High bball IQ | The Boneyard

High bball IQ

Reaction Score
Im a big fan of smart high iq basketball. Pete carrill, court vision, backdoor cuts, making right pass. instinctually knowing where to be on D...A Heady basketball intangible to have, that can't really be taught

I think this years starting lineup will perhaps have 4 players i put in that rare classification. Which is unheard of

Made me think of list of uconn players who i think TRULY had this quality

Nadav
Sheffer
Marcus williams
Karl hobbs
Shabazz

Who am i missing?

Left AJackson out, after much thought, because he still sometimes made some decisions that dumbfounded me. Not a slight

Reaction Score
Im a big fan of smart high iq basketball. Pete carrill, court vision, backdoor cuts, making right pass. instinctually knowing where to be on D...A Heady basketball intangible to have, that can't really be taught

I think this years starting lineup will perhaps have 4 players i put in that rare classification. Which is unheard of

Nadav
Sheffer
Marcus williams
Karl hobbs
Shabazz

Who am i missing?

Left AJackson out, after much thought, because he still sometimes made some decisions that dumbfounded me. Not a slight
KEA

Reaction Score
If Jackson doesn't count for this classification then we certainly aren't going to have 4 next year
fine, put him on list, that wasnt my point to dump on Jackson. Who else in Uconn history would you say was that type of cerebral high IQ player?

Karaban and Spencer definitely are. Clingan and Castle pretty sure, but we will see... thats my 4

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’d add Rip. His junior year knowing when to stay back and help rebound and calculating when he could release for a fast break we’re some of the best anticipation playing by any UConn player.

Forced opposing teams to pick their poison. Give up fast break points or have half court play be primarily one and done.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score

Nadav
Sheffer
Marcus williams
Karl hobbs
Shabazz

Who am i missing?

Emeka and DHam
Karaban will make this list by the time he leaves, too

Reaction Score
fine, put him on list, that wasnt my point to dump on Jackson. Who else in Uconn history would you say was that type of cerebral high IQ player?

Karaban and Spencer definitely are. Clingan and Castle pretty sure, but we will see... thats my 4
Have to see about Spencer, hasn’t played here yet. Karaban is heady, but I consider high IQ guys to rack up assists, with a great a/to ratio. Clingan doesn’t fit the qualification or the grouo you’ve set forward, and Castle hasn’t stepped on a college court yet.

caw

Reaction Score
If Jackson doesn't count for this classification then we certainly aren't going to have 4 next year

Seconded, or thirded, or whatever, he did throw some questionable passes though at the start of the year. Once he had the timing down, he was pretty much a step ahead of everyone else on the court with his read of the game.

Caron's feel for the game was high but he probably wasn't the passer you are thinking about.

Okafor's defensive IQ (one on one, help, when to jump, when not to, etc.) was off the charts.

I wouldn't put him on the list bc he didn't fully show it but I do wish Daniel Hamilton had gotten proper coaching, he did display pretty good ability with a non-existent coach. Same with Jalen Adams. They probably had the most wasted talent under Ollie but their natural abilities were quite high.

Have to see about Spencer, hasn’t played here yet. Karaban is heady, but I consider high IQ guys to rack up assists, with a great a/to ratio. Clingan doesn’t fit the qualification or the grouo you’ve set forward, and Castle hasn’t stepped on a college court yet.

He could mean Newton as one of them? Karaban, Newton, Spencer and Castle?

Reaction Score
Not on the all-time list yet, but Karaban, especially for a freshman, always seemed to make the right play. He would push when needed, pass efficiently, shot the ball incredibly well (PF shooting 40% from 3), and would slow things down when needed.

He played with poise and maturity you dont see at that age. He needs to improve on silly fouls but that comes with muscle and experience.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson was clearly intellectually gifted as a basketball player. Some of the things he did were either instinct or intuition, completely unteachable.

I often think of Joey Welton as a player who showed up on campus knowing where every player should be on the court. Even in his first few games as a freshman he would lead the huddle during stoppages in play. I would put Kalid El Amin in the same class. Born leader who knew where everyone on the belonged.

Jim Calhoun once said it took about five minutes to figure out that Nadav Henefeld knew how to play.

I would put Marcus Williams, AJ Price and Jimmy Foster on the list as well.

The weirdest guy would be Daniel Hamilton. A genius on offense that made everyone better. But a guy who was completely lost on defense.

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson was clearly intellectually gifted as a basketball player. Some of the things he did were either instinct or intuition, completely unteachable.

I often think of Joey Welton as a player who showed up on campus knowing where every player should be on the court. Even in his first few games as a freshman he would lead the huddle during stoppages in play. I would put Kalid El Amin in the same class. Born leader who knew where everyone on the belonged.

Jim Calhoun once said it took about five minutes to figure out that Nadav Henefeld knew how to play.

I would put Marcus Williams, AJ Price and Jimmy Foster on the list as well.

The weirdest guy would be Daniel Hamilton. A genius on offense that made everyone better. But a guy who was completely lost on defense.
I have been a fan since the days of Toby Kimball and Joe Whelton may have had the highest basketball IQ I have seen in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Good basketball iq involves anticipation, correct rotations, making the right passes, knowing how to draw contact etc but I prefer players that are clever/creative so my favorite basketball iq guys from uconn are shabazz, Jackson, Marcus Williams, aj price, Hamilton

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest - the average basketball player has a basketball IQ orbits above the average fan. When fans talk about basketball IQ, invariably they settle mostly on guards because their comprehension of basketball IQ is basically just flashy passing.

A guy like Sanogo will never get mentioned because, again, flashy passing, but have you seen many players who just seem to always, always be in the right place? Maybe he has a high basketball IQ.

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest - the average basketball player has a basketball IQ orbits above the average fan. When fans talk about basketball IQ, invariably they settle mostly on guards because their comprehension of basketball IQ is basically just flashy passing.

A guy like Sanogo will never get mentioned because, again, flashy passing, but have you seen many players who just seem to always, always be in the right place? Maybe he has a high basketball IQ.
Okafor comes to mind as well.

Reaction Score

Agreed on the whole, but I think it's fair to say the guard DO have a BBIQ higher than the bigs. If only because there are way more 6' people in the world than 7' people. The guys who make it to high-major D1 at 6' are going to have (usually) developed a better BBIQ than other. They're also just generally much more skilled.

A kid with a BBIQ like Brimah would never have made it as a guard. Being tall is a huge handicap.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seconded, or thirded, or whatever, he did throw some questionable passes though at the start of the year. Once he had the timing down, he was pretty much a step ahead of everyone else on the court with his read of the game.
It's not just Andre that had to adjust the timing of his passes. His teammates had a learning curve as well.
The movement of players without the ball was significantly quicker as the season progressed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Agreed on the whole, but I think it's fair to say the guard DO have a BBIQ higher than the bigs. If only because there are way more 6' people in the world than 7' people. The guys who make it to high-major D1 at 6' are going to have (usually) developed a better BBIQ than other. They're also just generally much more skilled.

A kid with a BBIQ like Brimah would never have made it as a guard. Being tall is a huge handicap.

I don’t think it’s fair to say - there’s no inherent intelligence advantage for shorter people.

It’s just easier for us simpletons to recognize it in guards because we’re absolutely unfamiliar with the concept and experience of being a gigantic human playing basketball.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s fair to say - there’s no inherent intelligence advantage for shorter people.

It’s just easier for us simpletons to recognize it in guards because we’re absolutely unfamiliar with the concept and experience of being a gigantic human playing basketball.
Many have difficulty with the human part, leave out anything else.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

A lot of sports is like that. The, and I hesitate to use the phrase, casual fan, is completely unaware of the amount of information and permutations that have to be processed on a split second basis.

Reaction Score

There's no inherent advantage for shorter people, but there are just a lot more shorter people. Something like 20% of Americans that are 7 feet tall are in the NBA. If you don't develop that advanced basketball knowledge to go along with the skills at 7 feet tall you can probably play at some level in college, and have an OK chance at the NBA. If you're 6'1" and don't develop the extra BBIQ, there is a significantly larger pool of people you have to rise above to make the NBA

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom