Hockey East Standingsology: Using the KRACH to project the final HEA standings... | The Boneyard

Hockey East Standingsology: Using the KRACH to project the final HEA standings...

Reaction Score
Anyone but Merrimack in the first round. Snake Bitten.

Reaction Score
What happens to the 5th seed? Does the last place team make the conference tournament?

Reaction Score
Hockey East Standingsology: Using KRACH to project the final standings (2/12)

9483C339-CB9F-4024-AEE6-EB3405030EAA.jpeg

Current first-round playoff matchups are projected as:

6. UMass Lowell vs. 11. Merrimack
7. Connecticut vs. 10. Massachusetts
8. Vermont vs. 9. New Hampshire

Reaction Score
Big game tomorrow: 2/14

Maine @ UNH - 7pm

game will be on ESPN3

Reaction Score
As odd as it sounds, if I were in the bottom 6-11, I'd want to finish in the 8/9 slot since the winner of that series very likely will play #1 seed BC who (if they remain there) might be the worst regular season champion in the history of the sport. BC has not won an out of conference game since November 13, 2016! They are very beatable, whereas drawing @ NU or PC in the QFs is almost a definite loss.

Reaction Score
As odd as it sounds, if I were in the bottom 6-11, I'd want to finish in the 8/9 slot since the winner of that series very likely will play #1 seed BC who (if they remain there) might be the worst regular season champion in the history of the sport. BC has not won an out of conference game since November 13, 2016! They are very beatable, whereas drawing @ NU or PC in the QFs is almost a definite loss.
NU has a nice finish to tune up for HE tourney with 2 vs UNH and 2 vs UVM

Reaction Score
NU has a nice finish to tune up for HE tourney with 2 vs UNH and 2 vs UVM
And BC has 3 with Maine and one with UMass, so it's possible they make it up. But three points is tough to make up in four games without one team sliding completely into the tank.

Reaction Score
And BC has 3 with Maine and one with UMass, so it's possible they make it up. But three points is tough to make up in four games without one team sliding completely into the tank.
I think UMass is going to cause some issues for teams the last few weeks.....there is even a outside chance that they can catch UConn

Reaction Score
@brasssbonanzaa what are your thoughts going forward about programs and their futures? UMass looks to be finally headed in the right direction and age drown seems to have Maine competitive again while UNH with Souza in place to recruit as HC in waiting looks to be in a free fall and Merrimack can’t seem to get out of their own way.

Reaction Score
@brasssbonanzaa what are your thoughts going forward about programs and their futures? UMass looks to be finally headed in the right direction and age drown seems to have Maine competitive again while UNH with Souza in place to recruit as HC in waiting looks to be in a free fall and Merrimack can’t seem to get out of their own way.
Carvel is a good hire and will get UMass out of its doormat status. I don't know if Maine has legitimate staying power where they are, Gendron is unproven and they have recruiting hindrances. Similar argument for UNH, though their facilities are better. Unknown how Souza will do up there, but I don't foresee them returning to regular top-1o team any time soon. Merrimack is Merrimack, they'll never consistently be good, they rack up some extra wins because their home rink is so absurdly dumb and hard to play in due to its size. Dennehy is good enough and recruits well enough that they won't return to their ultra-doormat status of the 2000s. The big differentiator in the league over the last ~5-6 seasons has been PC and UML replacing UNH and Maine as league heavyweights. As long as Norm and Nate are there, both will continue to be strong year in and year out. BU and BC will be fine. UVM, as long as they have Sneddon will make comically bad decisions but, like UMass and MC, win enough games to not be in the bottom 10 of the country. Madigan is starting to find his groove at NU, though it remains to be seen whether they'll have staying power or if he just was able to get in a bunch of exceptional forwards. UConn - unclear. A lot depends on where the facility arrangement goes, as XL undoubtedly is a recruiting obstacle. Cav is good coach, though hasn't proven himself to be able to consistently punch above his weight class just yet.

The big change I foresee is the league moving toward an 8-team conference tournament with the bottom 3 eliminated beforehand. That would put much more pressure on the likes of UVM, MC, UMass, UConn, UNH, and Maine to build their programs up to avoid falling into that pit.

Reaction Score
Carvel is a good hire and will get UMass out of its doormat status. I don't know if Maine has legitimate staying power where they are, Gendron is unproven and they have recruiting hindrances. Similar argument for UNH, though their facilities are better. Unknown how Souza will do up there, but I don't foresee them returning to regular top-1o team any time soon. Merrimack is Merrimack, they'll never consistently be good, they rack up some extra wins because their home rink is so absurdly dumb and hard to play in due to its size. Dennehy is good enough and recruits well enough that they won't return to their ultra-doormat status of the 2000s. The big differentiator in the league over the last ~5-6 seasons has been PC and UML replacing UNH and Maine as league heavyweights. As long as Norm and Nate are there, both will continue to be strong year in and year out. BU and BC will be fine. UVM, as long as they have Sneddon will make comically bad decisions but, like UMass and MC, win enough games to not be in the bottom 10 of the country. Madigan is starting to find his groove at NU, though it remains to be seen whether they'll have staying power or if he just was able to get in a bunch of exceptional forwards. UConn - unclear. A lot depends on where the facility arrangement goes, as XL undoubtedly is a recruiting obstacle. Cav is good coach, though hasn't proven himself to be able to consistently punch above his weight class just yet.

The big change I foresee is the league moving toward an 8-team conference tournament with the bottom 3 eliminated beforehand. That would put much more pressure on the likes of UVM, MC, UMass, UConn, UNH, and Maine to build their programs up to avoid falling into that pit.

I think the fact that PC and UML have replaced Maine and UNH has heavyweights is a net negative for the conference.

Reaction Score
After 1. UNH up 2-1
Maine wins 4-3 in OT..they now have 23 pts and are tied for 4th with B U...Maine has 3 games left vs BC (1 at home, 2 in Boston)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maine wins 4-3 in OT..they now have 23 pts and are tied for 4th with B U...Maine has 3 games left vs BC (1 at home, 2 in Boston)
Tied for fourth, but virtually everyone else has a game in hand on them, except UConn and PC.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I get not having home ice would suck, but I’d take 5th place all day. As it is still a bye into a round they’ve never qualified for.

Reaction Score
I get not having home ice would suck, but I’d take 5th place all day. As it is still a bye into a round they’ve never qualified for.
Not buying finishing 5th, and road games in the 2nd round, I want another celebration like Friday night for taking a 1st round series

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom