High Point Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

High Point Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No, it was the right ankle this time, last time it was the left.
I’m pretty sure It was the right ankle both times. Last time Nika was on a 2 on 1 fast break with Paige. Nika was on the left with Paige on the right. The defender slid over to cut off Nika who stepped on the defender with her right foot.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I doubt that anyone at UConn gives it a second thought.
Well, Stewie in the UConn undefeated show expressed annoyance at the decision and how sweet it was to beat them in the finals that year. She said (with a big smile) that if Coach Q had scheduled them, he may have seen them and it might have helped him prepare better.

Not saying it affects anyone now but Syracuse escape to the ACC etc, this would be sweet.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I could just hear Geno screaming at the tv, Defense!
CD did not feel the defense was a big issue. Any team that hoists to 30 feet and shows they can make enough distorts the defense a bit. And she jokes when she coaches, kids on the other team are always banking in threes. I just wish we had a little more experience with big teams entering Syracuse . I will be curious to see if Syracuse thinks they can press us.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
CDwas screaming don't foul don't foul. We were in trouble with Nika hurt and a couple of others in foul trouble. So the results were layups and open shots. At that point the game was over. Against Cuse in Olivia needs a better angle when spinning down low. I thought we played within ourselves. Some lapses and that happens with a young team with a big lead. All of you talking about height. Cuse has 6'6 Cardoza. We will see how that works out. I wanna see Olivia down low and not more then 10 ft from the basket. That will help opponents from getting inside.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
CD did not feel the defense was a big issue. Any team that hoists to 30 feet and shows they can make enough distorts the defense a bit. And she jokes when she coaches, kids on the other team are always banking in threes. I just wish we had a little more experience with big teams entering Syracuse . I will be curious to see if Syracuse thinks they can press us.
Syracuse is prone to turn the ball over. I am curious to see if UConn presses them.

Reaction Score
Of course, I was pleased with the game, they won. I also was surprised how hard that High Point played and that they could sink 3's as far away from Mars. I was also pleased that they won convincingly. Now they have to prepare for a different team, Syracuse. They are going to have to apply a stronger defense.

I was hoping that this game would have no injuries and unfortunately, Nika turned her ankle. She is a strong person, and I expect that she will bounce back.

Reaction Score
She moved her knee into her as she went by. They have called that all year on her. My whole life playing and Coaching that is a foul. I said if you go wide and move you knee into the player. You ever play the game? You ever coach? Learn the game!
I agree. I thought Edwards hooked her with her knee. That was a foul. The other calls the refs made, well....

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure It was the right ankle both times. Last time Nika was on a 2 on 1 fast break with Paige. Nika was on the left with Paige on the right. The defender slid over to cut off Nika who stepped on the defender with her right foot.
Different ankles. Confirmed on Twitter by two different people (Alexa/Doug bonjour)

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I wasn't thrilled with Olivia's game in the first half...got better as the game went on.
Took passes at the high post with no one within 10 feet of her and moved laterally...
Wrong....Better after she was reminded.
How many lay-ups did she miss 6, 7...I lost count...unacceptable...but was better and more aggressive later.
Looking at Liv's footwork and close-shooting form. Her repertoire of moves is quite limited and predictable, and most often she takes big, flat-footed steps that do not permit her to gather herself and launch upward as she shoots. Contrast that to Alijah's footwork and lift as she shoots. I'm not surprised that her made- shot percentage is higher than Liv's.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
South Carolina and Tennessee were both big and both are much better teams than Syracuse.

High Point shot 34 threes, making 9 of them (26.5%), some of them were prayers and more than a couple were from 3-4 feet beyond the arc. The defense was fine.

Reaction Score
??Neither NC State nor SCar looked particularly impressive against two not very good teams. Both Baylor and UConn have. Hopefully Stanford will too. I suspect so. Not much to say after this one. UConn pressed them well on the perimeter and was beaten off the dribble much too much. That is, once Nika was hurt. My prayers go out to her and hopefully she'll be back after UConn crushes Syracuse. Evina was rubbing her right leg at the beginning of the game, but she played well, although she was beaten consistently off the dribble. AE. I said in the chat she occasionally looks like Wes Unseld then occasionally like Dennis Rodman. AE is the new Beast Mode. Once Nika and CW were sidelined Paige took over. Paige is a scary player. But lets be honest, I've never quite seen a player be so churlish when she sits, which is hardly ever. CW and Liv had good games. Now on to 'Cuse. I guess Quentin can't duck UConn now huh?
Churlish?
The same beloved young kid that was star struck over Holly Rowe called churlish?
But after you pointed it out she did fit the description :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not too many highlight reel moments in this one. Just a very efficient dismantling of a decent team that was overmatched in size. I hope Nika is ok. That poor girl's ligaments in her ankles are going to be like spaghetti if she keeps rolling them.

They will need to adjust to the refs. That's the most fouls called against them in some time.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking as well (right).

Reaction Score
CDwas screaming don't foul don't foul. We were in trouble with Nika hurt and a couple of others in foul trouble. So the results were layups and open shots. At that point the game was over. Against Cuse in Olivia needs a better angle when spinning down low. I thought we played within ourselves. Some lapses and that happens with a young team with a big lead. All of you talking about height. Cuse has 6'6 Cardoza. We will see how that works out. I wanna see Olivia down low and not more then 10 ft from the basket. That will help opponents from getting inside.

I'm sure the kids miss the crowds, but I really enjoy being able to hear the coaches. Especially when Geno is screaming "hands, hands, hands," when I'm thinking "put your hands up".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking as well (right).
I had to go back and look at the video to be certain. Evidently, I was incorrect. The original injury took place in the BE tournament quarterfinals vs St John’s, and it was to her left ankle. The good news is that Nika was back again the next day in the starting lineup vs Villanova.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nika appeared to be moving around okay at the end. Don't bet against her taking the floor against Syracuse.
Nika seemed a lot more upset with this injury. If she makes it back for tuesday I won't know what to think. Does she have a high tolerance for pain or a low tolerance for pain? LOL. Even if she may think she is ready, she should sit for the Syracuse game. Do you think CD will make that decision, or will Geno impose his will?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am going to have to watch the replay on this, but live it seemed to happen.
During a break in the action (3rd quarter I believe), Evina, Paige and Christyn were diagramming a play that included some kind of spin around (based on the hand gestures). Soon after the stoppage, the Huskies ran the play (Evina passed to Paige and then a pass to CW, after she did a spin type move). CW knocked it down. It was a pretty sight to see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom