Here come the Transfers | The Boneyard

Here come the Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The season hasn’t been over for a week yet, but the transfers have already started:
  • Wyoming: soph G Karla Ergavec & soph F & leading scorer Tereza Vitula
  • Wisconsin: soph G Diamond Bragg, jr Courtney Frederickson & jr Niya Beverly
  • Duke: 6th year GS Kyra Lambert
  • Illinois: GS & leading scorer Petra Holesinka

Reaction Score
The season hasn’t been over for a week yet, but the transfers have already started:
  • Wyoming: soph G Karla Ergavec & soph F & leading scorer Tereza Vitula
  • Wisconsin: soph G Diamond Bragg, jr Courtney Frederickson & jr Niya Beverly
  • Duke: 6th year GS Kyra Lambert
  • Illinois: GS & leading scorer Petra Holesinka
Geno will get 3 point shooter or forward from this pool. Also, he will go Europe with his contacts get another player.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like this thread here. While none of the players are from UCONN, it's relevant as a UCONN thread topic becasue we get to debate who we might want or who we think Geno will go after.

As an additional thought, WOULD Geno go after any transfers? I honestly think a grad transfer is out of the question. I LOVED Evelyn's attitude and what she brought to the team, but she never really was able to contribute meaningful minutes.

I wouldn't call it a failed experiment, but taking kids for 2 years or less has rarely worked out well. Rash Sadiq only lasted one year. Stevens could have stayed 2 years but left after 1. We had Butler for 2 years, but were too stacked for her to get much PT. Camara never got healthy. Adebayo just wasn't talented enough to break into the main rotation.

I could see him taking a transfer who has only played 1 year at their school, or a really talented one (like Westbrook) who has played 2 years, but beyond that, our recruiting has been so incredible lately that I think Geno would rather work with kids who have a full 4 years eligibility at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Geno will get 3 point shooter or forward from this pool. Also, he will go Europe with his contacts get another player.

I doubt anyone from Europe, not already recruited, is coming to the USA

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I doubt anyone from Europe, not already recruited, is coming to the USA

Well, combining your comments, he could find a 3-point shooter from Europe without having to leave the continental U.S. if he picks up the phone and calls. Illinois: grad student & leading scorer Petra Holesinka, originally from the Czech Republic. Holesinski shot 71 for 173 from 3-pt. range last year, which is .41% clip. She averaged 12.6 ppg for the Illini. Has been pretty consistent during her stint in Illinois. She missed her junior year due to injury, which is what is allowing her this grad year.

Reaction Score
There is a player in Israel named Sarah Treyberg..might be worth a look...

Reaction Score
I like this thread here. While none of the players are from UCONN, it's relevant as a UCONN thread topic becasue we get to debate who we might want or who we think Geno will go after.

As an additional thought, WOULD Geno go after any transfers? I honestly think a grad transfer is out of the question. I LOVED Evelyn's attitude and what she brought to the team, but she never really was able to contribute meaningful minutes.

I wouldn't call it a failed experiment, but taking kids for 2 years or less has rarely worked out well. Rash Sadiq only lasted one year. Stevens could have stayed 2 years but left after 1. We had Butler for 2 years, but were too stacked for her to get much PT. Camara never got healthy. Adebayo just wasn't talented enough to break into the main rotation.

I could see him taking a transfer who has only played 1 year at their school, or a really talented one (like Westbrook) who has played 2 years, but beyond that, our recruiting has been so incredible lately that I think Geno would rather work with kids who have a full 4 years eligibility at UCONN.
In general agree with your thoughts, BUT would love a 6'5" player like Stevens to come in next year. We likely won the championship if Geno played her more in playoffs. Butler provided important backup even with a broken thumb. If Geno can find a transfer or Euro player that can give us this level of performance next year, will be thrilled.

Reaction Score

Transfers have to wait one year unless NCAA changes the rules. I like the oversea recruit.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Aside from Stevens who took a while to get comfortable, what transfers have come in who made a difference? Westbrook has the talent and I hope we get to see it. Hunter had a few bright spots but her injuries really hampered her. Batouly was never healthy enough and neither Adabao or her apparent clone did much. Rita Williams years ago was a JUCO transfer. I’m sure I’m forgetting some, but the point is, I’m not sure how much of a difference transfers in have made to our program. Obviously some transfers have had a big impact at some programs.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I placed this on the recruiting thread in the General area (I'm a bit confused), but I'll also put it here since the surname may be known to Boneyarders ;)

Dara Mabrey, who has started every game at Va. Tech in her first two years, has decided to enter the transfer portal. Who knows what is exactly the reason behind it, but I do know of a university located in NW Indiana that needs a lead guard and outside shooting. Plus, Dara might know the assistant coach in charge of lead guards, Michaela Mabrey ;). Stay tuned (one hopes).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I placed this on the recruiting thread in the General area (I'm a bit confused), but I'll also put it here since the surname may be known to Boneyarders ;)

Dara Mabrey, who has started every game at Va. Tech in her first two years, has decided to enter the transfer portal. Who knows what is exactly the reason behind it, but I do know of a university located in NW Indiana that needs a lead guard and outside shooting. Plus, Dara might know the assistant coach in charge of lead guards, Michaela Mabrey ;). Stay tuned (one hopes).

Immediately eligible! No waiver necessary. The sister exception.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Immediately eligible! No waiver necessary. The sister exception.

Well, if the NCAA ever has that meeting to vote on that rule, there won't be an exemption to call it. (Was originally scheduled for a vote in April, no? But one would assume it's shelved for awhile).

But, in the spirit of your post, I like the "sister exception." Or maybe, the Mabrey3 Manifesto? Or, JerseyShore Jurisprudence? ;)

(Who even knows if this will transpire, but as a Jersey guy and ND fan on St. Patrick's Eve, this is a reason to raise a Guinness :D)

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well, if the NCAA ever has that meeting to vote on that rule, there won't be an exemption to call it. (Was originally scheduled for a vote in April, no? But one would assume it's shelved for awhile).

But, in the spirit of your post, I like the "sister exception." Or maybe, the Mabrey3 rule? ;)
(Who even knows if this will transpire, but as a Jersey guy and ND fan on St. Patrick's Eve, this is a reason to raise a Guinness :D)

No rule change required. Sister exception. The Shepard rule. No more Muffet blubbering at a press conference. Whatever.

File I-212 and I-601

Dillon77

Reaction Score
No rule change required. Sister exception. The Shepard rule. No more Muffet blubbering at a press conference. Whatever.

File I-212 and I-601

So glad we're in agreement! ;) Stay tuned.

Reaction Score

But, in the spirit of your post, I like the "sister exception." Or maybe, the Mabrey3 Manifesto? Or, JerseyShore Jurisprudence? ;)

What isn't a reason to raise a Guinness? :D

Reaction Score
Geno needs size next year. Losing our best 2 scorers, and adding a playmaker like Paige, we need size to post-up, add a physical element, and get some easy buckets inside. Or else, ONO will just wear down like she did a lot this season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Geno needs size next year. Losing our best 2 scorers, and adding a playmaker like Paige, we need size to post-up, add a physical element, and get some easy buckets inside. Or else, ONO will just wear down like she did a lot this season.

Will any size do? Or are you looking for a generational talent with size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom