Herbst's responsibility in sports mess? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Herbst's responsibility in sports mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last I checked I’m not funding Yale every other week.

If you guys don’t get this scam I don’t know how to help you. ‘Profitable’. Good one.
You will be funding UConn a lot more by removing international students and replacing them with in state students. I at least get that but apparently you see yourself as an expert on university finance. Maybe you can explain why collecting more tuition makes you pay more.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You will be funding UConn a lot more by removing international students and replacing them with in state students. I at least get that but apparently you see yourself as an expert on university finance. Maybe you can explain why collecting more tuition makes you pay more.

You didn’t understand a word I said so far, why would I bother to reply?

Reaction Score
Not according to the numbers I found (albeit hastily researched). Susan took over at UConn in June 2011. The Foundation Report dated 6/30/2011 reports a total endowment of $313 million, while the same number as of 6/30/2017 was $422 million, or a 35% increase over those 6 years. As a comparison, the S&P 500 increased 128%.

Universities dip into their endowments yearly. A good number is 5%. Have to stay ahead of the 4% take.

Reaction Score
The recession skyrocketed UConn. It was already well on the upswing before she arrived.

Susan is the epitome of an elitist. I cannot stand her

?? Have no idea what you're even saying here. But apparently UConn went up because of a recession. And that highly paid people in singular positions are elitist (by definition?)

Reaction Score
Herbst cannot escape blame for the UConn sports debacle. She really has little appreciation for it's value and is living under the delusion that UConn's favorable rise in ranking and reputation is some sort of organic phenomena relating to a sudden recognition of its academic prowess. The plainly obvious answer is there is a correlation between great brand recognition and competitive applicant demand. That brand recognition isn't coming from
UConn marketing brochures... it's big national TV exposure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
?? Have no idea what you're even saying here. But apparently UConn went up because of a recession. And that highly paid people in singular positions are elitist (by definition?)

Seriously?

The recession made UConn more attractive to potential students because it was less expensive than other options.

You made up the second half in your head.

Reaction Score
Universities dip into their endowments yearly. A good number is 5%. Have to stay ahead of the 4% take.
I doubt if Yale uses 5% yearly or even close to that. Their endowment is almost $30 Billion. They could fund the the state governments of Connecticut AND Illinois and build UConn an on campus stadium and not even feel a pinch. Lol

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
She didn't inherit a wreck of a sports program.

UConn had reached heights no one here expected when she came on board.

Fiesta Bowl and a national championship.

UConn got passed over because a confederate flag never flew over campus and BC hated the school.

Now, if you want to blame Warde Manuel, go ahead.

This is pretty much it. Whereas programs like Virginia, Florida State, and Maryland were happy to have more regional rivals when it was time for expansion, BCU fought us being added. Game...set...match. BCU destroyed our athletic program.

There is not really anything anyone can do about it now. We are already dead.

Reaction Score
I read recently that 30% of oos students stay in CT the year after they graduate, while 70% of In state do the same.

I would guess that UCONN is admitting more oos students b/c they are generally higher achieving than the in-state counterparts that don’t make the cut, and the state believes that a higher achieving student body would help attract employers that would otherwise set up shop somewhere else. If that is the bet it has not seemed to pay off yet.

Reaction Score
Seriously?

The recession made UConn more attractive to potential students because it was less expensive than other options.

You made up the second half in your head.

But that didn't happen at other schools across the country?

That is plainly boneheaded.

Reaction Score
Does every state school get funded like UConn does by the state? Not even close.

UConn is in the 4th quintile in terms of state support. It used to be in the bottom 5th.

Reaction Score
I doubt if Yale uses 5% yearly or even close to that. Their endowment is almost $30 Billion. They could fund the the state governments of Connecticut AND Illinois and build UConn an on campus stadium and not even feel a pinch. Lol

I don't know what they use. I said 4%. 4% of $30B = $1.2B. I doubt they take that much. Still, with a $2B budget, and promises of free tuition to lower and middle and even upper class students, they dip into it. They have to. Their research take is not at $1B like the midwestern AAUs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But that didn't happen at other schools across the country?

That is plainly boneheaded.

Now you are going to tell us about the value of rankings that can be easily gamed? LOL.

Yeah when you’ve got a recession and most states have already scaled back their support (which you tell us all the time) of course you are going to get a bump in rankings that use simplistic metrics like student/faculty ratios.

Sorry that I think the goal of the university shouldn’t be how high it gets in bogus rankings since all that reflects is spending money and gaming the stats.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Funny that only one school hired him
Because people take simultaneous AD jobs at multiple schools.:rolleyes: FWIW, Red Pants' line of crap was good enough to get him a job at Nebraska as well.

I've said from the get go that his patter wasn't a selling point for me, but a young, successful, high energy, Broyles award winner wasn't a crazy choice by any means. Yes he turned out to be a bucket full of crazy, but the choice to hire him at the time wasn't unreasonable.

Reaction Score
UConn's meteoric rise academically is attributable to Jim Calhoun (93%), Lew Perkins (5.5%) and Geno (1.5%). Many examples prove this. Most starkly, simply look at the applicant pool data from our admissions department following the '99 championship.

Reaction Score
Now you are going to tell us about the value of rankings that can be easily gamed? LOL.

Yeah when you’ve got a recession and most states have already scaled back their support (which you tell us all the time) of course you are going to get a bump in rankings that use simplistic metrics like student/faculty ratios.

Sorry that I think the goal of the university shouldn’t be how high it gets in bogus rankings since all that reflects is spending money and gaming the stats.

UConn has been slashing, not spending more money.

You guys are so way off here it's not even funny.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn has been slashing, not spending more money.

You guys are so way off here it's not even funny.

Yeah the last couple of years not the time frame we are talking about.

Good God you’ve railed against these stupid rating systems forever but today they are the ultimate measuring stick.

We’ll see how fast they rocket up the lists with Connecticut moving towards the level
of support other states give.

Reaction Score
OT & to her credit - she was trashed pounding wine at the 2014 final four

temery

What?
Reaction Score
UConn's meteoric rise academically is attributable to Jim Calhoun (93%), Lew Perkins (5.5%) and Geno (1.5%). Many examples prove this. Most starkly, simply look at the applicant pool data from our admissions department following the '99 championship.

I started grad school at UConn in the summer of 1985. By January of '87 they realized I needed to go. That's the beginning of UConn's rise nationally as far as academics are concerned.

You're welcome.

Reaction Score
Does every state school get funded like UConn does by the state? Not even close.

That wasn't the point I to which responding. If the recession is the reason for the improvement die to relatively low cost, it stands to reason every public institution should have seen improved rankings. If that is the case, CCSU, Eastern, Florida State should have done ever better than Uconn. They didn't, so I don't buy the rationale.

Reaction Score
Yeah the last couple of years not the time frame we are talking about.

Good God you’ve railed against these stupid rating systems forever but today they are the ultimate measuring stick.

We’ll see how fast they rocket up the lists with Connecticut moving towards the level
of support other states give.

UConn has improved under Herbst by any measure.

Connecticut gives less than most states already. Look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom