High Point Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

High Point Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Yes, very low energy. Considering how weak High Point is, the defense was atrocious. If UConn plays defense like that for a couple more rounds, they will be heading home. Hopefully Geno's return can push them to not mail it in at that end.
UCONN held High Point under 60 points and only 25 points in the 1st half. That is hardly atrocious. There were a few lapses, but the game was called very tightly & that negated UCONN's stifling defense.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the High Point game:
  • First time I ever watched High Point. While they were undermanned, I was really impressed with how hard they played and how well they executed all game against UConn in their first ever trip to the Big Dance.
  • UConn’s defense was just fair tonight, but some of that had to do with the relentless action that High Point runs on offense.
  • Nika with another unfortunate ankle sprain after stepping on an opponent’s foot. You hate to see that. Let’s hope her recovery is every bit as quick as the last time.
  • Aaliyah is a beast in the paint. I don’t like the fouls, but to High Point’s credit, they caught her in a switch a couple times and w right at her.
  • Paige with a quietly brilliant 1st NCAA tournament game: 24 pts on 9/13, 9 rbs, 6 ast, 4 stl, 3 blk. I'm fairly certain that the best is yet to come.
  • Nice balanced scoring on 59% shooting: Paige (24), Liv (22), Aaliyah (17), Christyn (13), Evina (10), Aubrey (9).
  • CD maintains her unbeaten streak at 11-0. Next up are the Syracuse Orange, a team that will be a little more challenging than the High Point Panthers.
Beautiful post, as always!
I'm having an old man, stodgy moment: Those 30 foot 3 point attempts is not basketball. Not sure what sport it is. There should not be a reward for it. Give them one point. Like cheering Happy Gilmore to win the US Open.
Hard to believe we played the game without a 3-point line. Still believe it was a better game. Sorry, off to yell at the kid next door.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it low energy - more a workwomanlike 43 point winning margin. Too many missed chippies for sure. My biggest take away is that High Point is a pretty good team. It bodes well for women's bball that the High Points of the world have good players. Not so long ago 16 seeds had a hard time getting the ball past the half court line and getting a shot up against the one seeds.

Reaction Score
Beautiful post, as always!
I'm having an old man, stodgy moment: Those 30 foot 3 point attempts is not basketball. Not sure what sport it is. There should not be a reward for it. Give them one point. Like cheering Happy Gilmore to win the US Open.
Hard to believe we played the game without a 3-point line. Still believe it was a better game. Sorry, off to yell at the kid next door.
I much prefer 3 pointers to dunks.

Reaction Score
Hard to complain about that one ref after a big win but he was awful,
with his phantom touch calls.
I didn't recognize any of the refs. I wonder if they were from one of the non- power conferences. With 32 games over 2 days, they must dig deep for officiating crews. So many touch fouls & erratic moving screen calls both ways. LOL...They even got an earful from Chris Dailey.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree with everyone. Offense was cooking until the end. Defense was suspect. Seemed low energy until around the beginning of the 4th where I thought they turned it up for a few minutes.
The refs made awful calls on High Point too. It was hard for the teams to get into a flow

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I have never coached BB, I know that our staff is the GOAT, I am not criticizing (just a question) and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so why is it when the opponents tallest player is 6'1 and Aaliyah and Liv are in the game, that they both aren't posted under the basket on each side of the lane and we just lob one of them the ball on every possession, for easy layups? If they get double or triple teamed, pass it to an open player for their shot?

It was a good game and I also agree we lost something when Nika was injured and it seemed to me that for part of the 3rd quarter, Paige wasn't shooting the ball. I will have to watch the replay tomorrow to see if that was true.

Reaction Score
I have never coached BB, I know that our staff is the GOAT, I am not criticizing (just a question) and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so why is it when the opponents tallest player is 6'1 and Aaliyah and Liv are in the game, that they both aren't posted under the basket on each side of the lane and we just lob one of them the ball on every possession, for easy layups? If they get double or triple teamed, pass it to an open player for their shot?

It was a good game and I also agree we lost something when Nika was injured and it seemed to me that for part of the 3rd quarter, Paige wasn't shooting the ball. I will have to watch the replay tomorrow to see if that was true.
The double low post offense is never a good look. High-low is much more effective.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was one point in the fourth quarter when Paige led the team in points, rebounds and assists. It is also evident that Alijah us the second best player in the team. She is incredibly relentless on both sides of the court.
Well she led the team at the final buzzer in points, assists, steals and blocks and if CD had let her play her assigned minutes I bet she would have gotten a few of those rebounds from Edwards at the end, it is just so unfair! :p

Reaction Score
Edwards screen was wider than her shoulders by a lot. When you screen like that and move you knee into the player you set the screen on for the most part refs will call that.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I didn't get the low energy signal on my TV box
but, yes, the defense was a little lazy and
High Point was quick and the opposite of timid.

Elvina played a solid game and few (hardly any) winces after athletic plays.

Two of Aaliyah's offensive fouls were over-indulgent screens...no need for that.
We wouldn't be speaking of the other two bad(?) calls if she hadn't committed those.
But she sure is a beast.

I wasn't thrilled with Olivia's game in the first half...got better as the game went on.
Took passes at the high post with no one within 10 feet of her and moved laterally...
Wrong....Better after she was reminded.
How many lay-ups did she miss 6, 7...I lost count...unacceptable...but was better and more aggressive later.

Christyn had those fouls, which limited her playing time...but was fine when she played...

Paige was Paige...whenever the team require some life or a hoop, she provided it.
Pretty amazing young woman.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A friend stopped by during the 2nd period, so I missed the bulk of the game.... caught the latter part of the 4th quarter. The margin of defeat wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. No shame in losing to the #1 team in the country. Proud that My Panthers battled to the end.

We only lose 2 seniors..... return probably 98% of our offense. Looking forward to seeing this team play in person next season.... we do need some size though.

pan.jpg

Reaction Score
Paige just turns it on at will
AAliyah is relentless, and almost automatic down low
Olivia is not automatic down low, and that concerns me against stronger competition
Evina was steady, and played good defense
Anna was solid, but has to shoot the ball when she is open ( I believe CD was yelling that at her during a 4th A time out.)
Christyn looked out of sorts at times.
Aubry had some nice flashes
Feel bad for Nika, was it the same ankle?
Too many defensive lapses
High Point was chucking them up from downtown San Antonio, the banks are open at night!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I hadn't heard the story about Saylor losing her brother when he was 4 on this date in 2010. And the tribute she pays to him with her uniform number. Very touching. I'm glad they mentioned that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn’t think she even touched the three point shooter.
She didn't - the younger dark haired ref saw two Huskies crash into each other and at first called a blocking foul on Williams (would have been #4), then changed it to a charging call on Edwards. I think the older sideline guy explained that they couldn't call a Husky on Husky harm, so they switched it to three foul shots for the HP player. That was just really bad. Otherwise, it was a lot of ticky tack calls on Uconn and the standard BS too wide a stance fouls on Edward screens.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Yes, horrible calls. Same ref. Middle aged dude on the bench side line. He was AWFUL. Even CD started barking at him. I mean, he was worse than awful.
Absolutely agree regarding the officiating. Wrote to my "Cuse loving son-in-law that this was one of the very few games this season that I didn't like how the referees were calling the game. More than other games they interfered with the flow of action for largely inconsequential touch fouls.

On a side note - I don't recall one traveling violation for either team. Anyone else note this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom