Herbst's responsibility in sports mess? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Herbst's responsibility in sports mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She didn't inherit a wreck of a sports program.

UConn had reached heights no one here expected when she came on board.

Fiesta Bowl and a national championship.

UConn got passed over because a confederate flag never flew over campus and BC hated the school.

Now, if you want to blame Warde Manuel, go ahead.
I blame her for hiring Warde Manuel who had one foot out the door before he even started. I blame Warde for failing in getting UConn to the ACC. I blame Warde for abandoning ship. He bleeds blue, but for the wrong school.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At that moment in time, half the ADs in the country would have hired Bobby Red Pants. Many posters on this board were euphoric at the time. But he did more than just make one hire, and fixing APR legally is not that easy to do....but sure.

Funny that only one school hired him and anyone can fix the APR and lose. Literally anyone.

Didn’t think we had any Warde Manual defenders left. Good to know.

I guess leadership has no responsibility for outcomes. Good news for David the Oaf. He is headed out to the deep water.

Reaction Score
Last I checked I’m not funding Yale every other week.

If you guys don’t get this scam I don’t know how to help you. ‘Profitable’. Good one.

Yale pays no taxes. You are funding them every day.

Reaction Score
I blame Warde.

The Pina Colada Song (UConn version)

I am tired of our conference, I mean it does kind of suck.
But I don't see a way out, without a whole lotta luck.
How did we get here, when were really hot?
I thought back on how Louisville got the last P5 spot:

Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He did not do any lobbying which is what caused us to fall.
If you like being in a real conference, with teams that you've known for years,
Don't trust the fan of the donuts or you'll end up in tears.

Now I don't blame Suzy, I know it sounds kind of mean,
But I expect that a "rock star" would have known the routine.
Nothing is given, to those who sit back and wait.
And when you think where the blame lies, it's not up for debate...

Warde had Pina Coladas, while watching girl's basketball.
He should have been working, but he was dropping the ball.
So now we're stuck playing Tulsa and likely will be for years.
We trusted the fan of the donuts and we ended in tears.
You may be sarcastic, but sometimes sarcasm rings true.

Reaction Score
Isn't who thinks she hasn't been great doesn't have a clue of what it means to be a University President.

Anyone who thins Warde was a mistake has no clue of the role of an AD or the situation at the time.
Are you Ricky Ricardo?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yale pays no taxes. You are funding them every day.

Good grief.

I know US News charts give many of you erections - but UConn should be a tool of the state government to drive our economy and educate OUR citizens.

Funding the school is an investment that the state and the people of Connecticut make.

Nebulous nonsense like being a ‘global university’ is worthless. Magazine rankings where you can game the metrics mean nothing in real life.

Spoiler alert: This state is broke. The limited funds that will be available need to be used in a way that generates a return on our collective investment.

If you guys are really interested in treating UConn as a business - the first thing tbat would be eliminated is the athletic department. The second thing that would be eliminated is 2/3rds of the majors.

Signing up international students because they pay higher tuition is shortsighted foolishness. It’s a short term cash grab required because the administration spends like drunken sailors on leave.

Every slot we sell off from under a taxpaying CT resident so that SuzieLax can overpay useless administrators is a mistake.

We need to invest in the education of people who might actually live here after graduation. Not soak rich Middle Easterners so that their kids can party in Boston and NY, making the budget easier to balance in a given fiscal year.

I’m sure a dozen people who live 1,500 miles away will tell me how wrong I am. Which is cool but there aren’t that many of us funding this state anymore - so if you want the school to be better in Rhode Island in 20 years it might be time to start worrying about what UConn can do for the state rather than what we taxpayers do for UConn and it’s employees.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I love how whaler just knows for an absolute fact that no graduating alumni who has a wealthy family overseas will live in CT post-graduation, since obviously nobody who works in NYC lives in Fairfield County.

Under Herbst, UConn's endowment has practically doubled, but this idiot is mad because we had a bad basketball coach.

Reaction Score
Good grief.

I know US News charts give many of you erections - but UConn should be a tool of the state government to drive our economy and educate OUR citizens.

Funding the school is an investment that the state and the people of Connecticut make.

Nebulous nonsense like being a ‘global university’ is worthless. Magazine rankings where you can game the metrics mean nothing in real life.

Spoiler alert: This state is broke. The limited funds that will be available need to be used in a way that generates a return on our collective investment.

If you guys are really interested in treating UConn as a business - the first thing tbat would be eliminated is the athletic department. The second thing that would be eliminated is 2/3rds of the majors.

Signing up international students because they pay higher tuition is shortsighted foolishness. It’s a short term cash grab required because the administration spends like drunken sailors on leave.

Every slot we sell off from under a taxpaying CT resident so that SuzieLax can overpay useless administrators is a mistake.

We need to invest in the education of people who might actually live here after graduation. Not soak rich Middle Easterners so that their kids can party in Boston and NY, making the budget easier to balance in a given fiscal year.

I’m sure a dozen people who live 1,500 miles away will tell me how wrong I am. Which is cool but there aren’t that many of us funding this state anymore - so if you want the school to be better in Rhode Island in 20 years it might be time to start worrying about what UConn can do for the state rather than what we taxpayers do for UConn and it’s employees.
Meh. Generally I agree but the reason UConn grads aren't staying in state is that besides accounting and insurance there just aren't a ton of jobs. I got lucky and found a small company but if I didn't genuinely like Connecticut I wouldn't have stayed here

zls44

Reaction Score
Which is cool but there aren’t that many of us funding this state anymore - so if you want the school to be better in Rhode Island in 20 years it might be time to start worrying about what UConn can do for the state rather than what we taxpayers do for UConn and it’s employees.

Every dollar the state spends on UConn returns $11 to the state.

Forget President, Herbst should be in charge of the damn state budget.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Every dollar the state spends on UConn returns $11 to the state.

Forget President, Herbst should be in charge of the damn state budget.

Returns it as what? If it was $11 that mattered then you’d make the budget unlimited and we’d all drive rocket cars.

She is great with a budget. Huge raises for useless admins. And David the Oaf deserved to get paid this year for sure - they only fired $17 million in dead money is 15 months.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Meh. Generally I agree but the reason UConn grads aren't staying in state is that besides accounting and insurance there just aren't a ton of jobs. I got lucky and found a small company but if I didn't genuinely like Connecticut I wouldn't have stayed here

Well if we can’t keep anyone we educate why would we pay to educate them? Why would we pay to educate students for other places to benefit?

Reaction Score
Well if we can’t keep anyone we educate why would we pay to educate them? Why would we pay to educate students for other places to benefit?
Because it's better for society.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because it's better for society.

You’ll be glad that when China comes to collect the debt that they had a great time in NYC on the weekends when they went to UConn.

I look forward to when you make enough to pay state income tax. Your song just might change.

Reaction Score
You’ll be glad that when China comes to collect the debt that they had a great time in NYC on the weekends when they went to UConn.
I actually agree with your point about foreign students but it doesn't make sense in the context of the argument. Are we not receiving more money than the cost to educate foreign students? If we're losing money on that deal then yes, stop it immediately

zls44

Reaction Score
Returns it as what?

I could explain it to you, but I am certain you wouldn't be able to understand the most basic of arithmetic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I actually agree with your point about foreign students but it doesn't make sense in the context of the argument. Are we not receiving more money than the cost to educate foreign students? If we're losing money on that deal then yes, stop it immediately

There is an opportunity cost in not educating someone who stays.

The ‘cost to educate’ foreign student ignores the investments made by taxpayers over 100 years to make the education possible.

I’m sure the UConn admin would show you some numbers that show the revenue higher than the cost. If you haven’t noticed that every number that comes out of Storrs is bogus.... look at the way they try to claim it’s not taxpayer money that props up the athlethic department - it’s an accounting ‘trick’ that the UConn student government picked apart in 3 pages.

Reaction Score
I have two good friends, both bleed National Flag Blue and White, at each other's throats over Herbst.

One says she is a disaster, responsible for bringing a program with a football team in the Fiesta Bowl and two national champions in hoops to a crappy conference and athletic irrelevance. She was outmaneuvered by better leaders and is unqualified to get us out of this mess. Fire her.

The other says Herbst is a fine leader, steady hand at the helm while UCONN navigates chaotic seas. She hired AD Dave, who is making moves to improve our programs despite the AAC, which he inherited. Women's hoops, field hockey, baseball, and hockey are all doing well and the academic reputation continues to soar. Extend her contract.

What do you think?
I like her, I think she's great for the University. College athletics aside, she's done the right things to raise UCONN's academic standing and put it on a national level competitively. On UConn athletics, she hired Dave Benedict and then the both of them brought back Randy Edsall, which I think saved the school as far as football is concerned. Has she made some mistakes, yes but smart people learn from their mistakes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I could explain it to you, but I am certain you wouldn't be able to understand the most basic of arithmetic.

Ok guy - you threw out some stupid figure that you don’t understand and are going to pretend I can’t handle the math. I guess my entire career built on math is a sham - lol.

Reaction Score
There is an opportunity cost in not educating someone who stays.

The ‘cost to educate’ foreign student ignores the investments made by taxpayers over 100 years to make the education possible.

I’m sure the UConn admin would show you some numbers that show the revenue higher than the cost. If you haven’t noticed that every number that comes out of Storrs is bogus.... look at the way they try to claim it’s not taxpayer money that props up the athlethic department - it’s an accounting ‘trick’ that the UConn student government picked apart in 3 pages.
that's a very fair argument that I'd have to research further to have a real opinion on. If I had it my way college would be a completely different animal, anyway. It would actually be about educating people and not about GPA's. What we see now is students gaming the system and picking "easy" professors because they think their careers depend on their grades. I went to college for a diploma so I could get a job and I feel like that's how most students are because that's what the job market valued for so long.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
that's a very fair argument that I'd have to research further to have a real opinion on. If I had it my way college would be a completely different animal, anyway. It would actually be about educating people and not about GPA's. What we see now is students gaming the system and picking "easy" professors because they think their careers depend on their grades. I went to college for a diploma so I could get a job and I feel like that's how most students are because that's what the job market valued for so long.

The best part is - I'm not against funding UConn. I'm for funding UConn in ways that benefits Connecticut. I'm against funding UConn so that administrators can leverage the state's investment to further their own careers. I'm against funding UConn to benefit other parts of the country or the world. I'm completely done with the lack of transparency in Storrs.

I don't worship at the altar of SuzieLax. I don't believe a word she says, and I certainly don't believe she gives a damn about the athletic department. Hopefully I'm wrong and the cult of Suzie is right - but no one has ever gone broke fading the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
The best part is - I'm not against funding UConn. I'm for funding UConn in ways that benefits Connecticut. I'm against funding UConn so that administrators can leverage the state's investment to further their own careers. I'm against funding UConn to benefit other parts of the country or the world. I'm completely done with the lack of transparency in Storrs.

I don't worship at the altar of SuzieLax. I don't believe a word she says, and I certainly don't believe she gives a damn about the athletic department. Hopefully I'm wrong and the cult of Suzie is right - but no one has ever gone broke fading the Boneyard.
I am a steadfast Susan hater. I will not donate any money to the school while she is there.

Reaction Score
Presidents and not athletic directors dictated conference realignment. Athletic Directors may make recommendations, but the Presidents make the decisions. This is on Herbst. Do you think UConn could use the 30 million in revenue that Pitt Athletics generates each year from being in the ACC? Do you remember UConn's academic reputation before basketball took off? Do you really believe it will remain as strong academically with a cash strapped state and an apathetic fanbase no longer willing to buy tickets, never mind support the University? Could you imagine the outcry if the State tried cutting University funds in 2005? People would have gone crazy? Today...not so much? I remember when we used to have to donate a lot of money just for the right to buy tickets to see UConn in the Civic Center--the actual tickets were the cheap part. Which CEO could loses hundreds of millions in revenue and be able to blame it on the very people they hired? I guess time will tell when we look at Pitt and UConn in 10 years.

Reaction Score
So the fact that UConn has skyrocketed up the rankings while she's been there angered you?
The recession skyrocketed UConn. It was already well on the upswing before she arrived.

Susan is the epitome of an elitist. I cannot stand her

Reaction Score
Under Herbst, UConn's endowment has practically doubled, ....

Not according to the numbers I found (albeit hastily researched). Susan took over at UConn in June 2011. The Foundation Report dated 6/30/2011 reports a total endowment of $313 million, while the same number as of 6/30/2017 was $422 million, or a 35% increase over those 6 years. As a comparison, the S&P 500 increased 128%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom