Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'm sure others have said it but they really should have considered building a multi purpose arena for both basketball and hockey.
While it would have been nice to get a new basketball arena so we could have a modern facility that is a little bigger in capacity, I am glad they didn't do that.

It would be great for hoops and bad for hockey. Playing in an arena greater than 5k for hockey would be bad most nights and Gampel is part of the program's identity and makes for a great gameday experience (hopefully they build the concourse in the next 10 years), even if slightly undersized at the behest of state government.

It's also part of modern trends to have sport specific venues rather than multi purpose to better enhance in person experience as the TV viewing experience improves.

They could have just put three more rows in to get to 3k seating + the presumed 500 standing and there would have been little to complain about and if that wasn't feasible then build it in such a way to allow for expansion if and when program continues to improve and build a following with coming success.

They did neither of these things so they will get crucified for it.

It looks like it will be very nice from the renderings, livecam and having driven by it, but also a very difficult ticket at the detriment to the every day fan who will be relegated to watching them exclusively at the dump in Hartford.

Reaction Score
UConn’s average hockey attendance is 3-4k which is right in line with the arena capacity. There is no reason to pay more $ in an arena unless you expect to fill it. Albeit, they probably paid more $ than they should have… but the arena looks beautiful and is consistent with Gampel which is cool IMO.

UMass has a capacity of 8k+ and they only average about 4-5k. Our arena will look good on TV with a full capacity compared to a half empty arena. It will be louder and difficult to play at for opponents.

Reaction Score
While it would have been nice to get a new basketball arena so we could have a modern facility that is a little bigger in capacity, I am glad they didn't do that.

It would be great for hoops and bad for hockey. Playing in an arena greater than 5k for hockey would be bad most nights and Gampel is part of the program's identity and makes for a great gameday experience (hopefully they build the concourse in the next 10 years), even if slightly undersized at the behest of state government.

It's also part of modern trends to have sport specific venues rather than multi purpose to better enhance in person experience as the TV viewing experience improves.

They could have just put three more rows in to get to 3k seating + the presumed 500 standing and there would have been little to complain about and if that wasn't feasible then build it in such a way to allow for expansion if and when program continues to improve and build a following with coming success.

They did neither of these things so they will get crucified for it.

It looks like it will be very nice from the renderings, livecam and having driven by it, but also a very difficult ticket at the detriment to the every day fan who will be relegated to watching them exclusively at the dump in Hartford.
Look at the new Texas basketball arena. I wonder if UConn could have copied that model and put removable panels to close off seats.

Reaction Score
Not a bad seat in the house. But if all the rows are aligned why not make at least all the side seats chairbacks? Is it that much more room?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1671371936229.png

Boys, we’ve got ourselves a pretty nice barn!

jho

Reaction Score
Disclaimer: This info is an educated guess based on available arena renderings.

There are 24 sections in Toscano Family Ice Forum. I think they will be arranged as follows:
Sections 101-106 - West Side -Visitor Bench Side - Chairbacks
Sections 107-111 - North Goal - Chairbacks
Sections 112-117 - East Side - UConn Bench Side - Chairbacks
Sections 118-124 - South Goal - UConn shoots 2X - Bench Seats - Includes Student Sections

If I’m wrong, I blame the JCJ Architects.

Reaction Score
On the one hand, I'm very excited that I got tickets in the new arena - but on the other hand, I'm afraid that since they put me in Row A, I'm going to be on the ice which is exactly where I don't want to be.

It remains really, really weird to me that they're just assigning tickets to existing season ticket holders in this way.

jho

Reaction Score
On the one hand, I'm very excited that I got tickets in the new arena - but on the other hand, I'm afraid that since they put me in Row A, I'm going to be on the ice which is exactly where I don't want to be.

It remains really, really weird to me that they're just assigning tickets to existing season ticket holders in this way.
I agree that the row A is not the best seat for hockey but the good news is that the first row at Toscano is on top of the boards. I’ve been to Schneider Arena at PC with an elevated first row and the site lines are pretty good. Also, it’s only for 4 games so you’ll get to pick seats for next year in the Spring.

Reaction Score
I agree that the row A is not the best seat for hockey but the good news is that the first row at Toscano is on top of the boards. I’ve been to Schneider Arena at PC with an elevated first row and the site lines are pretty good. Also, it’s only for 4 games so you’ll get to pick seats for next year in the Spring.
ohhhh if first row is at the top of the boards that's certainly better than XL - good to know, even if not ideal!

Reaction Score
Boys, we’ve got ourselves a pretty nice barn!
Great to finally have an actual campus arena! Outside of the current new glass-fronted end, is sufficient room available to potentially enable future extension of the existing structure (insert more rows at glass end)? Not a civil engineer obviously, just hopeful. Skate on IceBus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great to finally have an actual campus arena! Outside of the current new glass-fronted end, is sufficient room available to potentially enable future extension of the existing structure (insert more rows at glass end)? Not a civil engineer obviously, just hopeful. Skate on IceBus.
I have been going through that thought process as well. It seems to me the easiest place to put additional seats would be in the standing room area, the ice level lounge, and putting counter level tables and chairs on both sides of the arena, right now it’s only on one. Additionally, we could expand the upper deck section. I think we could, provided there is demand, get to 3000 pretty comfortably. Perhaps a bit more.

Has anyone done a drive-by lately? I’m curious to see how the rink looks with the exterior panels on it. I presume that is finished now.

Reaction Score
I’m curious to hear your comparison of the two. Both are very nice and seem like great places to see a game. Have you been to Quinnipiac’s rink? That looks nice as well.

Yes, I’ve been to see two games at QU’s barn (now M&T Bank Arena). One of them was when Ruslan Ishkakov got knocked out cold by a monstrous hit - very scary moments! The arena itself is great except for how they handle beer sales lol. I also take acoustics as well as sight lines into account, and all are favorable there. I’m hoping an announcement about the CT Ice tournament for late January 2023 will be made soon!

Reaction Score
I for one like the fact that team benches are across from each other rather than next to each other NHL style. I wonder why they went this way and if there is a preference amongst college coaches though …

jho

Reaction Score
Has anyone done a drive-by lately? I’m curious to see how the rink looks with the exterior panels on it. I presume that is finished now.
I drove by this morning and the exterior panels are not 100% complete. The panels appear to be National Flag Blue in color and look very good. Most of the remaining work is on the front facade.

They are finishing up exterior work on the parking lot on the east side. It appears that they’re waiting to complete the fire pit outside the main entrance before putting the finishing touches on the brick walkway surrounding it.

Reaction Score
Where do you see what tickets you have?? I can't find it under my account. thanks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom