Hey The Big Ten Network tweeted about us | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hey The Big Ten Network tweeted about us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Small states need to justify the cost of big expensive universities by showing that they educate the people of the state. That's the theory. Some other states do the same. Very few of the kids on the low end actually go to KU or even K State, as they flunk a bunch out and cost more. They also impose different criteria to get into specific schools within the school, like engineering.

Good point. I remember looking at International MBA programs back in the early 2000’s and somehow U South Carolina’s is ranked one of the best in the country (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/international-business-rankings) and the school knows it. Today, a ‘regular’ MBA at South Carolina costs $33,920 a year while the annual tuition for the International MBA is $42,296 (resident) and $70,176 (non-resident) (http://www.moore.sc.edu/admissions/internationalmba/tuitionfees.aspx). Crazy.
I ended-up going to Boston U part-time as life got in the way of going full-time and work agreeded to pay for 75% of it.

Reaction Score
Took a while for pro-UConn comments to show up. No one countered the pro-UConn arguments so far. One post longer than the rest combined seems to have quieted the anti-UConn crowd.

Things keep getting brighter and brighter.

Reaction Score
Took a while for pro-UConn comments to show up. No one countered the pro-UConn arguments so far. One post longer than the rest combined seems to have quieted the anti-UConn crowd. Things keep getting brighter and brighter.

Butch. I was curious after your post and looked again at the comment section. Regretably another anti-UConn comment has been posted. It is unfortunate but I think it will be a continued battle, for all of you who want UConn in the B1G, against this type of sentiment.

http://btn.com/2013/06/14/mail-bag-any-chance-big-ten-would-want-uconn/#comments

Dimitri on 6/27/2013 @ 10:22am EDT Said:
Uconn in the B1G is a not a great idea. No football program to speak of, no real market (half way between Boston and NYC and no real presence in either of them), good basketball but let’s see what happens with the program in post-Calhoun era. Potential is limited, stadium is 40K and CT is not a fertile recruiting territory.
At the end of the day, Uconn will not bring enough money to the B1G to justify having to slice the pie by one more piece.

Reaction Score
Butch. I was curious after your post and looked again at the comment section. Regretably another anti-UConn comment has been posted. It is unfortunate but I think it will be a continued battle, for all of you who want UConn in the B1G, against this type of sentiment.

http://btn.com/2013/06/14/mail-bag-any-chance-big-ten-would-want-uconn/#comments

Uconn in the B1G is a not a great idea. No football program to speak of, no real market (half way between Boston and NYC and no real presence in either of them), good basketball but let’s see what happens with the program in post-Calhoun era. Potential is limited, stadium is 40K and CT is not a fertile recruiting territory.
At the end of the day, Uconn will not bring enough money to the B1G to justify having to slice the pie by one more piece.
Does this person know Connecticut has had multiple top tier professional franchises in multiple sports going back to the 1870s, a span of over 120 years? Seriously, how the heck do B1G fans think their market is more densely populated than Connecticut?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_Dark_Blues

Hartford Dark Blues, Hartford Blues, Connecticut Centennials (NASL) and Hartford Whalers are four I can remember.

Reaction Score

If UConn makes s deep run in BB this year that question will be put to rest. Any success the football team has will be magnified by BZB success.
The talking point will be "we have a chance to get one of the top BB schools in the country whose football team is on the rise."
By the way. Its in one of the best remaining markets. With terrific access to our Alumnus in both Ny and Boston. With easy. air travel access from the heart of the Midwest.
2.5 from Minn less than 2 from Detroit and 1 hour from Baltimore or a short ride from NJ Eastern Pa or Maryland or even Ohio.

Its also a poke in the eye for the ACC northern strategy.
A meaningful NYC rivalry game between Rutgers and UConn
played yearly at Yankee Stadium. THE CAMP CUP (the Ct resident who created football.)
One. or more BB game a year at MSG
UConn vs alternated Big teams. Even Nebraska fans will go for that.
Compact not small 3.5 million people.
Ideal location
Easily accrsssble to many Alum.
rapid fan base
Great basketball
Rivsl for Rutgers

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Hartford Dark Blues lasted 1.5 seasons in the 1870s before moving to Brooklyn.

I'm pretty sure the fact that no professional franchise has survived here is a negative.

Reaction Score
The Hartford Dark Blues lasted 1.5 seasons in the 1870s before moving to Brooklyn.

I'm pretty sure the fact that no professional franchise has survived here is a negative.

I'm pretty sure the reason the Whalers couldn't survive is because Uconn basketball arrived and took a majority of the disposable income from sports fans in the area.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the reason the Whalers couldn't survive is because Uconn basketball arrived and took a majority of the disposable income from sports fans in the area.

The Whalers had good attendance. They left because Karmanos wanted to leave. The idea that fan support was the Whalers problem is garbage. For a poorly managed, crappy team to do as well as they did in Hartford tells me Hartford supported them in spite of their organizational incompetence.

We would have needed to build a new arena and given them a sweetheart deal on it to keep them long term though. Owners that want to move their teams usually do it because the new arena will make them more money.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is a coincidence that the Whalers left just a few years after Huskymania took over the state.

Reaction Score

Considering we're sandwiched between NYC and Boston? It's actually even a plus we were granted pro franchises. Hartford was the richest city in the US between the Civil War and the Great Depression. The powers that be would be wise to preserve as much Hartford history as possible. There should even be markers where the other three pro franchises played.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is a coincidence that the Whalers left just a few years after Huskymania took over the state.
The NHL wanted the Whalers to go. Hockey is a different game than basketball.

Reaction Score
The NHL wanted the Whalers to go. Hockey is a different game than basketball.
I realize that and my theory may be totally wrong but I just can't look past the coincidence. To put it another way if Dunkin Donuts closes shop 6 months after Starbucks opens next door you can pretty much say that Dunkin wouldn't have closed if Starbucks hadn't opened. Two different sports but they were competing against each other for fans' dollars.

Reaction Score
I realize that and my theory may be totally wrong but I just can't look past the coincidence. To put it another way if Dunkin Donuts closes shop 6 months after Starbucks opens next door you can pretty much say that Dunkin wouldn't have closed if Starbucks hadn't opened. Two different sports but they were competing against each other for fans' dollars.
The Patriots were very strongly considering a move to Hartford. From what I recall, from a business perspective, the move made total sense. Loyalty is why the Krafts kept the Patriots in Foxboro. One of Kraft's sons thought he was out of his mind for turning down the stadium in Hartford.

Reaction Score
The Whaler and UConn fan crossover was minimal at best.

That team didn't make the playoff for ten years and were still averaging over 10k. Thats better then the Islanders when they tanked. They had a loyal hardcore base.
UConn might even have helped Whaler attrndence especially when the Huskies cut out a bunch of fans. With high pricing. The habit of going to Hartford established by going to UConn games carried over.
Luxuary seating was for both sports and a more attractive UConn helped sell boxes.
The Whalers problem was lack of TV deal
that was more a result the Bruin, Ranger, and Islander fans in CT.
The other problem was New Haven. (The best hockey area of the state never embraced the Whale) They had a INL franchise at the time.
Bad teams lack of fans outside of the Hartford Area and a huge lure from the Carolina's. UConn success was minimal to zero in the Whaler failure.
I was the only whaler fan at work. Fairfield County.
Their were bunches of Ranger and Islander fans.
Which worked out well. I got all the Whaler freebies.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
If the Whalers had stayed and the Pats moved in, Hartford would probably be a much nicer city right now. Too bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The Whalers left because they had lousy support and a terrible arena/deal.

Plenty of cities support multiple pro franchises along with college sports.

Sports just aren't as important here as they are elsewhere.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Patriots were very strongly considering a move to Hartford. From what I recall, from a business perspective, the move made total sense. Loyalty is why the Krafts kept the Patriots in Foxboro. One of Kraft's sons thought he was out of his mind for turning down the stadium in Hartford.

The Patriots used Hartford to squeeze a better deal from Foxboro. They were never coming.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Considering we're sandwiched between NYC and Boston? It's actually even a plus we were granted pro franchises. Hartford was the richest city in the US between the Civil War and the Great Depression. The powers that be would be wise to preserve as much Hartford history as possible. There should even be markers where the other three pro franchises played.

Granted a pro franchise? Do you actually know how the Whalers got in the NHL?

Hartford had a National League Franchise for a season and a half 140 years ago.

What the hell would a baseball team that literally no one knows ever existed have to do with anything in 2013?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The Whalers left because they had lousy support and a terrible arena/deal.

Plenty of cities support multiple pro franchises along with college sports.

Sports just aren't as important here as they are elsewhere.
There are experts now saying the Whalers would have been better off in Hartford. The Ron Francis trade harpooned the Whalers when it came to fan support.

Reaction Score
Granted a pro franchise? Do you actually know how the Whalers got in the NHL?

Hartford had a National League Franchise for a season and a half 140 years ago.

What the hell would a baseball team that literally no one knows ever existed have to do with anything in 2013?
I know the history of the Whalers. Bottom line: the NHL brought in a franchise located in Hartford.

The Dark Blues are just an example of another pro team we had. But the Whalers were the longest lived franchise here. And they were the most recent. Anyone with any knowledge about sports marketing knows the area can support a pro franchise.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There are experts now saying the Whalers would have been better off in Hartford. The Ron Francis trade harpooned the Whalers when it came to fan support.

The NHL didn't want Hartford to have a team. They sold to a guy who wanted out. It doesn't matter if they were better off staying - they weren't and they didn't.

I sat in that empty building for hundreds of games. They stunk so people didn't support them. It's not complicated.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know the history of the Whalers. Bottom line: the NHL brought in a franchise located in Hartford.

The Dark Blues are just an example of another pro team we had. But the Whalers were the longest lived franchise here. And they were the most recent. Anyone with any knowledge about sports marketing knows the area can support a pro franchise.

Sure thing. That is why we don't have one and no one is interested in bringing one here. Because anyone with any knowledge knows it would be such a raging success.

I'm pretty sure when making the case for having a team you don't reference a team that picked up and moved in the middle of a season.

Reaction Score
Buddy I lived in Hartford during the period. They chewed Rowland up and spit him out. It was just a ploy to extract a deal in Mass. I still remember the Courant headline when they stuck it to him "Dear John"
I almost remember the whole story as if it were yesterday. I became a Patriots fan in the mid-80s. People can say it was a ploy, but financially, a move to Hartford made sense. The NFL didn't want to leave another "large" market after they lost Los Angeles and Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom