Here come the Transfers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Here come the Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought this was a thread about transfers.

Turns out it was really a thread for the SC fans to just talk about players on their team who aren't transfers.
Please don’t deny them their moment...they have a right to “crow” (yes, I went there)...only time will tell if the program continues to build. I wish them the best:)

Reaction Score
This! All up until this year all we heard was Dangerfield was better then Harris and it wasn’t close and Herbert Harrigan wouldn’t proved any leadership this year.... makes me laugh lol. Don’t worry Cooke and Henderson are going to give teams hell next year!
I always liked Harris

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
...BTW it is much more intimidating to block the shot, not foul and keep the ball in bounds as opposed to throwing it in the fifth row, Bill Russell says so-he should know.

Bill Russell did say that and it is definitely part of the equation....

Russell also said "The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot."

So, you see there is finesse to shot blocking AND mindset setting. Yes, block or alter the shot....BUT, every now and then blast it into the fifteenth row. ONO is getting better and better at this mix and staying on the floor.

SOOOO - it will not disappear from her game by design.

Reaction Score
Sure there is! Rhyne Howard at Kentucky and Elissa Cunane at NCSt to name two.
No way. Cunane, while good is not Boston. She’s a better shooter, yes but front court player, no. Howard is a backcourt player. It’s ok to admit she’s good and has the potential to be the player of the year this upcoming season. I don’t have a problem admitting that.

Reaction Score
You know, I'll be the first to admit that SCar is a fine team and Dawn is a fine coach and recruiter. But let's just slow y'alls roll just a bit. This team as constructed ain't won anything, and Harrigan wouldn't have had half the year she had without that rebounder and eraser freshman they got. Harris had a great year, but frankly Harris really had one good year, and the other years she was either average or good. As @CocoHusky has implied, let's just see how this team does without a seasoned PG and an Amihere that has yet to show anything but size and an average drop step at best.

I love the doubt!

Reaction Score
All of the top teams will have a new point guard identity next year so I think it will be interesting to see how every team performs. Uconn(Dangerfield 3yrs), Oregon(Ionescu 4yrs), SC(Harris 4yrs), Baylor(Cooper 1yr)

Maybe: Oregon State(Slocum draft eligible) & Dana Evans (draft eligible)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I love the doubt!
If you love the little bit of doubt I've shown here, if you saw my mind you would send me a ring in the mail.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Her fly swat is her biggest weapon, once she refines it just a little bit more. No player and I mean NO PLAYER wants their shot blasted into the fifteenth row. It discourages drives to the rim, changes shots, forces bad passes, causes travels...

If Geno really wanted that eliminated, do you really think it would take two years and counting...

How long will it be before she refines it?:eek:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I recall a thread on here when we were discussing the upcoming season how little praise Harris and Harrigan got when the SC fans were talking them up. They were listing all the point guards better than Ty. Funny how that has changed. We will see how things turn out for Henderson and Cooke this time next year.
Harris was one of the top 2 guards in the country this year, but no one, including SC fans, saw that coming. As for Harrigan, she was ready to walk on a team that lost 10 games last season. I think what you and other SC fans miss is that sometimes teams get better by subtraction.

Harris & Harrigan should have both had bigger roles last year. Harris might have been the pg, but both Cooper & Cuevas-Moore had the ball in their hands a lot, usually with the intention of shooting it. Cooper in particular would dominate the ball at times.

Dawn did three really smart things after last season ended. She persuaded Harrigan to stay. She didn’t offer Cooper the opportunity to come back for a 6th year. Most importantly, she put the ball in Harris’s hands making it very clear that Harris was running the show.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Most people do not. Even Geno, when asked to comment about her, said basically "she's big and takes up a lot of space in the lane". That was about it.

But let's be fair - she started playing hoops in 8th grade - so it's been about 4 years or so? Most top players start when they are much younger. She started blowing up, metaphorically speaking, last summer over the AAU circuit. I think most would acknowledge that the potential to be really good is there, it's just in a very raw form now.

If Megan had stayed, I would have thought Piath and Geno would seriously have considered a non-medical redshirt (same as Jess Moore). Now I don't think so, but if she's that raw, he will play kids like Edwards and McLean more minutes and Piath will be stuck on the bench.

So I do agree that if a player like Collier wants to come to UCONN with 2 years left, she would be welcomed. I just don't see Piath contributing any time soon...
You may have missed this:

PIATH GABRIEL
F, 6-5, Manchester, N.H.

Auriemma on Gabriel
"The first time I saw Piath play, I was impressed by how hard she works. How hard she runs the floor. How willing she is to mix it up in the lane. There's some things offensively that she needs to work on that I think we can help her with. Of all the big kids that I saw this season, she really impressed me with her work ethic. I think Piath is probably going to be the biggest surprise of all the kids coming into college next year."

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Wow I was wondering who these players were.

Just wasn't able to pick up or understand what they talking about.

Thank you to whoever bought up the fact that this was about South Carolina.

This thread is now going into the ignore column.

Reaction Score
Aliyah was a FRESHMAN and was doing everything ONO did this year as a sophomore. Who knows who will be better but one thing that separates Aliyah from Olivia is her non stop talking on the court and her ability to blow up plays defensively. I don’t recall any other big in the country out side of Boston and Cox constantly communicate to their teammates both offensively and defensively. She also had more double doubles this year than ONO. Although ONO had more blocks I think Aliyah will be even better in that regard next season. around this time next year will tell us a lot about both.

I expect ONO to be much improved next season especially on the offensive end...................she has good touch out to the three point line that has yet to be showcased...............I'm hoping that she will join PB in running the pick and roll until opponents are seeing it in their sleep..................also don't underestimate her passing ability which was quite impressive last season.................frankly I haven't seen Edwards enough in full game action to get a total picture of her game.............I know she can really run, jump and make layups with great frequency...............looking forward to seeing the complete player.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bill Russell did say that and it is definitely part of the equation....

Russell also said "The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot."

So, you see there is finesse to shot blocking AND mindset setting. Yes, block or alter the shot....BUT, every now and then blast it into the fifteenth row. ONO is getting better and better at this mix and staying on the floor. SOOOO - it will not disappear from her game by design.
Except she is not getting better at "staying on the floor". ONO average 26.4 MPG this season. Three other UCONN starters averaged closer to 35MPG. ONO has no quality backup for the post position. If she is going to be that intimidating force we all wish she needs to play smarter, stop swatting- aka "stay on the floor" instead of watching from the bench.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No one on SC played

Henderson will be a junior who averaged 24 minutes a game. Ty by comparison averaged 29 minutes a game. She should be fine.
Yes if you include games against cupcakes. In games that really mattered, Harris was always at 30+ minutes. In addition, many of Henderson’s prime time minutes were at the 2-guard with Harris at pg. As I said, she may be just fine at pg, but she hasn’t really had to run the show in a big game for 30+ minutes.

In the UConn game Harris never came off the court, playing 40 minutes, and she was great with 19 pts, 4 rbs & 12 ast. Henderson played just 17 minutes with 6 pts, 4 rbs & 0 ast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom