Hold on to your hats - Charlie speaks | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hold on to your hats - Charlie speaks

Reaction Score
While as a UConn fan I have always been heavily invested in the Huskies seeding, through the years I could understand most decisions. Having Virginia Tech in the top 8, much less the top 4, makes no sense. All the metrics that are supposed to count, strength of schedule, Top 10 wins, etc. are not in their favor.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how Stanford can remain a 1 seed. I think they have the same body of work as Uconn.
Yeah. When I heard that Stanford could be a #1 seed, I was left confused. I think that Stanford is a great team and usually they are worthy of that #1 spot. This year, they have been hot/cold. I just can't see them being a #1 seed.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
He has Princeton having to "play their way back in." That's only because he has picked Columbia to win the Ivy League Tournament this weekend. He does that despite 1) Princeton and Columbia sharing the Ivy League regular season championship, 2) Princeton playing better than Columbia at the end of the season and 3) the Ivy tournament on Princeton's home court.

Just more reason to root for Princeton.

And Princeton is listed as the #1 seed, which means they won the tiebreaker.

Reaction Score
Massey ratings has moved UConn to #2 in ranking-10th in offense 4th in defense

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
No change to top 16. Here are the comments from CC:

"Wednesday was much calmer in Bracketology. No bids were stolen as UNLV completed its perfect Mountain West season with a conference tournament title. The No. 11 and 12 seeds are crowded with teams that could be on either seed line. Given how similar the profiles are, and for geographical balance and more beneficial travel, the Lady Rebels remain a No. 12 seed. Sacramento State (No. 13) claimed the Big Sky crown, and the Hornets warranted a better seed than Northern Arizona would have been (No. 15), so that shuffled the seeding of some other teams. The top 16 remained unchanged."

Reaction Score
Agree that some of the brackets that have UConn as a #3 seed look pretty favorable. In any case, since Charlie is just a writer and does not pick the teams or seeds, what he says has about as much influence and you and I have.
With all due respect, it’s difficult to see how a nationally known writer whose entire career is built around his “bracketology” schtick can be said to have no influence on tournament selections. It is basically inconceivable that many of the selectors do not look at Crème’s brackets and accompanying articles. As for him having the same influence as “you and I” , I’m afraid that dog just won’t hunt. I wish it did though, as I find him to be extremely biased and full of himself.

Reaction Score
I'd be curious if anyone has ever seen Charlie delineate his strategy? Is it: 1) I'm all-knowing and all-powerful, and this is what the brackets need to look like, or 2) I'm doing my best to predict what the committee will do?

Reaction Score
UConn aside, I need an LSU & Maryland matchup bad. Not only Reese’s former team wanting to beat her new team, but Kim vs. Brenda would be interesting to say the least.
LSU by 10+

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'd be curious if anyone has ever seen Charlie delineate his strategy? Is it: 1) I'm all-knowing and all-powerful, and this is what the brackets need to look like, or 2) I'm doing my best to predict what the committee will do?
He and others at ESPN say 2) is his goal but we know from tweets ("I was right all along and ___ should not be top 16") suggests he lets 1) affect his work. He's human with an ego so understandable. All and all he and ESPN get what they want: fans paying attention. He'll still have a lot to say after the Committee reveals its brackets and the games begin but what he says then will be much less relevant or newsworthy.

After the tournament he'll reveal his preseason top 25 and the cycle will begin again.

Reaction Score
And deep
While SC is clearly the (heavy) favorite, they have nevertheless shown that they are not an unbeatable juggernaut. They’ve had two overtime games, and a four point game against a seriously compromised UConn team that was missing their best player and another starter/top bench player. They should win but it’s clearly not a certainty. One bad offensive game coupled with a hot shooting opponent and it’s bye bye SC! Not likely perhaps but, “Hope springs eternal”.:rolleyes: That reminds me of another (perhaps appropriate) saying, “whistling past the graveyard”:D
Not singling out SC in particular, I’d just as soon Stanford, Indiana, Iowa, LSU, etc are gone if we make the final four too. I know it’s shameful and cowardly but….there it is! I promise I’ll be braver next year!

Reaction Score
I didn't notice this one when it first came out. Creme with another artful piece attempting to minimize UConn's historic achievements. In this one, He's forecasting an SC NC, which isn't unlikely, and the comparing it to other undefeated NCs. The problem is how to do that without noticing UConn's towering achievements in precisely this area.

It must have killed him to post a table to past undefeated seasons that clearly shows SC to trail UConn in several statistical categories. In the end, he resorts to noting that UConn wasn't ranked #1 for the entirety of everyone of those seasons. Gee, I wonder why that was?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I didn't notice this one when it first came out. Creme with another artful piece attempting to minimize UConn's historic achievements. In this one, He's forecasting an SC NC, which isn't unlikely, and the comparing it to other undefeated NCs. The problem is how to do that without noticing UConn's towering achievements in precisely this area.

It must have killed him to post a table to past undefeated seasons that clearly shows SC to trail UConn in several statistical categories. In the end, he resorts to noting that UConn wasn't ranked #1 for the entirety of everyone of those seasons. Gee, I wonder why that was?
I read this article and thought, huh, is it my UConn-bias, or did he cite a bunch of stuff re TN without going into detail about UConn's undefeated+natty years?

Reaction Score
I read this article and thought, huh, is it my UConn-bias, or did he cite a bunch of stuff re TN without going into detail about UConn's undefeated+natty years?
Agree with both of your comments. My guess is that ESPN writers feel that people are tired of UConn and/or hate UConn, so best to downplay them. That is, unless we have Stewie and can’t be ignored.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, it’s difficult to see how a nationally known writer whose entire career is built around his “bracketology” schtick can be said to have no influence on tournament selections. It is basically inconceivable that many of the selectors do not look at Crème’s brackets and accompanying articles. As for him having the same influence as “you and I” , I’m afraid that dog just won’t hunt. I wish it did though, as I find him to be extremely biased and full of himself.
If you have followed Creme's picks and through the years have the committees have followed his assessments, you realize there is little influence. Charlie is more click bait than factual analysis.

Reaction Score
If you have followed Creme's picks and through the years have the committees have followed his assessments, you realize there is little influence. Charlie is more click bait than factual analysis.
I was just going to ask if the actual brackets matched Creme's. I'm glad they don't.

Keeping LSU as a top team is just a continuation of all the years Tenn was picked way past their prime and were eliminated early in the post season- only to be rated highly again the following year.

Reaction Score
Conveniently ignores every UConn team has a higher mov, while searching for SC dominance.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I would take this bracket but it’s also not consistent with how the committee has seeded teams in the previous two reveals. People are overestimating the last ten games with the committee has consistently rewarded team for their full resume.
As I said on another thread a UConn versus Indiana debate should give the #1 to UConn. In almost any metric you want to name UConn ranks better than Indiana. NET ranking, wins against top 25 NET, common opponents, SOS and regular season and conference tournament champions while Indiana lost in tournament semifinals. The only edge Indiana could claim would be last 10 but given the injury situation, which the committee is supposed to consider I can’t see how Indiana rates a #1 in the same bracket as UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom