Highlight of the night? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Highlight of the night?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Wasn't that a different play as the Freshie sent the ball way out of bounds and it wouldn't be still in the picture?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Found this picture on an ND site, of all places. It sort of describes her game last night.

5c04703d60458.image.jpg

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Did anyone else enjoy this moment?
View attachment 37000

Oh what a joyous play. Best play of the game and on Mabrey!

Liv is going to be a factor this season - maybe a major factor. She was not intimidated by the setting. She mixed it up under the boards. She's got soft hands to catch the ball and her foot work is not bad. She will build on this game!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Don't always believe picture captions. On the second page of the sports section of the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the description of that picture stated that Nelson and Mabrey were jockeying for position.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Olivia looks better every game. You could sense her tuning in to Christyn's vibe against ND. She could be extraordinary by the end of the season if she continues this game-to-game improvement. I like her shooting touch with either hand in close. Definitely her air ball on her first free throw - it was right on line, good rotation, just a yard short - was a light, non-damaging freshman twitch everyone appreciated. I'm glad Geno isn't getting hung up on her foul totals because she needs a free rein.

The raw talent and skill are already there. It just needs to be honed and polished. She has to learn the nuances of playing at this level. That will come. Sooner if Geno is true to his word (in his post game presser yesterday) saying" she will definitely get more playing time. If she can look and play that well against the best team they will play all year for an extended period of time (out of necessity), why can't she play well against the rest of the teams they'll play? Every time she takes the floor this year, it will be a learning experience.

Beginning with the Billikens of Saint Louis tomorrow night, UConn has 23 games left in the regular season. More than enough time to get a firm grasp of the system, and to hone the skills she'll need to help UConn in the post season.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"To register a successful blocked shot, you must primarily hit the ball If there is incidental contact between the shot blocker and the shooter after the block, then the referee will not call a foul. That contact must come as the player is in the downward portion of the jump."
Obviously you have provided evidence of incidental contact in the downward portion of the jump. :D
1543889321166.png

Reaction Score
World of difference between Frosh Meg and Soph Meg. She put in a ton of work over the off season. I am so happy for her.
Walker was my #3 star of the game with her dirty work, particularly Turner. Great rebounding, clutch shots and defense that was barely mentioned on this blog.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I don't know whether UConn was in the bonus when KLS hit the shot over Turner and if they were UConn should have gotten two more shots as the foul came after the shot. If they were not in the bonus, then UConn should have gotten the ball.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
What's truly amazing is that beginning of the end for Notre Dame was when Olivia had to come in for Napheesa. It was with ONO on the floor that UConn gained comfortable scoreboard separation in crunch time.
Maybe that will provide a little motivation for Pheesa. :D

Reaction Score
Two observations about ONO's block. First, she came from the weak side. She was keeping her eye on where the ball was and moved quickly to deny the shot. And second, after the block she took off running down the court. When CW made her shot at the other end, ONO was under the basket. Great display of UConn basketball. If she keeps doing this she will see a lot of time on the court.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Top 5 plays. Notice the background music. A little shade thrown the Irish's way.

Play #5 shows Napheesa's length and some real athleticism from Christyn. She goes vertical for the tip, then beats everyone down the floor. When she explodes to the basket with her arm extension, she reminds me of a former Husky:

5bb783673c000020010d9221.jpeg

Carnac

Reaction Score
World of difference between Frosh Meg and Soph Meg. She put in a ton of work over the off season. I am so happy for her.

Would you believe me if I said I told you so? Too many people had unrealistic expectations for Megan last year. Most were not willing to give her the time most freshmen need to assimilate into Geno’s program.

She tried very hard. Some days were better than others. How many times does Geno have to tell us/remind us that it takes most freshmen a year to completely learn, understand and be able to play in his system without being out of position or being lost?

When you think of all the freshmen that have come through his program, and realize that only a scant few got it very quickly, one realizes that it’s rare for any freshman to adapt quickly and be able to be successful consistently night in and night out.

The difference we see in Megan this year from last year, is the difference we’ll see in ONO next year. Christyn is one of the rare ones (out of necessity) that appears to have adapted quickly. Like Kia Nurse, she’ll be a four year starter.

Let’s give ONO the time she needs to develop and understand the system. She’s working with her coaches and teammates everyday to learn and understand the game the way Geno wants it played. She will learn and adapt. The game will slow down for her, and she’ll get over the freshman jitters she’s experiencing. Soon, she’ll no longer miss those put backs she’s missing now.

Because of Geno’s opinions about freshmen, I follow his lead, and don’t expect much if anything that first year. Whatever we get from them is gravy. I trust we won’t recognize Liv next fall. She will have added on some muscle, and she’ll know what she’s doing.

Let’s just root and cheer for them this season as they go through their freshman growing pains. A poster recently said the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. I agree. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Olivia grew immensely in the ND game. She will be great one day. First; she has to come a bit more under control. She is missing too many put-back opportunities. She also should have taken that open three....but her freshman jitters, and the ND game environment, said "no." I think she has a very smooth shot, once confident. The air ball on the foul shot might have spooked her....although a ND player did the same thing late in the game. We are fortunate to have her at UCONN.

Very good post LTF. Great observations. :cool:

Reaction Score
I am hoping that Geno has something up his sleeve in regards to 19. There may be some good ones out there.......if there are any......he will find them. Maybe overseas.

Reaction Score
According to the play by play in the box score link Lou didn't get credit for the rebound and assist on this play(last minute of first quarter). Has to be the fastest rebound and assist in history.[/QUOTE]
saw that play during game and thought it was a "convenient bounce" but watching replay I saw that Lou intentionally tipped the rebound to Phe who then put it in for 2. GREAT TEAM Play... exceptional split second thinking and kinda POY Like IMHO

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
According to the play by play in the box score link Lou didn't get credit for the rebound and assist on this play(last minute of first quarter). Has to be the fastest rebound and assist in history.
saw that play during game and thought it was a "convenient bounce" but watching replay I saw that Lou intentionally tipped the rebound to Phe who then put it in for 2. GREAT TEAM Play... exceptional split second thinking and kinda POY Like IMHO[/QUOTE]
KLS also made an impressive bullet pass to Megan with her left hand for an easy layup. It happened so fast I had to replay it to see if it was her left hand but then one announcer said it was a left handed pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom