Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress

Reaction Score
Rink capacity for the four major D1 programs in CT:

Sacred Heart (new) - 3,600
Yale - 3.500
QU - 3,386
UConn (on campus, new) - 2,600

How embarrassing that the state's flagship university, with far and away the largest student enrollment among the four schools, has the "rinky dink" rink.

Reaction Score

Yale - 3.500
QU - 3,386

How embarrassing that the state's flagship university, with far and away the largest student enrollment among the four schools, has the "rinky dink" rink.
The rink capacity is a non-issue. The facility is state of the art and will be a difference maker for both UConn hockey programs. A job well done by UConn.

Reaction Score
It's great for the men's and women's teams (I'm glad), the students (I'm glad), and the politicians who score tickets. Not so for the 1,400 CT taxpayers per game who are left out because UConn reneged on its promise to build a 4,000 seat arena as a condition for entry into Hockey East.

Reaction Score
It's great for the men's and women's teams (I'm glad), the students (I'm glad), and the politicians who score tickets. Not so for the 1,400 CT taxpayers per game who are left out because UConn reneged on its promise to build a 4,000 seat arena as a condition for entry into Hockey

There will be a enough games each year at the XL center where tax payers will have the opportunity to attend. The on campus games can be for the students. It’s a win win for everyone.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Yale - 3.500
QU - 3,386

Its stupid. Just stupid.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping I'm wrong, but is the camera facing the parking lot to not show that they are behind schedule?

Reaction Score
I'm hoping I'm wrong, but is the camera facing the parking lot to not show that they are behind schedule?
Unless it changed recently - there was an exterior camera view and an interior camera view.

Reaction Score
Unless it changed recently - there was an exterior camera view and an interior camera view.
Unless I missed something, when I checked this morning the camera was aimed at the parking lot.

Reaction Score
Unless I missed something, when I checked this morning the camera was aimed at the parking lot.
Good pick up you're right. The camera faces the parking now on the website. They definitely saw the pictures from the Sacred Heart rink and are feeling the pressure. Since both rinks are set to open on the 14th.
I mean looking at the calendar there are 39 days until Jan 14 so time is certainly not on their side right now. And that's not even factoring in Xmas & NYE.

Reaction Score
Good pick up you're right. The camera faces the parking now on the website. They definitely saw the pictures from the Sacred Heart rink and are feeling the pressure. Since both rinks are set to open on the 14th.
I mean looking at the calendar there are 39 days until Jan 14 so time is certainly not on their side right now. And that's not even factoring in Xmas & NYE.
One is being built at at a private school. One is being built at a government school. The former is larger, cheaper and on time. Don't worry, we'll get there.

Reaction Score
One is being built at at a private school. One is being built at a government school. The former is larger, cheaper and on time. Don't worry, we'll get there.
Good point - Interestingly we have the perfect comparative study of Public vs Private development because the costs for Martire Family Arema at SHU turned out to be the same - $70 million and was developed under the same economic conditions in the same state. Martire contains 1000 seats more and supposedly supports figure skating too (though the rink is 200x85 hockey spec. There is certainly a difference in construction procedures with respect to public vs private based projects, but with the equivalent $ spent I also wonder if there may be certain amenities present at Toscano FIF that are absent at Martire FA? I mean other than fire pits. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I mean other than fire pits
I mean, what would you rather have 1000 more seats or an outdoor fire pit?

Reaction Score
Good point - Interestingly we have the perfect comparative study of Public vs Private development because the costs for Martire Family Arema at SHU turned out to be the same - $70 million and was developed under the same economic conditions in the same state. Martire contains 1000 seats more and supposedly supports figure skating too (though the rink is 200x85 hockey spec. There is certainly a difference in construction procedures with respect to public vs private based projects, but with the equivalent $ spent I also wonder if there may be certain amenities present at Toscano FIF that are absent at Martire FA? I mean other than fire pits. ;)
Having spent the past 37 years as a self-employed, commissioned salesperson, my comments regarding private vs public sector spending will remain silent. I don't wish to be tossed from the BY.

Reaction Score
Having spent the past 37 years as a self-employed, commissioned salesperson, my comments regarding private vs public sector spending will remain silent. I don't wish to be tossed from the BY.
Question for you Viet Vet will you be buying season tix to both venues? XL only?

Reaction Score
I mean, what would you rather have 1000 more seats or an outdoor fire pit?
If I actually have the opportunity to hold season tickets there - the fire pits, no brainer - I mean I only occupy one seat at a time, but yeah otherwise, the seats ;) and more opportunity to be in one. Also traffic to and from Storrs is a consideration as compared to a much more accessible XL Center.

Actually I'll say this. I'll see a game at both the SHU and UConn hockey venues and compare notes from the perspective of an average fan, so I'll reserve judgment for now. I've enjoyed some games at the (freshly named) M&T Bank Arena at Quinnipiac, though find their policies surrounding beer to be understandable yet inconvenient (only served in the adjacent venue - basketball - away from the game. That facility is in between in size so a good middle of the road baseline.

Also from a piece in USCHO...

UConn’s new crown jewel of an arena set to prove that bigger isn’t always better

"Instead, this arena will feature a little more than 2,600 seats with a standing-room capacity that will push 3,000. "

Standing room is a consideration - I mean that's exactly how Ingalls also boosts their crowds - IMHO in an awkward manner with the slope of the walkways.

Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Hockey/Rink discussion begins @ 20:10 mark:

Benedict saying it’s going to be “one of the toughest tickets to get in town” kinda irks me. I have supported this team for the last 7 years and it sounds like I’ll be lucky to see a game there. UConn asking me for donations was a non starter. I had kids in college for most of the pre Toscano period, so donating to our athletic teams (beyond all the tickets I’ve purchased over the years) was not a priority. Besides, I’ve been a Connecticut taxpayer all of my adult life, so they get some of my money by default. The more I think about, the more it upsets me. They are holding people hostage to having to donate big bucks if they want to see a game there. I get that it’s business, but it rubs me the wrong way. Someone talk me off the ledge please.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hockey/Rink discussion begins @ 20:10 mark:

Benedict saying it’s going to be “one of the toughest tickets to get in town” kinda irks me. I have supported this team for the last 7 years and it sounds like I’ll be lucky to see a game there. UConn asking me for donations was a non starter. I had kids in college for most of the pre Toscano period, so donating to our athletic tems was not a priority. Besides, I’ve been a Connecticut taxpayer all of my adult life, so they get some of my money by default. The more I think about, the more it upsets me. They are holding people hostage to having to donate big bucks if they want to see a game there. I get that it’s business, but it rubs me the wrong way. Someone talk me off the ledge please.
You're 100% right. It's ridiculous and him trying to say there is value in creating this demand is so wrong. Maybe you do create some value but it's the wrong type of value, you want the value driven by the play on the ice and the success of the team. You're alienating a fanbase that is very passionate about their team and especially about this sport. In order to make a couple more $$ while diluting the fanbase because the hardcore won't go anywhere but the fringe fans might turn their nose because they can't go. But the rationale will be oh you can go to the games in Hartford. All around it's brutal.

Reaction Score
Benedict saying it’s going to be “one of the toughest tickets to get in town” kinda irks me. I have supported this team for the last 7 years and it sounds like I’ll be lucky to see a game there. UConn asking me for donations was a non starter. I had kids in college for most of the pre Toscano period, so donating to our athletic teams (beyond all the tickets I’ve purchased over the years) was not a priority. Besides, I’ve been a Connecticut taxpayer all of my adult life, so they get some of my money by default. The more I think about, the more it upsets me. They are holding people hostage to having to donate big bucks if they want to see a game there. I get that it’s business, but it rubs me the wrong way. Someone talk me off the ledge please.
Bomber36, you know I'm with you on this........................100%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom