High Point Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

High Point Postgame Thread

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yes, very low energy. Considering how weak High Point is, the defense was atrocious. If UConn plays defense like that for a couple more rounds, they will be heading home. Hopefully Geno's return can push them to not mail it in at that end.
Jesus!! What did you want? 135 - 25 score? And 7 players dead on their feet?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Seemed like a low energy game to me. Oh well, survive and advance, baybeeee!
It seems they have played like that all season after a week long break. I think the defense will be a lot tighter Tuesday. As with other UConn opponents, High Point hit some closely guarded threes.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Question: Did Nika injure the same ankle that she injured during the season? I don't remember the previous injury at that level of detail.

Comment on the offensive foul calls on Aaliyah: I think this is the same situation as the similar calls that were made on UConn screens in the South Carolina game. Even a slight movement of the hips or shoulders while you are screening is properly a moving screen foul. And it was established after the SC game that being in a stance where your feet are wider than your shoulders is also a foul per the literal rules. So this ref was just making those calls. If he does it consistently, I don't think he can be faulted.

Aaliyah just needs to remember that she must be as still as a statue when she is screening to avoid these calls (and keep her feet closer together). Even if the defender gets around her screen, it probably won't ruin the effect of the screen.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't recognize any of the refs. I wonder if they were from one of the non- power conferences. With 32 games over 2 days, they must dig deep for officiating crews. So many touch fouls & erratic moving screen calls both ways. LOL...They even got an earful from Chris Dailey.
And the coaches fill out reviews after each game I believe - those with the best scores move on to the second 'weekend'. Doubt we will see this group another weekend.

Reaction Score
Question: Did Nika injure the same ankle that she injured during the season? I don't remember the previous injury at that level of detail.

Comment on the offensive foul calls on Aaliyah: I think this is the same situation as the similar calls that were made on UConn screens in the South Carolina game. Even a slight movement of the hips or shoulders while you are screening is properly a moving screen foul. And it was established after the SC game that being in a stance where your feet are wider than your shoulders is also a foul per the literal rules. So this ref was just making those calls. If he does it consistently, I don't think he can be faulted.

Aaliyah just needs to remember that she must be as still as a statue when she is screening to avoid these calls (and keep her feet closer together). Even if the defender gets around her screen, it probably won't ruin the effect of the screen.
I agree, but UCONN has played 26 games & only 2 officials called that screen foul. After the SC game, Geno ridiculed the ref's explanation. If 99% of the officials don't call it, then it is difficult to anticipate the foul call.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Paige just turns it on at will
AAliyah is relentless, and almost automatic down low
Olivia is not automatic down low, and that concerns me against stronger competition
Evina was steady, and played good defense
Anna was solid, but has to shoot the ball when she is open ( I believe CD was yelling that at her during a 4th A time out.)
Christyn looked out of sorts at times.
Aubry had some nice flashes
Feel bad for Nika, was it the same ankle?
Too many defensive lapses
High Point was chucking them up from downtown San Antonio, the banks are open at night!
No, it was the right ankle this time, last time it was the left.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The screen calls are not 'moving' they are on the width of her feet. I only remember seeing this call this year and on Edwards - she isn't moving. She does take a wide stance and it is supposed to be shoulder width - but first year they are calling it.

Reaction Score
Few thoughts on the game:
a. The refs were BAD as in ridiculous
b. ONO should have scored 30+ in this game...i just don't understand how a player at her level can miss so many lay-ups
c. There is a point in a game where Paige decided to change gears and start scoring and there is nothing the other team can do about it. A truly generational player!
d. AE is a monster! her " this rebound is mine" is amazing. For some of those rebounds she started so far from the basket and maneuvered her way to catch he rebound. Wow
e. Evina was solid...contributing as usual in many faces of the game.
f. It seemed that CW fouls played a role in her seeming MIA at times.
g. The 3 point defense was at time poor. It seemed HP got way too many open 3's.
h. UConn will need to paly better against Syracuse and i fully expect they will.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't see low energy. A five out offense is a pain to defense because it is almost impossible to provide help defense. And if the banked threes don't go in ...

It is a forty point win, and we are on to the second round.

Reaction Score
Edwards screen was wider than her shoulders by a lot. When you screen like that and move you knee into the player you set the screen on for the most part refs will call that.
Must be a wcbb point of note for refs... saw a lot of wide screens in the mens games.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the High Point game:
  • First time I ever watched High Point. While they were undermanned, I was really impressed with how hard they played and how well they executed all game against UConn in their first ever trip to the Big Dance.
  • UConn’s defense was just fair tonight, but some of that had to do with the relentless action that High Point runs on offense.
  • Nika with another unfortunate ankle sprain after stepping on an opponent’s foot. You hate to see that. Let’s hope her recovery is every bit as quick as the last time.
  • Aaliyah is a beast in the paint. I don’t like the fouls, but to High Point’s credit, they caught her in a switch a couple times and went right at her.
  • Paige with a quietly brilliant 1st NCAA tournament game: 24 pts on 9/13, 9 rbs, 6 ast, 4 stl, 3 blk. I'm fairly certain that the best is yet to come.
  • Nice balanced scoring on 59% shooting: Paige (24), Liv (22), Aaliyah (17), Christyn (13), Evina (10), Aubrey (9).
  • CD maintains her unbeaten streak at 11-0. Next up are the Syracuse Orange, a team that will be a little more challenging than the High Point Panthers.
Regarding Syracuse, is there any lingering animosity over Orange HC Quentin Hillsman's refusal to grant Stewie a homecoming game or was that frustration satisfied with UConn's thrashing of Syracuse in the title game?

Reaction Score
A friend stopped by during the 2nd period, so I missed the bulk of the game.... caught the latter part of the 4th quarter. The margin of defeat wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. No shame in losing to the #1 team in the country. Proud that My Panthers battled to the end.

We only lose 2 seniors..... return probably 98% of our offense. Looking forward to seeing this team play in person next season.... we do need some size though.

View attachment 66154
Why the hell did you answer the doorbell?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it low energy - more a workwomanlike 43 point winning margin. Too many missed chippies for sure. My biggest take away is that High Point is a pretty good team. It bodes well for women's bball that the High Points of the world have good players. Not so long ago 16 seeds had a hard time getting the ball past the half court line and getting a shot up against the one seeds.
Yes. I don't know if you saw the SCar/Mercer game, but Mercer was decently competitive throughout.

Reaction Score
A dominating win against a team that plays a very extreme style. Paige was spectacular. E was very good. Our Bigs capitalized on their side advantage. With that being said, here's my question. When you have a starter already out with a sprained ankle AND you have a 40+ point lead, why are Paige and Christyn on the floor late? Why risk an inadvertent twisted ankle or something perhaps even worse? What's wrong with 5 minutes of Anna, Saylor, Autumn, Mir and Piath? Is Autumn hurt? You can't get her in the floor at all? There was a time that we saw tons of Tierney Lawlor, et all. That has not been the practice for this year. Any thoughts on why?

Reaction Score
Maybe their low energy cited by some was also due to the lack of nourishing food choices and adequate exercise equipment or so I’ve heard. ?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She didn’t. The women’s refs are watching the NBA too much. All the shooter has to do is fall down, either on a 3 or a drive and they’ll call a foul.
Ok, all of the people that think Aaliyah's foul was phantom, need to watch it again as the replay shows her right hand hit the shooters right hand as she came flying across and then Aaliyah crashed into Christyn. It was a legitimate foul that the shooter did embellish a bit but she was hit.

On the screen that Aaliyah tried to set for Paige she did keep moving to her right and hit the girl, and again the girl did embellish a bit but she was hit with a moving screen. And @jaydee602 this team has been called for more that 2 moving screens this year. Heck in one of the national games, they got called for 3.

They played well tonight against a high scoring team, defense was ok. As noted no one looked like their "peak selves" due to the uniqueness of the situation. Just enjoy the ride.

Bring Q and the 'Cuse!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom