High bball IQ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

High bball IQ

Reaction Score
The weirdest guy would be Daniel Hamilton. A genius on offense that made everyone better. But a guy who was completely lost on defense.

Good call on Hamilton. I bet his career would have been very different had he played for Calhoun or Hurley. He was here at the wrong time.

I agree that Andre Jackson has a tremendous basketball IQ, that one is easy.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Im a big fan of smart high iq basketball. Pete carrill, court vision, backdoor cuts, making right pass. instinctually knowing where to be on D...A Heady basketball intangible to have, that can't really be taught

I think this years starting lineup will perhaps have 4 players i put in that rare classification. Which is unheard of

Made me think of list of uconn players who i think TRULY had this quality

Nadav
Sheffer
Marcus williams
Karl hobbs
Shabazz

Who am i missing?

Left AJackson out, after much thought, because he still sometimes made some decisions that dumbfounded me. Not a slight
Niels Giffey.

Reaction Score
Both certainly knew how to find the bottom of the net. I think their mentality was more focused on scoring.
Correct - which I believe often requires a high IQ (i.e. it doesn't have to only be assisting others in my book).

Reaction Score
This will be found sacrilege but i didnt put Jackson on my original list for defensive positioning reasons and being out of control leading to poor fouls AT TIMES.

Dont get it twisted i know hes one of our greatest defenders. Yes hes instinctual, but i thought his defensive prowess was more athleticism and willingness to always go for home run w overplay. Damn this sounds like critique of him which its not. But if you saw nadav in middle of 1-2-1-1 press, i guess thats what im looking for

Ps- i watched enough rutgers to say Spencer has some of that Nadav-like feel defensively

Reaction Score
This will be found sacrilege but i didnt put Jackson on my original list for defensive positioning reasons and being out of control leading to poor fouls AT TIMES.

Dont get it twisted i know hes one of our greatest defenders. Yes hes instinctual, but i thought his defensive prowess was more athleticism and willingness to always go for home run w overplay. Damn this sounds like critique of him which its not. But if you saw nadav in middle of 1-2-1-1 press, i guess thats what im looking for

Ps- i watched enough rutgers to say Spencer has some of that Nadav-like feel defensively
I think if you watch scouting videos especially from the tournament you will see that his defensive IQ is comparable to his offensive intelligence.

Reaction Score
Okafor had the best defensive foot work I've ever seen at uconn. He was always exactly where he needed to be for a rebound or block. He would make an incredible Bigs coach.

Reaction Score
Have to see about Spencer, hasn’t played here yet. Karaban is heady, but I consider high IQ guys to rack up assists, with a great a/to ratio. Clingan doesn’t fit the qualification or the grouo you’ve set forward, and Castle hasn’t stepped on a college court yet.
High bball IQ comes out on consistent winning plays not assists. Neither do you need to score a bunch of points to demonstrate it

Reaction Score
Aside from basketball IQ the turning point for past season happened when Dan realized that he not only had the best 2nd 5 players in the Nation but likely all tlme at Uconn.

Second turning point is when players started forgetting about individual stats and were we b4 me basketball- basically made us unbeatable.

Ill take that as high iQ and all our players had it by NCAA Tournament. I hope stephon and ball embrace approach sooner than later as they get comfortable being on court for a bit.

Reaction Score
Im a big fan of smart high iq basketball. Pete carrill, court vision, backdoor cuts, making right pass. instinctually knowing where to be on D...A Heady basketball intangible to have, that can't really be taught

I think this years starting lineup will perhaps have 4 players i put in that rare classification. Which is unheard of

Made me think of list of uconn players who i think TRULY had this quality

Nadav
Sheffer
Marcus williams
Karl hobbs
Shabazz

Who am i missing?

Left AJackson out, after much thought, because he still sometimes made some decisions that dumbfounded me. Not a slight
With all due respect, not Karl Hobbs. Great handle, but at best average in terms of understanding spacing and timing.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, not Karl Hobbs. Great handle, but at best average in terms of understanding spacing and timing.
Thats fair. Seeing bobby dulin and then hobbs/giscombe growing up, i was 50/50 on if my memory served.p Plus imy understanding of bball iq was nonexistent then :)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Putting Alex karaban ahead of Andre Jackson on the basketball intelligence list sure is something. Andre would be Kwintin Williams without his intelligence.

I think elite defensive players often get cut short in these conversations, even though most elite defensive players also have the physical gifts that make their defensive plays possible. Positioning is mostly an inherent understanding of the floor and how it’s changing in every given moment. Playing the passing lanes requires an instinct for reading the ball handler. Help side defending is calculating how far off you can be/or need to help on the given play without being in no man’s land. A guy like Draymond is going to make the hall of fame because he was the best defensive player of the 2010s, and he wasn’t some freak athletically.

Reaction Score
Putting Alex karaban ahead of Andre Jackson on the basketball intelligence list sure is something. Andre would be Kwintin Williams without his intelligence.

I think elite defensive players often get cut short in these conversations, even though most elite defensive players also have the physical gifts that make their defensive plays possible. Positioning is mostly an inherent understanding of the floor and how it’s changing in every given moment. Playing the passing lanes requires an instinct for reading the ball handler. Help side defending is calculating how far off you can be/or need to help on the given play without being in no man’s land. A guy like Draymond is going to make the hall of fame because he was the best defensive player of the 2010s, and he wasn’t some freak athletically.
Any comparison between Andre Jackson and Kwintin Williams is crazy…..Next.

Reaction Score

Karaban has NBA vet BBIQ.

From basically his first game he was making instantaneous correct reads from the middle of a zone. Check out these back to back possessions from his 2nd shift ever in college against a 1-3-1 (9:13 and 8:48).

(just pause it and close it before the Hawkins thud).

2nd one may have been a set play, but part of BBIQ is recalling and executing the timing of plays flawlessly.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Karaban has NBA vet BBIQ.

From basically his first game he was making instantaneous correct reads from the middle of a zone. Check out these back to back possessions from his 2nd shift ever in college against a 1-3-1 (9:13 and 8:48).

(just pause it and close it before the Hawkins thud).

2nd one may have been a set play, but part of BBIQ is recalling and executing the timing of plays flawlessly.

He’s very smart, I’m not trying to diss him at all. Alex has a chance to show off his understanding of the court in his enhanced role next year, which I think he will.

But I do think Andres defensive instincts, combined with his understanding of how to run sets and create ideal looks for his teammates is the only reason he’s an NBA player. Without his head, he’s just another athletic player that doesn’t sniff the NBA. He helped make Jordan and Adama a lot of money by understanding how they operate best as players, and I think that’s an underrated aspect of BBIQ.

Edit: I appreciate the video starting right at the point you were mentioning. Those were some great reads.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Any comparison between Andre Jackson and Kwintin Williams is crazy…..Next.
I’m obviously exaggerating, but it was meant to show what aw inspiring athleticism looks like without any understanding of how you can translate it to production. Andre with an average basketball IQ is a career backup in college, at best.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Scottie Burrell, was a gifted athlete but I thought he also had a high BB IQ
Not compared to the others we're talking about. If so, his senior year team would have won more.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Kemba has to be on this list right?

He completely controlled games as a distributor, scorer, made plays defensively. He even controlled the refs knowing how to draw fouls.

I’d say Jeremy Lamb too. His defensive instincts to constantly get in passing lanes and get deflections were amazing. Offensively he used screens beautifully to both setup shots and back door cuts for easy buckets.

He was also really good at flashing to the high post and making plays from there.

The 2011 team in general was just really high IQ with Kemba, Bazz, and Lamb on the wing.

The dribble at backdoor cuts were a thing of beauty to watch every time we ran it. Which is completely a read play.

Andre was high IQ as a passer, but I don’t know if he had an overall high IQ for the game (made bad fouls a lot of times, it took him until the end of the year to see how many easy buckets he can get off cuts to the rim). Karaban definitely deserves to be on the list.

Reaction Score
He’s very smart, I’m not trying to diss him at all. Alex has a chance to show off his understanding of the court in his enhanced role next year, which I think he will.

But I do think Andres defensive instincts, combined with his understanding of how to run sets and create ideal looks for his teammates is the only reason he’s an NBA player. Without his head, he’s just another athletic player that doesn’t sniff the NBA. He helped make Jordan and Adama a lot of money by understanding how they operate best as players, and I think that’s an underrated aspect of BBIQ.

Edit: I appreciate the video starting right at the point you were mentioning. Those were some great reads.

Jordan and Adama are as helping to Andre as he to them. Andre assists would be significantly down if they did not finished with a basket. Just saying, it’s a symbiosis.

Reaction Score
Not compared to the others we're talking about. If so, his senior year team would have won more.
You're going to blame that on him. He was 2nd leading scorer, tied for 2nd in rebounds and 2nd in assists. That's pretty good Bball IQ.

Reaction Score
To me BB IQ is all about instinct. Many of the heroes mentioned here didn't show off their BB IQ from the start. Experience and coaching brought it out.
Right of the bat guys, like El Amin were obviously special from day 1. Nadav.
I've got not problem sitting Alex in that classroom on day 1.
Andre showed it but took a while to iron out the mistakes of eagerness.
Ray Allen probably showed the most talent from day 1 and is underrated for his IQ.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom