't know about. Let's do a back of the envelop review:
Up to 2012, Pat had 8 titles, Geno had 7 titles. Geno won the FIBA Worlds in 2010, Olympic Gold in 2012. Geno had been to 5 straight Final Fours at this point. Pat, in 2012, had missed the Final Four for 4 straight years. Pat's teams were still SEC dominant but the SEC was not as good at the Big East. To wit:
From 2008-2012 (Pat's last NC title until she retired:
SEC had 30 teams qualify in 5 NCAA's and 2 teams made the Final Four, both in 2008 (Tenn/LSU)
BigEast had 39 teams qualify with 8 teams making the Final Four. UConn won 2 of the 5 times.

Not so clear...

Plebe

Reaction Score
Mmm, I don't know about. Let's do a back of the envelop review:
Up to 2012, Pat had 8 titles, Geno had 7 titles. Geno won the FIBA Worlds in 2010, Olympic Gold in 2012. Geno had been to 5 straight Final Fours at this point. Pat, in 2012, had missed the Final Four for 4 straight years. Pat's teams were still SEC dominant but the SEC was not as good at the Big East. To wit:
From 2008-2012 (Pat's last NC title until she retired:
SEC had 30 teams qualify in 5 NCAA's and 2 teams made the Final Four, both in 2008 (Tenn/LSU)
BigEast had 39 teams qualify with 8 teams making the Final Four. UConn won 2 of the 5 times.

Not so clear...
Another couple of evaluation factors in Geno's favor:
  • Pat had an 11-year head start on Geno.
  • Pat inherited a winning program; Geno inherited a perennial bottom-feeder.

Reaction Score
Another couple of evaluation factors in Geno's favor:
  • Pat had an 11-year head start on Geno.
  • Pat inherited a winning program; Geno inherited a perennial bottom-feeder.
That’s ridiculous. UT barely had any type of women’s team when she got there. Pat Summitt built that program from provincial to powerhouse, just like UConn.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That’s ridiculous. UT barely had any type of women’s team when she got there. Pat Summitt built that program from provincial to powerhouse, just like UConn.
What was Tennessee's record the year before Pat started?

Plebe

Reaction Score

Plebe

Reaction Score
Sometimes you lead a horse to water and it won’t drink....

In this exchange going on, I am reminded of Cool Hand Luke “What we got here is a failure to communicate”...

People use the computer to go on to Google and either use Wiki or go to the school sites...
Never ceases to amaze me the fairy tales that people choose to believe.

Pat inherited a losing program.
Tennessee had no program before Pat.
Pat invented the rebound.
Pat gave women the right to vote.
Etc. etc. etc.

Reaction Score
On some stuff that has been bantered about here

From my vision, Holly gets a pass on the attendance slipping.... it has been down nationwide in recent years.....

On the 97 Tenn team that won it all with 10 losses that was a great year for them.... and Pat was at her pinnacle.... perhaps the program's crowning achievement.....

I hate it when i hear that the LVs are young and they will shake out the cobwebs.... first, for several years we have been hearing that, and though I have not fact checked this.... Georgia is the youngest team in the SEC and they knocked off Tennessee and their team of HS (6) all americans

It is difficult for a WCBB coach to be ousted.... it is not a revenue sport and interest is not what it is in football or mens hoops.... so as long as Holly wins 70 percent of her games and continues to get good players in the program.... I think she continues to rule the roost

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
There is a growing sentiment amoung LV fans hoping that TN misses the Big Dance entirely by stumbling so badly this season that Fulmer has no choice but to replace HW. Sad times in Knoxville.
they dont want that to happen... they're just trying to soften the blow

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom