Here's the problem | The Boneyard

Here's the problem

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Fine, this is a loss. Teams are going to play poorly, and while the showing today ain't pretty, neither of our losses this weekend are going to keep us out of the NCAAs. With some coaching up, these pieces can compete in the American and we could finish high in the league and make a run for the tournament.

The problem is, I have zero faith that Kevin Ollie can coach this team up to make that run. We keep making the same mistakes over and over. We haven't run any offense all season, we leave three-point shooters open every game, and Terry Larrier averages five fadeaway deep 2s per game. No change. No improvement. I hate comparing Ollie to Calhoun, because he's one of the best coaches of all-time, but Calhoun would have pulled Larrier after his first or 2nd awful shot of the game, sat his ass on the bench, and put him back in 2 minutes later, and Larrier wouldn't take another bad shot the rest of the game.

This is awful to watch, and I have no faith it's gonna get any better. I' rready for Ollie to go.

Reaction Score
Fine, this is a loss. Teams are going to play poorly, and while the showing today ain't pretty, neither of our losses this weekend are going to keep us out of the NCAAs. With some coaching up, these pieces can compete in the American and we could finish high in the league and make a run for the tournament.

The problem is, I have zero faith that Kevin Ollie can coach this team up to make that run. We keep making the same mistakes over and over. We haven't run any offense all season, we leave three-point shooters open every game, and Terry Larrier averages five fadeaway deep 2s per game. No change. No improvement. I hate comparing Ollie to Calhoun, because he's one of the best coaches of all-time, but Calhoun would have pulled Larrier after his first or 2nd awful shot of the game, sat his ass on the bench, and put him back in 2 minutes later, and Larrier wouldn't take another bad shot the rest of the game.

This is awful to watch, and I have no faith it's gonna get any better. I' rready for Ollie to go.
Never thought it’d get to this point for me but I agree. We are getting punked

Reaction Score
Midseason coaching changes in college are impossible so it’s pointless to ask for it now, but it’s pretty clear that Ollie has no clue how to coach an offense.

Since the incoming recruiting class isn’t anything remarkable, I would think Benedict is scouting the country for potential replacements for the offseason. Time for some real change IMO.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What's the timetable? Honest question.

There's no point in firing the guy mid-season, and honestly, he deserves better than that because of what he's done for the program as a player and for bringing us a national championship as a coach. That being said, unless we show significant improvement as a team this season he needs to go in April.

Reaction Score
Never thought it’d get to this point for me but I agree. We are getting punked
I’m getting there. A bad loss to Syracuse might put me over the top. Beat SU and UA and I’m back. Right now I’m in purgatory

Reaction Score
Serious question tho: What's Ollie's buyout $$$ if we part ways with him this spring? I've been trying to find it and can't quite seem to.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If you're being serious, can't really tell anymore. They need to do it this year.

I'm actually interesting in engaging with OP without sarcasm and having a serious discussion on the coaching change.

If you recall, I said this offseason that I wanted a change if we missed the tournament. Just because I think the fact that we talk about firing the coach every November is bananas doesn't mean I'm opposed to the idea in general.

Reaction Score
The chance of KO being fired 6 games into a season with 2 returning players is less than zero. I don't think he gets fired unless the season is a train wreck like last year.

Reaction Score
Needs to happen ASAP. Thank you, Kevin but we've been steadily sinking for 5 years

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There's no point in firing the guy mid-season, and honestly, he deserves better than that because of what he's done for the program as a player and for bringing us a national championship as a coach. That being said, unless we show significant improvement as a team this season he needs to go in April.

Okay. Are there any particular individuals you're interested in going after whom you think we could realistically hire given:
  • Ollie's buyout $
  • General athletic department financial woes
  • Massive drop in prestige that's occurred under Ollie/since moving to the AAC
  • Dumpster fire of a conference
Like I said before, if it has to be done, it has to be done, but I want to disabuse everyone of the notion that the new hire will be exactly what they are looking for.

Reaction Score
Personally, yes, Ollie needs to go this year. I dont think its after this game though. They will be 4-2 with a loss to a top 5 team and a soon to be top 25 team. Now, we shouldnt lose to Arkansas by more than we did to MSU, thats just stupid. IMO if we end up .500 throughout the rest of the season fire him immediatly. But, I think it will be done at the end of the season. Now the question for this board is who would replace him, and no, I dont think anyone wants Tom Crean.

Reaction Score
Ollie needs to hold himself accountable on this one and say something to that effect in the post game presser
This. There needs to be some personal accountability on his part.

I've been a huge Ollie fan but the program is sliding backwards and it ain't all conference related. He's the highest paid person in the state.

Reaction Score
Okay. Are there any particular individuals you're interested in going after whom you think we could realistically hire given:
  • Ollie's buyout $
  • General athletic department financial woes
  • Massive drop in prestige that's occurred under Ollie/since moving to the AAC
  • Dumpster fire of a conference
Like I said before, if it has to be done, it has to be done, but I want to disabuse everyone of the notion that the new hire will be exactly what they are looking for.
Steve Pikiell
Danny Hurley
Eric Konkol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44