Hitting the gym. HARD! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hitting the gym. HARD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But my main point to that was:

What is the functional carry-over of farmers walks to success in basketball? It’s good for grip and loading individual shoulders for stability, but it’s really specific to strongman. I mean football players may like it just because they’re huge dudes moving huge other dudes constantly and it’s just part of their sport culture to move big weight around when they train. Big necks and traps aren’t anything to avoid per se; but again, I just don’t see the rationale of having a 19 year old basketball player doing shrugs.

Just having an honest back-and-forth, I like thinking and talking about this stuff
I was only talking about how they look and where they are carrying their muscle. I don't really know much about the carry-over but I'm a big proponent of lifting heavy and explosively, I think it's helpful for everything. It's the only way I've ever really gained strength and size...no injuries either.

I was just saying the way their traps and necks have gotten so much bigger looks like they are doing those kind of movements. Heavy shrugs make your traps bigger than anything and give you that big shoulder wide neck look, the traps can handle really heavy weight and respond to heavy weight. Martin, Jackson, and Akok could just be dominant genetically in this area. I don't do farmer's walks but I know they fry the same area. I would think they would help bball players for strength, endurance, and holding on to rebounds. I mean benching doesn't have any direct carry-over to basketball other than upper body strength and all the strength basketball coaches have their players benching.

I would imagine all this stuff carries over- strength, stabilization, less risk of injury. I would also imagine things like hex deadlifts and squats would have more direct translation to basketball.

Reaction Score
rehfeldt is a monster. Most teams got eaten alive physically by Cinci the last 5 years+, and we’re questioning this dude even 1%? Lol.

check his Instagram story...
He’s got group chats with the players checking in on the meals they’re eating and daily water intake.

this is the biggest difference in what we are seeing physically with the players.

80% of training is the diet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Power Forward?

If Jackson can play 4 we could at times feature a lineup that has 4 plus passers: Cole, Gaffney, Bouknight, and Jackson.
On offense Jackson has a huge foot speed advantage over any 4 trying to guard him on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
August 2019
1602816566555.png

Post from today

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What are the odds this guy ends up as Joel Embiid 2.0 and is a top 2 pick in 4 years? Is it like 5000-1....500-1? Stranger things have happened (please focus on reading comprehension before jumping all over me for saying he IS the next Embiid)
Embiid was a 1 and done.

Reaction Score
It does, because embiid was special as a freshman, which directly impacts potential. Senior javonte has no chance of becoming embiid.
You’re telling me what is has to do with my question? Millennials

Reaction Score
Standard off season fare. It might mean something. It might mean nothing. Every off season every player supposedly hits the gym and is ready to come back with 20 more pounds of muscle, increased speed and strength and 3-4 extra inches of height ( the last one is a joke so don’t get your panties in a bunch). Based on reports of off season workouts it is always a surprise that we don’t have the 1996 Chicago Bulls out there.

Reaction Score
What are the odds this guy ends up as Joel Embiid 2.0 and is a top 2 pick in 4 years? Is it like 5000-1....500-1? Stranger things have happened (please focus on reading comprehension before jumping all over me for saying he IS the next Embiid)
probably closer to 50000000000-1

figured I'd add some color...

Centers who made the all star game this year and their HS rankings:
Davis - 1
Bam - 9
Embiid - 14

young stars
ayton - 4
jackson - 8
carter - 7

I would say he's got a much better opportunity to be a story like Wagner or Sabonis...a long shot from embiid 2.0

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
probably closer to 50000000000-1

figured I'd add some color...

Centers who made the all star game this year and their HS rankings:
Davis - 1
Bam - 9
Embiid - 14

young stars
ayton - 4
jackson - 8
carter - 7

I would say he's got a much better opportunity to be a story like Wagner or Sabonis...a long shot from embiid 2.0
Guess how many of those guys were 1 and done... lol

Reaction Score
Every year we read about how much better guys will be because of how hard they worked in the off season. But the reason everyone remembers Hilton Armstrong is because it is so rare to see anything other than marginal improvement year to year. Here is the thing, and I got this from a Hall of Famer so I trust it. Most players at this level are at their basketball peak when they arrive. You can focus them on things, especially defense which many have never played in high school or AAU. And they get physically stronger which you can assist with proper training. And you can refine technique on things like rebounding. But basically good shooters are good shooters coming in. Guys who rebound are already rebounders and shot blockers already know how to block shots. Improvement is generally at the margins.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Every year we read about how much better guys will be because of how hard they worked in the off season. But the reason everyone remembers Hilton Armstrong is because it is so rare to see anything other than marginal improvement year to year. Here is the thing, and I got this from a Hall of Famer so I trust it. Most players at this level are at their basketball peak when they arrive. You can focus them on things, especially defense which many have never played in high school or AAU. And they get physically stronger which you can assist with proper training. And you can refine technique on things like rebounding. But basically good shooters are good shooters coming in. Guys who rebound are already rebounders and shot blockers already know how to block shots. Improvement is generally at the margins.

Agree with most of this except shooting. Good shot blockers coming in to college don't turn in to poor shot blockers; good rebounders don't get bad at rebounding; good shooters rarely become bad at shooting. But there are plenty examples of players going from poor shooters to really good shooters. This goes for both FT shooting and outside shooting.

Reaction Score
Agree with most of this except shooting. Good shot blockers coming in to college don't turn in to poor shot blockers; good rebounders don't get bad at rebounding; good shooters rarely become bad at shooting. But there are plenty examples of players going from poor shooters to really good shooters. This goes for both FT shooting and outside shooting.
My two cents..Some guys come to college as scorers and not shooters.. High percentage FT shooting usually suggests the potential for high percentage FG shooting .. Yarders seem to think AJ needs work on his shooting form..His athleticsm allows him to score the rock almost at will in the open court/fast breaks.. Using AA as an example..Akok was frequently getting pushed off of his spot by stronger opponents prior to his injury..By getting stronger..I believe he will be able to get his shot in the spot he wants because he won't be able to be "muscled"off that spot by the defender.. AJ's form will not be an issue after he gets "coached up" by DH/staff..He's too smart and motivated not to figure it out..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A term DH has been using a lot with this team recently is having a sense of urgency... Looks like they're hearing the message..

Reaction Score

Sometimes these before and after pics are dudes with some muscle pump & they aren’t really “that big”.

Akok has legit been putting in the work. Dudes swole.

For the non IG users, scroll right to the 4th picture

Akok looks HUGE. Sweet Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member