Herbst letter to the Big 12 expressing UConn's interest | The Boneyard

Herbst letter to the Big 12 expressing UConn's interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just reported on by Jeff Jacobs at the Courant: President Herbst's Letter To Big 12: UConn Has "Strong Interest" In Joining

In case anyone still had a doubt about UConn's athletic intentions, a letter from school president Susan Herbst to Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby confirms the state university very much wants to be part of the Power Five conference.

"I am expressing our strong interest in membership in the Big 12 Conference," Herbst wrote in a letter to Bowlsby dated July 25 and marked confidential.

"I look forward to meeting with you and other Big 12 officials to fully discuss our athletic and academic success. We are prepared to learn more about your criteria for evaluating potential members and to answer any questions pertaining to our commitment and ability to join the Big 12."​

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Good to get confirmation, other than Blauds say so, that we've expressed interest. This seems like a response to the "houston letter" talking about next steps.

I have no expectation that there are not 19 others of these floating around, but it is good to get confirmation that we are officially in the hunt.

Thanks to JJ for staying on top of this.

Reaction Score
Please @harftordcourant I beg you to kill that "multimedia" Big12 video you keep using when talking about UConn/Big12... please, pretty please.
husky surprised.jpg

Reaction Score
Good to see that the "confidential" mark on the letter means alot
My guess is that its confidentiality has been redacted, if that's even possible. This letter was written July 25, less than a week after Bowlsby said the B12 would entertain the notion of expansion. Feels like an eternity ago.

Reaction Score
Good to see that the "confidential" mark on the letter means alot
FOI laws make the confidential mark not really mean all that much. At some point there had to be a paper trail that was open to the FOI laws as the process moved on.

Reaction Score
"I am expressing our strong interest in membership in the Big 12 Conference," Herbst wrote in a letter to Bowlsby dated July 25 and marked confidential.

Hmmm - timing? SH letter to BB is dated July 25th in comparison to UH getting "the process" email on 26th.

Cincinnati's response was on the 25th too... Yeah, too much time on my hands.;)
conspiracy3.jpg

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My guess is that its confidentiality has been redacted, if that's even possible. This letter was written July 25, less than a week after Bowlsby said the B12 would entertain the notion of expansion. Feels like an eternity ago.

Agree. UConn's compliance and legal office knew exactly how long that marking was good for before being released via FOI and also knew how it would be perceived/treated once made public.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Yep....seems like it was July 25, 2015.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Many people laughed when I stated the general statement on how to apply sounded like something you send out a after determining who you really want to interview. We are one of a few who will actually be considered. Those who needed the public instructions ate wasting their time.

Reaction Score
Wait, I thought the administration was asleep at the switch again with pina colada in hand...:rolleyes:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hmmm - timing? SH letter to BB is dated July 25th in comparison to UH getting "the process" email on 26th.

Cincinnati's response was on the 25th too... Yeah, too much time on my hands.;)
View attachment 15121

I think everyone who was interested sent a letter shortly after the announcement. Then Bowlsby sent his email in response to the letter. Houston's email was a response to a communication from them, telling them the more formal process. I have no doubt that he sent a similar email to UConn after he got this letter, and to everyone really.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I think everyone who was interested sent a letter shortly after the announcement. Then Bowlsby sent his email in response to the letter. Houston's email was a response to a communication from them, telling them the more formal process. I have no doubt that he sent a similar email to UConn after he got this letter, and to everyone really.
At the July 19th announcement, Bowlsby said he would contact schools that had previously expressed interest.

What we know:
On 7/25 - UConn sent a letter to Bowlsby (I'm assuming UConn had previously received the Bowlsby email that day or a few days earlier)
On 7/25 - Cinci sent a letter to Bowlsby and it was addressed in c/o of the Big 12's law office (same as in the instructions from the Bowlsby UH email).
On 7/26 - Bowlsby sent an email to Houston requesting a letter of interest and addressing it the Big 12's law office.

Hmmm... so if we are deducing things - he emailed UConn and Cinci first... top of priority list, maybe?

jho

Reaction Score
Suzy and her staff have done a commendable job in keeping their paw prints off anything FOIable. I suspect that all off the heavy lifting is being done by Mike Tranghese who probably relays the info back through conversations in dark, basement level parking garages.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Uh oh - not addressed to the Big 12's law office.

What does it mean?! Did Susan just not follow directions?

No worries... Bob and Susan are tight... no need to jump that hoop!

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Uh oh - not addressed to the Big 12's law office.

What does it mean?! Did Susan just not follow directions?
Here's Cinci Letter for reference:
cinci.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member