Hitting the gym. HARD! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hitting the gym. HARD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Damn, what these guys are doing is so impressive. Scary team on the physical side, which we haven't been in a long long time.

Reaction Score
Even crazier is he did it while rehabbing from a knee surgery
Well no running is a perfect way to gain weight lmao

dudes stayed relatively lean though, which is most impressive. They are definitely eating like crazy, maybe still growing. Growing bones add more mass than you may think; and bone density is directly correlated with lifting

Reaction Score
Jeeeeez....
E1D32DB4-4CF1-4B06-9DC2-A765B39AF97F.jpeg

Reaction Score
This is actually the most impressive side-by-side so far
I’d say him and Jackson. Encouraged by Sanogo as well slimming down that much. Seems like a dude that just naturally carries a lot of weight, he’s a load. Haven’t had a guy like him in awhile.

Reaction Score
Rehfeldt must have these guys doing heavy cheat shrugs and farmer's walks.
I’m sure he’s got them lifting heavy, easier to do so when you don’t have to worry about games right now. The players were also in quarantine for months and likely didn’t have access to proper training prior to getting back to campus. So he was probably able to beef them up or slim them down quicker once they got back. Lots we don’t know... but it seems clear that the strength coach has these guys locked in and his history speaks well. Excited to see how it translates to the floor throughout the whole season.

Reaction Score
Rehfeldt must have these guys doing heavy cheat shrugs and farmer's walks.
Cleans and overhead stuff will build up your traps perfectly well; and we know the kids have had a healthy dose of Olympic lifts

It would be very odd for a SC coach to program shrugs and farmers walks for a basketball player, TBH

Reaction Score
Is that what just 12 extra pounds look like?

It is a much better representation than people thinking Andre started at 180 and gained 32 pounds.

Reaction Score
This is actually the most impressive side-by-side so far
Agreed. The other ones are all impressive but gaining 32/losing 26 makes the muscle gains obvious. 12 pounds is nothing to sneeze at but he looks noticeably different

Reaction Score
Cleans and overhead stuff will build up your traps perfectly well; and we know the kids have had a healthy dose of Olympic lifts

It would be very odd for a SC coach to program shrugs and farmers walks for a basketball player, TBH
They all had a healthy dose of Olympic lifts with the previous strength coach (would assume Tyrese Martin did too at URI) and they looked nothing like this, these kids blew up (necks and traps look practically double the size.) He's clearly got them doing some different stuff and the intensity is different. I don't know what they're doing and olympic lifts and overhead stuff will have an effect but in my experience nothing makes your traps and neck blow up like that like heavy shrugs do.

Reaction Score
They all had a healthy dose of Olympic lifts with the previous strength coach (would assume Tyrese Martin did too at URI) and they looked nothing like this, these kids blew up (necks and traps look practically double the size.) He's clearly got them doing some different stuff and the intensity is different. I don't know what they're doing and olympic lifts and overhead stuff will have an effect but in my experience nothing makes your traps and neck blow up like that like heavy shrugs do.
But my main point to that was:

What is the functional carry-over of farmers walks to success in basketball? It’s good for grip and loading individual shoulders for stability, but it’s really specific to strongman. I mean football players may like it just because they’re huge dudes moving huge other dudes constantly and it’s just part of their sport culture to move big weight around when they train. Big necks and traps aren’t anything to avoid per se; but again, I just don’t see the rationale of having a 19 year old basketball player doing shrugs.

Just having an honest back-and-forth, I like thinking and talking about this stuff

Reaction Score
But my main point to that was:

What is the functional carry-over of farmers walks to success in basketball? It’s good for grip and loading individual shoulders for stability, but it’s really specific to strongman. I mean football players may like it just because they’re huge dudes moving huge other dudes constantly and it’s just part of their sport culture to move big weight around when they train. Big necks and traps aren’t anything to avoid per se; but again, I just don’t see the rationale of having a 19 year old basketball player doing shrugs.

Just having an honest back-and-forth, I like thinking and talking about this stuff

I’ve seen pictures of LeBron doing farmer walks so I wouldn’t be surprised if these guys are doing them too. Plenty of functionality in terms of grip strength, posture, core, legs, cardio etc. It’d be cool to get a closer look at exactly what they’re doing. I’m sure he mixes it up a lot and caters programs to each specific player. Given his track record and results previously, seems like we’ve got a great S & C coach. Excited to see where this part of the program goes from here.

Reaction Score
I’m curious to see if the added bulk will slow these guys down. Also it will be interesting to see how well conditioned the team is. Although with a team this deep I don’t see many players outside of Bouk getting more than 30 mins a night.

Reaction Score
The muscles are great and all but did anyone notice the uniforms on that link? Those are not the ones we`ve been shown. Those have a red stripe down the side with UCONN in blue with a grey trim. Alternate maybe? The blue lettering with grey trim looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom