Here come the Transfers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Here come the Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Forget transfers. We have great talent coming in and these are the players that need developing. What message is sent to recruits that we have so little faith in you that we are looking for transfers? The situation before and after Meg’s departure remains the same. If it means a developmental (but still great season) so be it. Besides if transfers mean these talented recruits spend more minutes on the bench it might lead to them transferring the year after.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Agreed..............she is by far the quickest and can get to the lane far more easily...............I think she's a very good shooter but a bit below the other two...........not sure if she is any more nasty then the others but let's put it this way, she almost got into two fights at the state champion awards dinner over which table her team was sitting at................:rolleyes: Obviously UConn is not in need of another guard but players of this quality are hard to find as a transfer............somebody is going to great a really good all around player.........

Agree and touche on the Awards Dinner story: you can have too many Mabreys in the kichen.

That said, Michaela should just have a family chat on her speaker phone...with MM and Beth Cunningham sitting in.

Having Dara and Abby Prohaska on the same court would help the grit aspect of the Irish immensely.

Reaction Score
Agree and touche on the Awards Dinner story: you can have too many Mabreys in the kichen.

That said, Michaela should just have a family chat on her speaker phone...with MM and Beth Cunningham sitting in.

Having Dara and Abby Prohaska on the same court would help the grit aspect of the Irish immensely.

I think Dara and Abby would probably hurt each other trying to get to a loose ball...............;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You evidently have little or no confidence in Piath.
Most people do not. Even Geno, when asked to comment about her, said basically "she's big and takes up a lot of space in the lane". That was about it.

But let's be fair - she started playing hoops in 8th grade - so it's been about 4 years or so? Most top players start when they are much younger. She started blowing up, metaphorically speaking, last summer over the AAU circuit. I think most would acknowledge that the potential to be really good is there, it's just in a very raw form now.

If Megan had stayed, I would have thought Piath and Geno would seriously have considered a non-medical redshirt (same as Jess Moore). Now I don't think so, but if she's that raw, he will play kids like Edwards and McLean more minutes and Piath will be stuck on the bench.

So I do agree that if a player like Collier wants to come to UCONN with 2 years left, she would be welcomed. I just don't see Piath contributing any time soon...

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Most people do not. Even Geno, when asked to comment about her, said basically "she's big and takes up a lot of space in the lane". That was about it.

But let's be fair - she started playing hoops in 8th grade - so it's been about 4 years or so? Most top players start when they are much younger. She started blowing up, metaphorically speaking, last summer over the AAU circuit. I think most would acknowledge that the potential to be really good is there, it's just in a very raw form now.

If Megan had stayed, I would have thought Piath and Geno would seriously have considered a non-medical redshirt (same as Jess Moore). Now I don't think so, but if she's that raw, he will play kids like Edwards and McLean more minutes and Piath will be stuck on the bench.

So I do agree that if a player like Collier wants to come to UCONN with 3 years left, she would be welcomed. I just don't see Piath contributing any time soon...
Collier would have two years left.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've said it once and I'll say it again, Zia Cooke is going to be a big star. Now as for Henderson, I wouldn't hold out for her to more than a little above average. I don't think she'll hit Harris' level. But Cooke? My goodness. No doubt SCar is going to be a handful for anyone next year.
Woe! Slowdown here! Cooke is not going to become a star by shooting 38%. Either Henderson or Cooke is going to have to slide over and play the PG role full time next season. Neither will bring the defensive intensity of Harris and neither has the A/TO ratio to even come close to matching Harris.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
....ONO’s effectiveness next year will be determined by her ability to stay on the floor...... Her fly swat technique is her biggest obstacle to greatness....My question to her is how much longer before she realizes that technique does not work...

Her fly swat is her biggest weapon, once she refines it just a little bit more. No player and I mean NO PLAYER wants their shot blasted into the fifteenth row. It discourages drives to the rim, changes shots, forces bad passes, causes travels...

If Geno really wanted that eliminated, do you really think it would take two years and counting...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Her fly swat is her biggest weapon, once she refines it just a little bit more. No player and I mean NO PLAYER wants their shot blasted into the fifteenth row. It discourages drives to the rim, changes shots, forces bad passes, causes travels...
If Geno really wanted that eliminated, do you really think it would take two years and counting...
I am surprised it has not been eliminated. You are also not watching close enough. ONO has been benched in several key stretches of games this season the primary recurring reason was foul trouble. Her foul trouble comes from swatting at the ball and moving too early after setting high ball screen. Both bad habits need to be eliminated. That these bad habits have not been eliminated already is not because Geno and CD want it that way, it is because ONO has not made the required adjustments. BTW it is much more intimidating to block the shot, not foul and keep the ball in bounds as opposed to throwing it in the fifth row, Bill Russell says so-he should know.

Reaction Score
I've said it once and I'll say it again, Zia Cooke is going to be a big star. Now as for Henderson, I wouldn't hold out for her to more than a little above average. I don't think she'll hit Harris' level. But Cooke? My goodness. No doubt SCar is going to be a handful for anyone next year.

It appears that Henderson is going to be the SC player who is mysteriously underrated next year.

#1 PG out of high school. Has been a very good reserve behind four year starter for two seasons.

I have no idea how any of this shakes out as far as finishing another year ranked #1, but I have very little heartburn about Henderson starting at PG. Won't be Ty Harris, but will be in the top 5-10% of PGs, IMO.

Reaction Score
Geno needs size next year. Losing our best 2 scorers, and adding a playmaker like Paige, we need size to post-up, add a physical element, and get some easy buckets inside. Or else, ONO will just wear down like she did a lot this season.
Liv did not wear down. She got stronger, more physical, and more confident as the season progressed.

Reaction Score
I am surprised it has not been eliminated. You are also not watching close enough. ONO has been benched in several key stretches of games this season the primary recurring reason was foul trouble. Her foul trouble comes from swatting at the ball and moving too early after setting high ball screen. Both bad habits need to be eliminated. That these bad habits have not been eliminated already is not because Geno and CD want it that way, it is because ONO has not made the required adjustments. BTW it is much more intimidating to block the shot, not foul and keep the ball in bounds as opposed to throwing it in the fifth row, Bill Russell says so-he should know.
"Bill Russell says so-he should know."...and he was the best...its just something that needs to be drilled into her, over, and over, and over again....
re Cooke....both Harris and Harrigan brought senior maturity & experience that are going to be tough to replace...while the assists and points may be duplicated, experience in crucial moments, that often wins or loses a game, well, that's a different matter.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this, amazing how quickly some people forget. Two Ironic things about this: 1) ND ended up bringing in 2 PGs (Dixon & Gilbert) that season. 2) VT also brought in a PG ( Jones) that was ranked higher than Mabrey. Question for you or @Dillon77 or @Charliebball: Is she the most talented of the 3 sisters?

I've always felt that Marina is the best of the 3. Some of that is simply due to being taller than her sisters.

Dara may be equally or more "talented" but I expect Marina to be the only one to have a meaningful pro career. 5'11 vs. 5'7 makes a big difference.

Reaction Score
Boston had a great year in part because she was on the court with Ty Harris, a 4 year starter at pg, who ran SC’s offense beautifully. The biggest challenge for Dawn, Boston and SC next season will be to find a player to step in and run the team. How SC deals with that challenge will go a long way towards determining just how good the Gamecocks will be next season.

Destanni “All-SEC Tournament Team” Henderson says Hello ......

Reaction Score
Boston is a presence in the middle, with excellent fundamentals of a post player (positioning & rebounding), but Liv's development during the second half of the season was very impressive. She's quicker than Boston, and has a better vertical. I'll be interested to see her off season, and continued development, including adding a bit more muscle, under Jamelle. Believe her ceiling is higher than Boston's - simply due to her athleticism. Re SC - they've got a couple of big holes to fill, especially at PG. The assists per game, and leadership Harris provided, can't be minimized. Additionally, there's Herbert-Harrigan shoes to fill as well, and believe she'll be a pro. She was was a vital part of their inside game. The transition won't be as seamless as many seem to believe. Do you really believe SC would have lost only one game had they played anyone outside the SEC ranked in the Top 10 (please, let's not talk about Baylor without Cox)? Or, if they'd had Oregon's schedule? It's interesting that many here are already anointing Staley as WCBB royalty. As I've said previously, the best thing to happen to her coaching career was the opportunity to learn under Geno. Its paid dividends - the SC offense has certainly improved. But, until SC consistently wins over other TOP 10 teams, outside the overrated SEC, I'll appreciate the improvement she's brought to the program, but, unlike the all seeing Carnac, won't consider them Elite.

Aliyah was a FRESHMAN and was doing everything ONO did this year as a sophomore. Who knows who will be better but one thing that separates Aliyah from Olivia is her non stop talking on the court and her ability to blow up plays defensively. I don’t recall any other big in the country out side of Boston and Cox constantly communicate to their teammates both offensively and defensively. She also had more double doubles this year than ONO. Although ONO had more blocks I think Aliyah will be even better in that regard next season. around this time next year will tell us a lot about both.

Reaction Score
Boston had a great year in part because she was on the court with Ty Harris, a 4 year starter at pg, who ran SC’s offense beautifully. The biggest challenge for Dawn, Boston and SC next season will be to find a player to step in and run the team. How SC deals with that challenge will go a long way towards determining just how good the Gamecocks will be next season.
I’m not speaking on South Carolina as a team. I’m saying Boston individually. I think there will be better back courts in the country, but there is not a better front court player than Boston next year. Also, Ty Harris was one of the best as far as knowing how to run a team and where to get the ball ever since she was a freshman. So it will be interesting to see how Cooke and Henderson perform and run the show

Reaction Score
Woe! Slowdown here! Cooke is not going to become a star by shooting 38%. Either Henderson or Cooke is going to have to slide over and play the PG role full time next season. Neither will bring the defensive intensity of Harris and neither has the A/TO ratio to even come close to matching Harris.
SC has the #1 rated PGs in 2018 and 2019. They both were McDonalds All Americans. Ty Harris was ranked 9th and look at what she has accomplished under Dawn compared to the PGs rated higher than her. Henderson with the keys next year along with Zia will be one if not the best backcourts in college basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m not speaking on South Carolina as a team. I’m saying Boston individually. I think there will be better back courts in the country, but there is not a better front court player than Boston next year
Sure there is! Rhyne Howard at Kentucky and Elissa Cunane at NCSt to name two.

Reaction Score
I recall a thread on here when we were discussing the upcoming season how little praise Harris and Harrigan got when the SC fans were talking them up. They were listing all the point guards better than Ty. Funny how that has changed. We will see how things turn out for Henderson and Cooke this time next year.

Reaction Score

I agree Zia needs to have a better shooting percentage but she can put the ball in the basket for sure. I’m not sure what you mean by neither Cooke or Henderson having the defensive intensity... both are ball hawks and play excellent defense. SC was good as a team defensively, losing our seniors will hurt but they definitely will be good defensively again with Beal, Boston, Grissett, Saxton and Amihere returning as well. Henderson will thrive in the PG role. She showed she would in the SEC Tournament hence why she made the All Tournament team.

Reaction Score
I watched the MD/SC game real early in the season and both teams did not impress me. Harris and MHH were not outstanding in that game. However, IMO, those two did turn it up a couple of notches so they were game ready for the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
I recall a thread on here when we were discussing the upcoming season how little praise Harris and Harrigan got when the SC fans were talking them up. They were listing all the point guards better than Ty. Funny how that has changed. We will see how things turn out for Henderson and Cooke this time next year.

This! All up until this year all we heard was Dangerfield was better then Harris and it wasn’t close and Herbert Harrigan wouldn’t proved any leadership this year.... makes me laugh lol. Don’t worry Cooke and Henderson are going to give teams hell next year!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I thought this was a thread about transfers.

Turns out it was really a thread for the SC fans to just talk about players on their team who aren't transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom