Herbst letter to the Big 12 expressing UConn's interest | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Herbst letter to the Big 12 expressing UConn's interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If one or more of the attorneys are state employees, they likely are. Especially if it's not in a trial setting.
Yep, I was thinking outside counsel, but the reference was to general counsel.

Took a quick look - it seems like they'd need to fall in one of these boxes to avoid FOIA:

Exemption 5: Privileged communications within or between agencies, including:

1. Deliberative Process Privilege
  2. Attorney-Work Product Privilege
  3. Attorney-Client Privilege
Maybe Deliberative Process Privilege?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yep, I was thinking outside counsel, but the reference was to general counsel.

Took a quick look - it seems like they'd need to fall in one of these boxes to avoid FOIA:

Exemption 5: Privileged communications within or between agencies, including:

1. Deliberative Process Privilege
  2. Attorney-Work Product Privilege
  3. Attorney-Client Privilege
Maybe Deliberative Process Privilege?

Yeah, and I'm not suggesting they'd even survive a challenge. Really I was thinking more that the Big 12 wanted this stuff under-wraps long enough to get it done before disclosure. So even the ability to claim an Exemption would buy them time.

I don't deal with FOIA stuff, but my understanding is that somebody requests. You respond within a certain time, and can without certain exempt materials. Then the requester has to challenge that exemption, and you can fight that, etc. It buys time at a minimum.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and I'm not suggesting they'd even survive a challenge. Really I was thinking more that the Big 12 wanted this stuff under-wraps long enough to get it done before disclosure. So even the ability to claim an Exemption would buy them time.

I don't deal with FOIA stuff, but my understanding is that somebody requests. You respond within a certain time, and can without certain exempt materials. Then the requester has to challenge that exemption, and you can fight that, etc. It buys time at a minimum.

I looked this up a few weeks back and the CT State open Record laws only indicate that the state most respond within a "reasonable" time frame. No actual timeline is laid out, which is helpful to the state in dodging open record requests.

Also helpful is that the penalty for not fulfilling an open-record request is only a couple hundred bucks.

Both give UConn less of an incentive to play ball with reporter requests in any kind of timely manner to your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom