Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hockey Arena Groundbreaking/Progress

Reaction Score

Wraparound assist <<<

-> UConn plans to open its new on-campus hockey facility with a men’s and women’s doubleheader, with the men facing Northeastern, on Jan. 14.

The plan, subject to change because construction is ongoing and various certifications must be obtained, is for the men’s team to play 17 home games — 12 at the XL Center in Hartford and five at the new arena, with one of those on-campus games for a student-only crowd.

Both teams’ schedules are not yet finalized.

A 16-game men’s season ticket package will be available to new and existing season ticket holders. The first 12 games will be played at the XL Center and the rest at the campus rink, scheduled to be legally and structurally prepared to host a crowd on Jan. 1.

The women are also expected to play their final five home games at the new arena after playing the first portion of their schedule at Freitas Ice Forum. <-

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Does anyone have any idea what the Storrs Hartford mix will be after this year?

Reaction Score

Mention from the attached article:

“There are tentative plans for there to be split-season ticket packages beginning in 2023-24, with games split between Storrs and Hartford similar to the basketball model.”

Reaction Score
NHR article in this post, #56 , I've recieved my renewal yesterday for this year ,but no info yet from....

"The website, likely to be live Friday morning, will also contain information on 2023-24 renewal, when fans will have more freedom to pick seats at various prices. ".... and as Medic posted above.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Mention from the attached article:

“There are tentative plans for there to be split-season ticket packages beginning in 2023-24, with games split between Storrs and Hartford similar to the basketball model.”
Ugh, that model needs to be rethought. I was hoping once the hockey arena was finished UConn would be in a better position to renegotiate the deal. I wrote about it one time on the basketball board, but at best playing in a pack to XL would be only slightly more breakeven to playing in a full Gampel. The deal gets worse if it’s not a sell out.

Don’t get me wrong, the XL is actually a good venue to see Connecticut hockey and I’ve enjoyed the games that I’ve gone to there, but the CDRA has an absolutely predatory attitude regarding uconn. In essence they transfer a large portion of their operating losses to the athletic department, which makes it look like it is ineptly run.

Here’s that post:

I did a quick and dirty computation in another thread, but in essence, the rental for the XL center is $40,000 +3 dollars per seat. So it cost us about 88,000 for a full house. Assuming a cost of $25 per ticket the gross revenue we would make would be about $390,000 (15,600 x 25) in the net profit of $302,000.

At Gampel Arena we, essentially, keep our profit so 10,000 seats at $25 per seat comes out to $263,500, but at Gampel we also get parking in concessions revenue. Figure north and south garages park roughly 3000 each and add an event cost of five dollars per car that’s an additional $30,000. So revenue before concessions would be equal to $292,500 before concessions.

Thus, if we make $9,500 per game in concessions, and I have no figures whatsoever on what we do in concessions, then a sold out game at Gampel makes the school as much money as a sold out game at the XL Center, notwithstanding the differences in capacity.

Said differently a sold out game at the XL Center makes us less than $10,000 more than a sold out game at home, before any profit we make on concessions

This does not include seat license fees. I don’t have that information readily available. It also doesn’t include the relatively nominal costs to open up and staff Gampel. On the other hand, it also doesn’t include the costs of transportation to Hartford, accommodations in Hartford, if we’re still doing that, and meals in Hartford. But the big take away from all of this is that playing at the XL center is not a windfall for us in any way shape or form. In the analysis above was under the best possible circumstances, a complete sell out of the facility. If we’re not selling it out, we’re losing money

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ugh, that model needs to be rethought. I was hoping once the hockey arena was finished UConn would be in a better position to renegotiate the deal. I wrote about it one time on the basketball board, but at best playing in a pack to XL would be only slightly more breakeven to playing in a full Gampel. The deal gets worse if it’s not a sell out.

Don’t get me wrong, the XL is actually a good venue to see Connecticut hockey and I’ve enjoyed the games that I’ve gone to there, but the CDRA has an absolutely predatory attitude regarding uconn. In essence they transfer a large portion of their operating losses to the athletic department, which makes it look like it is ineptly run.

Here’s that post:

I did a quick and dirty computation in another thread, but in essence, the rental for the XL center is $40,000 +3 dollars per seat. So it cost us about 88,000 for a full house. Assuming a cost of $25 per ticket the gross revenue we would make would be about $390,000 (15,600 x 25) in the net profit of $302,000.

At Gampel Arena we, essentially, keep our profit so 10,000 seats at $25 per seat comes out to $263,500, but at Gampel we also get parking in concessions revenue. Figure north and south garages park roughly 3000 each and add an event cost of five dollars per car that’s an additional $30,000. So revenue before concessions would be equal to $292,500 before concessions.

Thus, if we make $9,500 per game in concessions, and I have no figures whatsoever on what we do in concessions, then a sold out game at Gampel makes the school as much money as a sold out game at the XL Center, notwithstanding the differences in capacity.

Said differently a sold out game at the XL Center makes us less than $10,000 more than a sold out game at home, before any profit we make on concessions

This does not include seat license fees. I don’t have that information readily available. It also doesn’t include the relatively nominal costs to open up and staff Gampel. On the other hand, it also doesn’t include the costs of transportation to Hartford, accommodations in Hartford, if we’re still doing that, and meals in Hartford. But the big take away from all of this is that playing at the XL center is not a windfall for us in any way shape or form. In the analysis above was under the best possible circumstances, a complete sell out of the facility. If we’re not selling it out, we’re losing money

This thread is about the new hockey arena. Gampel does not enter into the conversation.

The new rink seats 2,600. Games at XL usually double or triple that. Redo your figures.

CL82

Reaction Score
This thread is about the new hockey arena. Gampel does not enter into the conversation.

The new rink seats 2,600. Games at XL usually double or triple that. Redo your figures.
Or… You could redo the figures, just saying.

I copied that post here just for what it’s worth so that people could understand the predatory relationship the CDRA has towards the university’s sports. It is ridiculous to have the State of Connecticut paying the University of Connecticut to pay the CDRA an above market lease rate so that it hides part of the CDRA’s ongoing multi million dollar deficit. At best, it’s an exercise in hiding in efficient government from public scrutiny. At worst, it’s an example of Connecticut politics where things that no longer makes sense get perpetuated without thought because “that’s the way we’ve always done things.”

But, I fully agree let’s not derail this thread on this subject matter.

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe they can fill it in with seats if demand warrants it.
Back in my day at UConn we didn’t need no fancy seats to watch a hockey game we had some bleachers and they were outdoors, because the rink was outdoors.
clint eastwood kids GIF

Kids today! Just so freaking soft, wanting seats and what not…

Reaction Score
Or they can fill the lounge area with actual seats and then have another lounge above it similar to XL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom