Holdsclaw case settled | The Boneyard

Holdsclaw case settled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Excerpting from an AP piece:

. . . "Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard says Holdsclaw pleaded guilty Friday to
aggravated assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony and other
charges. The 35-year old was sentenced to three years probation and ordered to pay a
$3000 fine under the plea agreement." . . .

Hopefully Chamique gets the counseling she needs to get her life back together.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow. she's lucky she avoided jail time. Really feel for her - Catch is my favorite vol along with Lawson, but Holdsclaw was such a great hoops player, it's sad to see her life deteriorate like it did. I agree - hope she gets the help she needs to lead a more productive life...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
IIRC, didn't Plaxico Burress get significant jail time for carrying a concealed firearm and then discharging it accidentally at a bar? (and hitting his own leg)

Meanwhile CH smashes the windows with a baseball bat and then fires a gunshot into the car--with Lacy inside--and gets zero jailtime, only probation. Interesting contrast between the tough mandatory sentencing in NY for firearms violations and the situation in Georgia. I'd say Chamique is very, very lucky.

I posted a supportive note when the news on this first broke in the hopes that she would get the help she needs, and I still do hope she is getting that help. But it also seems to me that at least a small amount of jail time is warranted in this instance since Lacy was actually inside the car.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Holdsclaw is one of my all time favorites. I hope she can move in the right direction with her life and is able to work through her issues with depression.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This is the bit I liked.... :rolleyes:

"She must also avoid violent contact with Lacy and complete anger management."

LINK

Reaction Score
She is so lucky..... she really dodged a bullet.... no pun intended there..... .. no jail time for discharging firearm WITH Lacy in the car?

At any rate..... life truly has been a struggle in several ways for CH..... I hope, like the rest of us, that she does well going forth.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Let's not forget that she first doused the inside with gasoline and then fired into the car...hoping to set the car on fire with Lacy in it. I'm sorry but this troubled young lady should be doing time. Her getting off may end up being someone else's future tragedy.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks Holdsclaw is a dangerous punk? Just because she was a good bball player doesn't mean she's a stand up citizen. "Gee, I hope she gets treatment?" Well, I hope she doesn't kill somebody the next time she loses it.

If these violent crimes were committed by a nobody from the hood they would be serving time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am very concerned about her behavior and the potential risk to the public that she represents. And yes, anyone from another context would likely be either serving time or would be hospitalized for in patient treatment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Only explanation that I can up come up with is that she has a known medical condition, and was off her meds. Hate to see this end with her hurting herself or others.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks Holdsclaw is a dangerous punk? Just because she was a good bball player doesn't mean she's a stand up citizen. "Gee, I hope she gets treatment?" Well, I hope she doesn't kill somebody the next time she loses it.

If these violent crimes were committed by a nobody from the hood they would be serving time.

Yep.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that she first doused the inside with gasoline and then fired into the car...hoping to set the car on fire with Lacy in it. I'm sorry but this troubled young lady should be doing time. Her getting off may end up being someone else's future tragedy.
I agree. Heck, even her name is scary. Like someone being attacked by an eagle.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll never forget the way PHS treated Holdsclaw. She won 3 titles for that woman, loses as a senior and Summitt just went off on her and the other Meeks. Stuff happens, what about some thanks for 4 great years and three titles? None of that from Pat. We all know Holdsclaw has emotional issues. I wonder if that tirade had a lasting impact. Look at it from CH's perspective. She gives it her all, wins 3 titles and it's not enough? Insults from the woman to whom she gave her heart and soul to? Anyone who calls PHS "classy" is insane.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'll never forget the way PHS treated Holdsclaw. She won 3 titles for that woman, loses as a senior and Summitt just went off on her and the other Meeks. Stuff happens, what about some thanks for 4 great years and three titles? None of that from Pat. We all know Holdsclaw has emotional issues. I wonder if that tirade had a lasting impact. Look at it from CH's perspective. She gives it her all, wins 3 titles and it's not enough? Insults from the woman to whom she gave her heart and soul to? Anyone who calls PHS "classy" is insane.

I don't think we can link this to Pat. Pat was a mother figure to Holdsclaw so trying to tie this back to Pat is less classy than any tirade Pat may have ever gone on.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It is easy to judge when you have never had to deal with depression. Someone on here has a tag line of "I'll be ok if I take my meds," which makes mental illness seem like a bit of a joke, but clinical depression can ruin a person's life if not treated. I am diabetic and I take insulin to stay alive. I have depression and I do take my meds to survive and function as a rational (debatable) human being.

I decided once that I was tired of taking daily meds and went cold turkey off of my antidepressant. Thank goodness I had a friend who talked some sense into me after a week or I could have done something I would have regretted. Putting Holdsclaw in jail would have done nothing to help her. In my opinion it would have had the opposite effect and would probably have led to her permanent demise.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
well then, perhaps some inpatient treatment would serve her well.....

Alas, we are all speculating....except the person who didn't get hit with the bullet - this time

Reaction Score
I don't care what type of "illness" you have, you have to work at keeping it together. Tiger couldn't help himself and keep his dick in his pants, some therapy and on he goes. Nah, you do stuff and you own it. She shot a gun into a car with someone in it, after smacking it with a bat and 1st chasing the car down. Not your Griner sucker punch heat of the moment action. Jail time. You don't go to jail to get rehabilitated you go to jail for punishment for your actions. Ocho Cinco get 30 days for patting his lawyer on the butt instead of his plea deal?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Depression doesn't absolve you from committing a felony. She should be in jail or institutionalized. The state has a fundamental responsibility to enforce its laws and keep its citizens safe.

Reaction Score
I am of 2 minds..... Yes, I do have tremendous sympathy for CH and her plight in life..... she has definitely had some burdens to carry...... and I hope she does well going forth...

But, given the facts of this case, if it was anyone else, there would be jail time..... this is an incredibly serious offense.... it seems like everyone is turning a blind eye to the facts....... or more so the truth..... she lawyered up very well

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Depression doesn't absolve you from committing a felony. She should be in jail or institutionalized. The state has a fundamental responsibility to enforce its laws and keep its citizens safe.

Depression can if you are having fugue state episodes having no awareness or memory of your actions.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Depression can if you are having fugue state episodes having no awareness or memory of your actions.
In which case, you are a danger to yourself and others and should be institutionalized.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In which case, you are a danger to yourself and others and should be institutionalized.
I fully agree. I just wanted to be clear about what can be. Depression with disassociative fugue states can exempt you under the law, specifically, because of the inability to formulate intent since you likely are not even aware of who or where you are. Fortunately, they are very rare but can be related to cases of extreme depression.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I decided once that I was tired of taking daily meds and went cold turkey off of my antidepressant. Thank goodness I had a friend who talked some sense into me after a week or I could have done something I would have regretted. Putting Holdsclaw in jail would have done nothing to help her. In my opinion it would have had the opposite effect and would probably have led to her permanent demise.

Speaking for the rest of the planet, she discharged a firearm into an occupied automobile - while I am sure everyone hopes she gets whatever depression she has under control, but Jesus, if that little outburst doesn't get her some jail time, what will?

She attacked someone with a bat and when the bat didn't get her into the car, she shot it with a gun. Oh, and she poured gas into it.

If she was a dude, she'd be pilloried as a domestic abuser and a felon - which, by the way, she is.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am of 2 minds..... Yes, I do have tremendous sympathy for CH and her plight in life..... she has definitely had some burdens to carry...... and I hope she does well going forth...

But, given the facts of this case, if it was anyone else, there would be jail time..... this is an incredibly serious offense.... it seems like everyone is turning a blind eye to the facts....... or more so the truth..... she lawyered up very well

OJ Simpson is proof that lawyering up works in the US, as have many other rich criminals. I am quite surprised that this decision was made and had she been given jail time I would not have argued it. I don't think that it would have done anything to improve Holdsclaw's future but I can understand those would like to see her go to jail.

I would like to know what Lacy's role was in this sentencing. The fact that she cannot have any "violent" contact with Lacy makes me wonder if Lacy supported Holdsclaw throughout this legal proceeding.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I will have to say that the title of her book is a bit prophetic: Breaking Through: Beating the Odds Shot After Shot. She truly did beat the odds on this one...despite breaking through Lacy's windows and firing shot after shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom