Reaction Score
Did anyone else enjoy this moment?
48A71141-74FC-4690-8A28-7DA02F52C2C6.jpeg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is that true? Doesnt seem right to me.
I should say, "not necessarily a foul."

If the defender makes contact with the shooter after blocking the shot (i.e., while the shooter no longer possesses the ball), the contact is judged differently because it's a loose ball situation.

If the defender makes the same contact prior or simultaneously to blocking the shot, totally different situation.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Is that true? Doesnt seem right to me.
I found the following on an NBA-oriented site, but I believe the principle is the same:

Q: If a defender blocks the shot first and then makes incidental contact with the shooter, is that still a foul? And does making contact with the shooter's hand versus arm make a difference? -- submitted by Oliver
A: According to Rule No. 12B, Section I -- e, "Contact which occurs on the hand of the offensive player, while that hand is in contact with the ball, is legal." Therefore, if a defender blocks the offensive player's shot and makes incidental contact with his hand, it is not a foul. Incidental contact with a shooter's arm after a blocked shot is also legal provided that the contact is not overly physical.​

Ask Donnie: Q&A with NBA Director of Officials Don Vaden

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I should say, "not necessarily a foul."

If the defender makes contact with the shooter after blocking the shot (i.e., while the shooter no longer possesses the ball), the contact is judged differently because it's a loose ball situation.

If the defender makes the same contact prior or simultaneously to blocking the shot, totally different situation.
Bottom line: On a play like that (after the block) a foul is seldom called.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Did anyone else enjoy this moment?
View attachment 37000

This play shows Liv’s grit. She’s still learning, but she’s not afraid, and not backing down. If you challenge her, she’ll respond.

One interesting fact that went completely unnoticed. ONO and Christyn were the youngest players on the court. ONO was often matched up with Brianna Turner who is a 5th year senior, and probably the oldest person in the game. Turner has already turned 22. ONO held her own, and did her job for the 16 minutes she was in the game. UConn extended its lead while ONO was on the floor.

Geno said in his post game presser that he was very impressed with her play, and that she’s going to get a lot more playing time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Olivia looks better every game. You could sense her tuning in to Christyn's vibe against ND. She could be extraordinary by the end of the season if she continues this game-to-game improvement. I like her shooting touch with either hand in close. Definitely her air ball on her first free throw - it was right on line, good rotation, just a yard short - was a light, non-damaging freshman twitch everyone appreciated. I'm glad Geno isn't getting hung up on her foul totals because she needs a free rein.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Olivia looks better every game. You could sense her tuning in to Christyn's vibe against ND. She could be extraordinary by the end of the season if she continues this game-to-game improvement. I like her shooting touch with either hand in close. Definitely her air ball on her first free throw - it was right on line, good rotation, just a yard short - was a light, non-damaging freshman twitch everyone appreciated. I'm glad Geno isn't getting hung up on her foul totals because she needs a free rein.
I think yesterday was her best game. She will get even better with playing time. However yesterday, with Napheesa on the bench, Geno had no choice but to let her play with the fouls. I hope he continues to let her play , and the staff continues to teach her not to foul. :)

Reaction Score
It was a clean block! Just had a little emphasis to it! Like these unnecessary, but necessary exclamation points! Lol

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Megan gave Mabrey the Asjha Jones treatment, grabbing a rebound and sticking her butt out to clear some space. Meg is too strong for her and Mabrey ended up on the floor, waiting for a foul call that never came.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
For me, the most exciting single moment of the game. Dynamic powerful block by a freshman against the opposing fan's most beloved whining trash talker. Second was the other freshman's two fisted scoring celebration while receiving an excessive foul from the opposing rock star.

Both plays said 'You can't stop me now!!!'

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Megan gave Mabrey the Asjha Jones treatment, grabbing a rebound and sticking her butt out to clear some space. Meg is too strong for her and Mabrey ended up on the floor, waiting for a foul call that never came.
World of difference between Frosh Meg and Soph Meg. She put in a ton of work over the off season. I am so happy for her.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She also pushed her arm away from her with force. Megan is going to be very tough.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I found the following on an NBA-oriented site, but I believe the principle is the same:

Q: If a defender blocks the shot first and then makes incidental contact with the shooter, is that still a foul? And does making contact with the shooter's hand versus arm make a difference? -- submitted by Oliver
A: According to Rule No. 12B, Section I -- e, "Contact which occurs on the hand of the offensive player, while that hand is in contact with the ball, is legal." Therefore, if a defender blocks the offensive player's shot and makes incidental contact with his hand, it is not a foul. Incidental contact with a shooter's arm after a blocked shot is also legal provided that the contact is not overly physical.​

Ask Donnie: Q&A with NBA Director of Officials Don Vaden
College and NBA rules may differ in regards to the same kind of play.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think yesterday was her best game. She will get even better with playing time. However yesterday, with Napheesa on the bench, Geno had no choice but to let her play with the fouls. I hope he continues to let her play , and the staff continues to teach her not to foul. :)
What's truly amazing is that beginning of the end for Notre Dame was when Olivia had to come in for Napheesa. It was with ONO on the floor that UConn gained comfortable scoreboard separation in crunch time.

Reaction Score
Olivia grew immensely in the ND game. She will be great one day. First; she has to come a bit more under control. She is missing too many put-back opportunities. She also should have taken that open three....but her freshman jitters, and the ND game environment, said "no." I think she has a very smooth shot, once confident. The air ball on the foul shot might have spooked her....although a ND player did the same thing late in the game. We are fortunate to have her at UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom