Herbst's responsibility in sports mess? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Herbst's responsibility in sports mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know much about the topic, so I want to give other people a chance to inform me, but to my eye it looks like Herbst took over at UConn right around the time the athletic department had reached its apex. Is that not directly related to the academic profile of a school or are there more consequential variables that I am missing?

You win a Big East title in football. Then you win a title in 2011. Then you win another one in 2014. All this time the women's program is the best in the country by far and state schools have become more attractive, particularly amongst Connecticut residents, for the typical student.

Did the leg work for this rise occur on Herbst's watch or somebody else's? And if the answer is the latter, then who's doing the leg work now for the inevitable come down? It sounds great to celebrate the growth of the school, because that is in fact the ultimate goal, but if the reason that growth occurred in the first place was because of athletics then what does that say about where we are now?

Reaction Score
I don't know much about the topic, so I want to give other people a chance to inform me, but to my eye it looks like Herbst took over at UConn right around the time the athletic department had reached its apex. Is that not directly related to the academic profile of a school or are there more consequential variables that I am missing?

You win a Big East title in football. Then you win a title in 2011. Then you win another one in 2014. All this time the women's program is the best in the country by far and state schools have become more attractive, particularly amongst Connecticut residents, for the typical student.

Did the leg work for this rise occur on Herbst's watch or somebody else's? And if the answer is the latter, then who's doing the leg work now for the inevitable come down? It sounds great to celebrate the growth of the school, because that is in fact the ultimate goal, but if the reason that growth occurred in the first place was because of athletics then what does that say about where we are now?
When's the last time Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, UC Berkeley, MIT, Cal Poly, Cornell or Tufts, won anything of note in athletics? And clearly the explosive growth of athletic prowess at Louisville and UCF should put them in the top 10% academically according to your way of thinking.

Reaction Score
Universities dip into their endowments yearly. A good number is 5%. Have to stay ahead of the 4% take.
true but does not account for the difference between 35% and 128% particularly when donations are being added to the Foundation annually

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
true but does not account for the difference between 35% and 128% particularly when donations are being added to the Foundation annually

It’s only hundreds of millions of dollars.

Don’t you dare question the all powerful OZ.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I doubt if Yale uses 5% yearly or even close to that. Their endowment is almost $30 Billion. They could fund the the state governments of Connecticut AND Illinois and build UConn an on campus stadium and not even feel a pinch. Lol

Why don't we just merge with them?

Reaction Score
Meh. Generally I agree but the reason UConn grads aren't staying in state is that besides accounting and insurance there just aren't a ton of jobs. I got lucky and found a small company but if I didn't genuinely like Connecticut I wouldn't have stayed here
If u r a STEM major, you have a 2% unemployment rate in CT. There r thousands of opening in engineering and basic sciences. We have to practically import H1 tech people for all the IT jobs. Infosys is planning to open a new Hartford cvampus with 1200 new jobs

Last edited by a moderator:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Because people take simultaneous AD jobs at multiple schools.:rolleyes: FWIW, Red Pants' line of crap was good enough to get him a job at Nebraska as well.

I've said from the get go that his patter wasn't a selling point for me, but a young, successful, high energy, Broyles award winner wasn't a crazy choice by any means. Yes he turned out to be a bucket full of crazy, but the choice to hire him at the time wasn't unreasonable.

It was if any well grounded, halfway intelligent person spent five minutes alone in a room with that whack job! You had to be blind not to recognize his insanity, unless you believe he can act like a normal human being in private. I don't. I hated that moron from the time he said the first few games of the season were exhibitions, as if he was coaching the NY Giants.

Reaction Score
Education is a big business in CT and New England in general. There are ten of thousands of international students that r paying upwards of $60K per yr to study in its prep schools. This state is getting a good deal with the students. Boston Uni n NYU both raise its profile immensely in the past 20 yrs by enrolling international students.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was if any well grounded, halfway intelligent person spent five minutes alone in a room with that whack job! You had to be blind not to recognize his insanity, unless you believe he can act like a normal human being in private. I don't. I hated that moron from the time he said the first few games of the season were exhibitions, as if he was coaching the NY Giants.
We did a poll and something like 90% of the board liked him as a hire. He's like a tuna sandwich left in the back seat of car. When you first saw it it looked good but after a while it stinks to high heaven.

Reaction Score

Are those 2 numbers from the exact dates?

At a certain point in 2008, the Dow was at 6,000. It was also at 10,000 that year.

Reaction Score
When's the last time Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, UC Berkeley, MIT, Cal Poly, Cornell or Tufts, won anything of note in athletics? And clearly the explosive growth of athletic prowess at Louisville and UCF should put them in the top 10% academically according to your way of thinking.

UCF is trending way up academically and surely football is making UCF more attractive to students. Florida seems to do a really nice job with its state universities and kids are proud to attend them.

Louisville on the other hand, seems to view sports as the schools’ primary mission. That may be about to change, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
If u r a STEM major, you have a 2% unemployment rate in CT. There r thousands of opening in engineering and basic sciences. We have to practically import H1 tech people for all the IT jobs. Infosys is planning to open a new Hartford cvampus with 1200 new jobs

That is a relief. When I saw all of those companies with their stem jobs leave Connecticut because there wasn’t a workforce here I was concerned that maybe our stem industry was unhealthy.

Reaction Score
That is a relief. When I saw all of those companies with their stem jobs leave Connecticut because there wasn’t a workforce here I was concerned that maybe our stem industry was unhealthy.

Connecticut's STEM workforce is concentrated in three sectors: Engineering, particularly mechanical and electrical, actuarial sciences, and biotech. We are weak in software, which was GE's justification for looking elsewhere.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Yale won the NCAA men's hockey tourney a few years ago - but I get your point.

Reaction Score

CT works to expand engineering pipeline

The number of STEM majors in CT has been increasing by 50% in past 10 yrs. Most STEM (80%) graduates from CT stay in the state. The main issue is population growth. We r just not having enough children. The out-migration rate is no higher then all the Northeast or Midwest state. There is not much international immigation c/w NYC or Boston

Reaction Score

Then why did GE move and why did CT not make it to the final 20 for Amazon’s new site? The grads with these skills are leaving and it’s not seen as having an education base for tech. And infrastructure. That’s why you have to import H1 tech people. Because the companies that could keep and recruit grads are leaving or not coming.

It stinks bc I want to go back after my daughter starts college (UConn is a top choice!). But who knows if I can and work/make the living I do.

Reaction Score
UCF is trending way up academically and surely football is making UCF more attractive to students. Florida seems to do a really nice job with its state universities and kids are proud to attend them.

Louisville on the other hand, seems to view sports as the schools’ primary mission. That may be about to change, but I doubt it.

UCF is an awful school academically. My boss’s son plays soccer there. They let kids register for classes and they take turns going - that’s all students. So one week you get to sit in the seats. The week you don’t you get to do it online... ummm, I’m sorry? I’m paying tuition to sit on a computer on campus while you overbook classes? That school sucks and I would never let my kid go there.

Reaction Score
Then why did GE move and why did CT not make it to the final 20 for Amazon’s new site? The grads with these skills are leaving and it’s not seen as having an education base for tech. And infrastructure. That’s why you have to import H1 tech people. Because the companies that could keep and recruit grads are leaving or not coming.

It stinks bc I want to go back after my daughter starts college (UConn is a top choice!). But who knows if I can and work/make the living I do.
The biggest problem for CT is NYC and Boston. Most people who leave CT ends up there. The growth is taking place in the cities and not in the suburbs. All you need to see it is to drive to Buffalo. Most of the small towns are losing population and hope there. We own a 2nd home in the Berkshires. The main town Pittsfield is a sad place. CT never had a chance with Amazon, they want a direct flight to Seattle and a multi- million people metropolis. FYI- Silicon valley is full of H1 people

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love how whaler just knows for an absolute fact that no graduating alumni who has a wealthy family overseas will live in CT post-graduation, since obviously nobody who works in NYC lives in Fairfield County.

Under Herbst, UConn's endowment has practically doubled, but this idiot is mad because we had a bad basketball coach.

I missed this before.

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaha.

You wanted to make comments about people understanding math and you want to pump up Herbst’s impact to the endowment?

Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You should delete your account. This is the single stupidest thing ever written.

You could have a high school investment club handle UConn’s endowment and they would have DESTROYED the actual result. A cat walking over a keyboard logged into e-trade would have destroyed their outcome.

Let’s keep educating Chinese nationals with Connecticut taxpayer money. That’s going to be a winning strategy. You should stick to college hockey and ESPN scheduling. If you actually understood math you’d already know the ending to this story.

I just hope Herbst is such a pariah she is stuck here holding the bag. If she was anywhere near as great as you guys think she would have been gone long ago.

You are welcome to shadow me for a few days at work then you can come back and report on how I’m an idiot. ESPN. LOL.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The idea that Herbst is the most super awesome school President in history but ends up on the wrong side of eating 16-17 million dollars against Bob Diaco and Kevin Ollie within 15 months is hilarious.

It’s going to be a big fortnight for SuzieLax. Better not lose to Kevin or it’s going to be pack up the office time.

Reaction Score
The idea that Herbst is the most super awesome school President in history but ends up on the wrong side of eating 16-17 million dollars against Bob Diaco and Kevin Ollie within 15 months is hilarious.

It’s going to be a big fortnight for SuzieLax. Better not lose to Kevin or it’s going to be pack up the office time.
If we don't get our top target and have to pay Ollie then Benedict and Susan need to go. I have confidence that we're getting Hurley, though, so AD David Benedict might skate on that one

Reaction Score
We
I missed this before.

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaha.

You wanted to make comments about people understanding math and you want to pump up Herbst’s impact to the endowment?

You should delete your account. This is the single stupidest thing ever written.

You could have a high school investment club handle UConn’s endowment and they would have DESTROYED the actual result. A cat walking over a keyboard logged into e-trade would have destroyed their outcome.

Let’s keep educating Chinese nationals with Connecticut taxpayer money. That’s going to be a winning strategy. You should stick to college hockey and ESPN scheduling. If you actually understood math you’d already know the ending to this story.

I just hope Herbst is such a pariah she is stuck here holding the bag. If she was anywhere near as great as you guys think she would have been gone long ago.

You are welcome to shadow me for a few days at work then you can come back and report on how I’m an idiot. ESPN. LOL.
Are you still sticking with your recent brilliant prediction that Ollie is coming back next Fall as the men's coach?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We

Are you still sticking with your recent brilliant prediction that Ollie is coming back next Fall as the men's coach?

You have an IQ below room temperature. Trust me you don’t want to go down this road.

Reaction Score
You have an IQ below room temperature. Trust me you don’t want to go down this road.
You're the biggest G D A H on this board, if anyone should "delete their account" it's you, and after you do that, move to Saskatchewan. You make the trolls look like genuine UConn fans. "Ollie's coming back" stupid prediction number one. "Uconn's University president is losing her job over a clown of a men's basketball coach getting fired" stupid prediction number two.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I missed this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom