Herbst letter to the Big 12 expressing UConn's interest | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst letter to the Big 12 expressing UConn's interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone think this action may prompt the ACC to seriously consider inviting Conn?

Reaction Score
Does anyone think this action may prompt the ACC to seriously consider inviting Conn?

I don't know if this was intended as a joke, but I burst out laughing when I read it.

I love that you can always count on the fact that within the first 30 posts on any somewhat significant news post about UConn/Big 12, somehow says that it could cause the ACC to invite us.

Not. Gonna. Happen.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Sure. And they will also immediately invite Cincinnati, ECU, Memphis, and every other B12 applicant from the eastern half of the United States.

Reaction Score
Memphis' letter to Bowlsby requesting an invitation to the B12 just surfaced, so I guess they're in the game too.

7163031.png

Reaction Score
I especially like the wording "We are prepared to learn more about your criteria for evaluating potential members..."
Basically, if you are serious, then let's talk about the criteria first before we go any further because if your criteria is what it should be, then we will present our University and you will know that we are the most qualified candidate.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Please have your team to direct.....

English can be a 2nd language for me, but it sounds wrong.

It's absolutely wrong. You don't have your team to direct inquiries to... You just have them direct inquiries to...

Reaction Score
Wait, I thought the administration was asleep at the switch again with pina colada in hand...:rolleyes:
I don't know how to interpret Cincy and Houston directing their interests to the Big 12's law firm and Uconn sending it directly to Bowlsby, but it is a bit bizarre.

Reaction Score
I don't know how to interpret Cincy and Houston directing their interests to the Big 12's law firm and Uconn sending it directly to Bowlsby, but it is a bit bizarre.

I was just puzzling over this at dinner. Two possibilities: 1.) UCONN out of loop and thus the deviation from instructions, or 2.) UCONN has a personal back door into the process.

Figure that one out, and we know our fate.

Reaction Score
I was just puzzling over this at dinner. Two possibilities: 1.) UCONN out of loop and thus the deviation from instructions, or 2.) UCONN has a personal back door into the process.

Figure that one out, and we know our fate.
Given that Cincy and Houston are considered favorites I might feel better if our process was the same. Let's hope ECU didn't send their letter directly to Bowlsby.

Reaction Score

I don't remember seeing Houston's/Houston's President Khator actual response letter back to Bowlsby printed anywhere yet?

Can someone attach the link?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
They either knew something she didn't know at that time, which is troubling, or she was specifically told she could send the letter directly, which would be encouraging if true. The second possibility doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though, because they'd want the process to be uniform. However, they can't fault her for sending it directly if there had been no communication from them about how to proceed.

Reaction Score
We are ahead of Cincy, too. Their president told Commissioner Bowlsby "have your team to direct inquiries to..."

I once worked for a firm that steadfastly refused to so much as interview a candidate if there was a single typo in their resume or cover letter.

You could be summa from Harvard - didn't matter, your application went in the trash.

I thought the policy was a bit over the top at the time, but now I realize that it was brilliant and the B12 would be crazy not to adopt the same approach.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The second possibility doesn't make a whole lot of sense,
Why?

There are thousands of cases where some party is given preferential treatment in advance. In my nearly 35 year business career there have been five instances (with two different publicly traded companies) where I was notified of an opening, asked to interview for it and interviewed before the position was ever posted. Needless to say, in each case I was given the promotion immediately upon completion of the required posting period.

For whatever reason the B-12 feels it needs to be able to publicly state that they gave every possible candidate the opportunity to toss their hat in the ring. I'll wager heavily that a few candidates were notified in advance of a path for application that would not be available to everyone.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My god. You folks are wound too tight.

Schools send letter to Bowslby because why the hell wouldn't they?

Bowlsby emails back, says hey, thanks, please send letter of interest to these legal peeps.

Schools send letter to legal peeps.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
nun_punishment.jpg

Typos? Typos? We don't take anyone with stinkin' typos!

Reaction Score
They either knew something she didn't know at that time, which is troubling, or she was specifically told she could send the letter directly, which would be encouraging if true. The second possibility doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though, because they'd want the process to be uniform. However, they can't fault her for sending it directly if there had been no communication from them about how to proceed.

There is also nothing to say that the letter from Susan Herbst to Bob Bowlsby wasn't in an secure envelop addressed to Attorney Sweeney in the Kansas City office. Bunch of ways to skin that cat.

Reaction Score
Quick, someone FOIA the envelope!

The letter could have been addressed to the Big12, but routed through the law firm?

Reaction Score
It's absolutely wrong. You don't have your team to direct inquiries to... You just have them direct inquiries to...

How can you not proofread such a short and important email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom