Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I drove by this morning and the exterior panels are not 100% complete. The panels appear to be National Flag Blue in color and look very good. Most of the remaining work is on the front facade.

They are finishing up exterior work on the parking lot on the east side. It appears that they’re waiting to complete the fire pit outside the main entrance before putting the finishing touches on the brick walkway surrounding it.
National flag blue? That’s a surprise they were an off-white in the rendering. I can’t wait to actually see it.

Reaction Score
Suggestion:

Before the opening (men's) game on January 14 @ 7:30, let's all meet at Willimantic Brewing Company, aka Willibrew, around 5:00. Any takers?

Reaction Score
Toscano will be selling beer right?
There’s a bar on the upper level. I believe beer will be available throughout the arena. Beer is sold at Gampel and Elliott.

Reaction Score
Suggestion:

Before the opening (men's) game on January 14 @ 7:30, let's all meet at Willimantic Brewing Company, aka Willibrew, around 5:00. Any takers?
Great idea…love that place and any excuse to go is a good one. We’ll eandeavour to see you there !

Reaction Score
I would love to see a seating plan for the rink. How can there not be one out there at this date?

jho

Reaction Score
UConn has scheduled an open house for Toscano Family Ice Forum on Sunday, January 15th from 11:00 - 1:00. You need to reserve free tickets from the UConn Athletics website.

Reaction Score
UConn has scheduled an open house for Toscano Family Ice Forum on Sunday, January 15th from 11:00 - 1:00. You need to reserve free tickets from the UConn Athletics website.
Why would they schedule this during a MBB game?

jho

Reaction Score
The “soft” opening for Toscano will be for a Women’s hockey game vs Merrimack on Friday, January 13th at 6:00. Tickets to all women’s games are free. Go to the UConn ticket website to reserve.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how thick the ice is over the decals? I did not understand the process until I saw these photos/videos.

EDIT: Found it. Only 3/4 of an inch.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how thick the ice is over the decals? I did not understand the process until I saw these photos/videos.

EDIT: Found it. Only 3/4 of an inch.
Yup, that's standard for all NHL rinks.

Reaction Score
D6BCBDC4-7D88-4335-9113-56723429B378.png

According to StubHub this is the seating map

Reaction Score
So no public sale means between season ticket holders and planned students they anticipate full building?
I’m wondering if they’re getting strong feedback on students interested in going.

Reaction Score
So no public sale means between season ticket holders and planned students they anticipate full building?
I’m wondering if they’re getting strong feedback on students interested in going.
What's more likely...the place is TOO SMALL.

It is the smallest college hockey facility in the state.

It will rank 49th out of 60 in capacity among D1 men's programs.

It is the third-smallest college hockey facility to open since the turn of the century.

The list of schools who opened larger, new facilities since 2000:

ASU
Penn State
Notre Dame
Sacred Heart
Colorado College
Omaha
RIT
Bemidji
Duluth
QU
Miami OH
BU
Minnesota (exclusively for their women's program!)
North Dakota
Northern Michigan
Denver

Not one of those is below 3K.

Here's the list of schools who opened smaller, new rinks since 2000:
Bentley
Colgate

There is no refuting that the size of this arena is a complete and utter failure on the part of the university. The arena looks great and is a needed upgrade for the program in terms of facilities. Otherwise, it's a complete joke and embarrassment how small it is.

Also, putting 2,500 people in a facility with a high roof muffles noise, it doesn't amplify it.

Reaction Score
What's more likely...the place is TOO SMALL.

It is the smallest college hockey facility in the state.

It will rank 49th out of 60 in capacity among D1 men's programs.

It is the third-smallest college hockey facility to open since the turn of the century.

The list of schools who opened larger, new facilities since 2000:

ASU
Penn State
Notre Dame
Sacred Heart
Colorado College
Omaha
RIT
Bemidji
Duluth
QU
Miami OH
BU
Minnesota (exclusively for their women's program!)
North Dakota
Northern Michigan
Denver

Not one of those is below 3K.

Here's the list of schools who opened smaller, new rinks since 2000:
Bentley
Colgate

There is no refuting that the size of this arena is a complete and utter failure on the part of the university. The arena looks great and is a needed upgrade for the program in terms of facilities. Otherwise, it's a complete joke and embarrassment how small it is.

Also, putting 2,500 people in a facility with a high roof muffles noise, it doesn't amplify it.

The XL center is among the largest facilities used in College Hockey. If UConn manages and schedules right, average attendance will be more than fine. I’m hoping that fewer XL dates means significantly larger crowds there to offset the intimate capacity of Toscano. It seems that UConn realized they didn’t need to build large when then have the luxury of playing at two venues, and designed accordingly.

I suppose you could say the same for SHU who formerly played at the newly named Total Mortgage , but they’ve only been attracting 700-800 per game there, so 3600 may work in the near term due to the novelty, but we’ll see down the road as it may be too large for them on a given night,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom