Hey The Big Ten Network tweeted about us | The Boneyard

Hey The Big Ten Network tweeted about us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank you mam, may we have another? Dead School Walking baby!

Reaction Score
The question and answer ....

NYC has been captivated numerous times by Big East basketball over the years. With UConn being readily available, and seemingly only hindered by its lack of academic heft, wouldn’t the Huskies be the perfect addition to the B1G? If NYC is the prize, how can a team that has rocked MSG for decades be ignored as a possible addition? – Sean P

No doubt, UConn would bring some nice qualities to the Big Ten. But, I think the league already has the “eastern” presences that it desires. I have to think UConn will find a nice landing place someday. The basketball programs for the men and women are top-notch, and the football program has great facilities and continues to improve.

The retort, but your passion and knowledge about UConn would have to lead the way ....

You think the league already has the “eastern” presences that it desires but it does not have all the "eastern" presences it needs to capture NYC.

Go get 'em.

Reaction Score
honestly, that's not a bad answer. he's complimenting our programs, and makes a (probably inaccurate) statement that they have a good eastern presence. about all we could expect from that.

Reaction Score
Any press is good press, and aside from the academics slight (which is inaccurate), it wasn't all that bad. The more people talk about UCONN to Big Ten the better, especially if it emanates from B1G media. Keeping my fingers crossed that UCONN greases the skids by performing on the field, the court, the classroom, and in the research lab in the coming year.

Reaction Score
Any press is good press, and aside from the academics slight (which is inaccurate), it wasn't all that bad. The more people talk about UCONN to Big Ten the better, especially if it emanates from B1G media. Keeping my fingers crossed that UCONN greases the skids by performing on the field, the court, the classroom, and in the research lab in the coming year.

@Hey the idea is not to let them forget your here and your ready for MUCH B1Ger thing's than either the AAC or ACC!!When your not on their lip's...that would be a problem!!We and those that need to know realize our academic's are 2 nd to none of the B1G's core school's!Most of the unintended slights are perception problems rather than true issues!Keep thinking B1G and the ACC will beg you guy's to jump to them!You all know were ready for another shift in CR and the next time the music stop's we'll have a chair!!!

Reaction Score
Obviously, Rutgers and Maryland do not deliver the Bos-Wash megalopolis alone. There's a void between Boston and NYC. And NYC cares about UConn hoops more than Rutgers hoops. Very encouraging words, nonetheless. The B1G would (obviously, again) be wise to aim for the whole megalopolis. The academics remark must have meant the lack of AAU affiliation.

The B1G alumni and fans have to continue to help us out. You know Connecticut/New England wouldn't disappoint.

And you can visit Walter Camp's grave, too. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Obviously, Rutgers and Maryland do not deliver the Bos-Wash megalopolis alone. There's a void between Boston and NYC. And NYC cares about UConn hoops more than Rutgers hoops. Very encouraging words, nonetheless. The B1G would (obviously, again) be wise to aim for the whole megalopolis. The academics remark must have meant the lack of AAU affiliation.

The B1G alumni and fans have to continue to help us out. You know Connecticut/New England wouldn't disappoint.

And you can visit Walter Camp's grave, too. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with everything you said!The east coast is like a web connected by the major cities but w/o Uconn connecting NY/NJ to Boston/New England region their missing an important connection to lock the NE down for the B1G!

Reaction Score
The lack of academic heft statement is complete BS as UCONN is ranked higher in US NEWS than many of the Big10 schools such as Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan State, RU etc.

The Big10 schools ranked ahead of UCONN are just barely ranked higher with the obvious exceptions of NW, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
i remember maybe 6 months ago an Alum started a thread on the Football board talking about the recent entering class, its board scores and class rank stats. I can't find it, but the post was excellent. I think it may have compared UConn academics to B1G summarizing that if we were in the B1g we would be ranked something like 7th ??

Reaction Score
The lack of academic heft statement is complete BS as UCONN is ranked higher in US NEWS than many of the Big10 schools such as Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan State, RU etc.

The Big10 schools ranked ahead of UCONN are just barely ranked higher with the obvious exceptions of NW, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Agreed. In the USN&WR rankings there are five schools tied for the spot just ahead of UCONN. Come September, UCONN's improving metrics will enable it move up several spots and potentially ahead of two more B1G schools (MD and Ohio State). Illinois is the only other school with a little separation, but over time that can be narrowed, especially when you consider the investment being made in academics and resources, while most states are cutting back.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think the academic slight was in reference to our non-AAU affiliation. But it should be pointed out that we ARE a member of Universitas 21 (of which OSU and MD were just accepted) and we actually do stack up well with other AAU members in the metrics used to determine acceptance. With the $2B that the state just invested, it could speed up the process towards an AAU invite. This is exactly why academics ARE important and those who claim that they aren't are fooling themselves. Our ultimate prize is AAU and then the B1G, not a sham of a conference that includes the likes of NC State, Louisville and FSU academia. We are not getting a B1G invite without AAU.

http://www.universitas21.com/member/details/24/university-of-connecticut

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
If When the B1G gets serious about extending an invite to UConn, and if UConn is not yet an AAU member, the B1G can expand their academic admittance qualifications to include Universitas 21 as they'll already have at least two of their current member institutions (OSU and MD) in the global research organization. That should take care of any perceived academic issue as long as UConn continues its academic upswing.

The B1G can play the waiting game for now, but if CR heats up again and UConn rises to the top of their list for 15 or 16, well...when you want something bad enough, you find a way to get it.

Reaction Score
i remember maybe 6 months ago an Alum started a thread on the Football board talking about the recent entering class, its board scores and class rank stats. I can't find it, but the post was excellent. I think it may have compared UConn academics to B1G summarizing that if we were in the B1g we would be ranked something like 7th ??

@I've said it before in another thread that UConn is similar in academic's and mission as any core B1G school and ahead of most (by narrow margin)!!

Reaction Score
If When the B1G gets serious about extending an invite to UConn, and if UConn is not yet an AAU member, the B1G can expand their academic admittance qualifications to include Universitas 21 as they'll already have at least two of their current member institutions (OSU and MD) in the global research organization. That should take care of any perceived academic issue as long as UConn continues its academic upswing.

The B1G can play the waiting game for now, but if CR heats up again and UConn rises to the top of their list for 15 or 16, well...when you want something bad enough, you find a way to get it.

Here's an article on what OSU was considering when it decided to join Universitas 21

http://www.thelantern.com/campus/oh...ffordability-1.3046041?pagereq=1#.Uby8Duesh8E

From the article it sounds like there won't be any additional US based institutions added since they want to expand into South America and have only 2 spots left and the main perceived benefit is better study abroad opportunities.

Reaction Score
Here's an article on what OSU was considering when it decided to join Universitas 21

http://www.thelantern.com/campus/oh...ffordability-1.3046041?pagereq=1#.Uby8Duesh8E

From the article it sounds like there won't be any additional US based institutions added since they want to expand into South America and have only 2 spots left and the main perceived benefit is better study abroad opportunities.

Glad you linked that article. I missed it.

A few thoughts.

Agree with you the main perceived benefit is better study abroad opportunities.

The network offers student study abroad experiences hosted by its member universities around the world, with programs including the U21 Summer School, the Undergraduate Research Conference and the Global Issues Programme.

The programs offer students the chance to visit one of the 27 member universities and learn alongside others from six of the seven continents.

However, a few additional items from the article that struck me and indicate representatives from UConn will have the opportunity to network with those from Maryland and Ohio State. I think any opportunity to network with B1G universities, especially in the realm of academics and research, will be of benefit to UConn.

Other programs offered by U21 allow communication between universities to improve research and teaching methods and to develop new e-learning techniques.

With 27 members, U21 is drawing close to its self-imposed 29-member limit. Usherwood said although there were some universities that opted not to join in the early days, desire to belong has increased in recent years
“I’m probably turning somebody down most months,” Usherwood said. “If we got too large, we’d lose that intimacy, that collegiality that you get from being exclusive.”

Reaction Score
The only comment in the article so far:

"J.C. on 6/15/2013 @ 12:23pm EDT Said:

I think Tom is too nice to say that Connecticut has no chance of being invited into the Big Ten. UConn does nothing for the conference in terms of football, the sport many associate with a conferences success (or lack thereof).

It’s rather amazing how UConn fans cannot accept the school is in The American and just try to make the best of the situation."

Goofball.

Reaction Score
I think J. C. has been studying at the Dr. E. Gordon Gee School of Inter-University Public Relations :).

It is regrettable but there is really not much, if anything, you can say that will change the mind of someone with this perspective of your university.

Yes, football remains the driver of expansion, but the B1G and BTN clearly value all collegiate athletics and I think this is a positive aspect of the B1G and BTN.

The UConn basketball brand would be a welcome addition to the B1G and BTN in my opinion.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The only comment in the article so far:

"J.C. on 6/15/2013 @ 12:23pm EDT Said:

I think Tom is too nice to say that Connecticut has no chance of being invited into the Big Ten. UConn does nothing for the conference in terms of football, the sport many associate with a conferences success (or lack thereof).

It’s rather amazing how UConn fans cannot accept the school is in The American and just try to make the best of the situation."

Goofball.
Bet this guy was thrilled when they got RU and MD to sign up and beef up their football schedule! Ha!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
BTN spammed by FB feed today...hmmmmmm IT MEANS....SOMETHING?

Listen guys, we have 3 teams (I'll throw in RU and MD) from the B1G coming to the Rent this year. If those games are packed, loud, and Ws it can only expand on this type of buzz.

Reaction Score
Bet this guy was thrilled when they got RU and MD to sign up and beef up their football schedule! Ha!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Reaction Score
I have to be honest, maybe it's chicken-egg, or something, but no one cares.

At a party tonight and everyone talking MlB, NFL, etc. I like college fball, but reaching a point where I could care less. The product itself is garbage. I like UConn tailgates, nothing more fun, but limited interest up here. We like real thing.

Reaction Score
I have to be honest, maybe it's chicken-egg, or something, but no one cares.

At a party tonight and everyone talking MlB, NFL, etc. I like college fball, but reaching a point where I could care less. The product itself is garbage. I like UConn tailgates, nothing more fun, but limited interest up here. We like real thing.

You are on a college sports website. BIZARRE!!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The college football product is garbage? Interesting that so many pay so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom