Herbst and Manuel blew it | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst and Manuel blew it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nelson, I love ya, but you're getting hard to follow. Just this morning you were telling me that it would be tough decision to accept an ACC invite. Now your saying its over because we haven't been invited yet???

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson, I love ya, but you're getting hard to follow. Just this morning you were telling me that it would be tough decision to accept an ACC invite. Now your saying its over because we haven't been invited yet???

I am saying that an ACC invite is probably not coming unless the conference melts down. I do think the ACC is going up in flames, so not getting in on the first ballot is not the end of the world, but this is not good news and the ACC may survive. In which case UConn's athletic department is vapor.

How the hell did UConn lose to Louisville?

Reaction Score
Manuel is an idiot! This whole thing going on and he's at a useless women's bball tourney! Guy is a clown.

Reaction Score
Manuel is an idiot! This whole thing going on and he's at a useless women's bball tourney! Guy is a clown.

Give it a rest... where did you want him? Sitting in Greensboro on the front steps of the ACC offices or camping out in lovely Park Ridge Illinois? Are you confident that no business happened during the large amounts of time that there wasn't a game? Do you know for sure he wasn't meeting with booster that traveled to the game?

Reaction Score
the AD is more interested in winning a pissing match with the legend that built the program than he is in addressing the head coach situation in a logical manner.

Warde and Calhoun sit next to each other during all the basketball games and shoot the and laugh the whole time. I wish I could read their lips, but I can assure you they don't appear in any way hostile to each other.

Reaction Score
Louisville just wanted it more. They have a stronger President/AD combo, and better coaches. They probably promised Swofford they would pay Strong whatever it takes, and Pitino is not going anywhere.

We have a mummy coaching our football team and the AD is more interested in winning a pissing match with the legend that built the program than he is in addressing the head coach situation in a logical manner.

Game. Set. Match.

Our best hope is that the ACC collapses. Our team got beaten by the team from a Kentucky commuter school. Nice work Susie and Warde.
You have no idea whether or not anybody has blown it. Uconn has been very quiet and any judgement right now is premature and foolish.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
http://www.accsports.com/blogs/davi...-will-vote-on-expansion-wednesday-morning.php

This is a catastrophic failure by Herbst and to a lesser extent Manuel. UConn went from a lock to replace Maryland to the situation being Louisville or no one.

Louisville is the #2 program in one of the poorest states in the country, with SEVEN major conference programs within a 3 hour drive, and has 3 less national titles than UConn in Louisville's top sport over the last 15 years. UConn has a bigger market, a richer market, and a very strong athletic department. Or at least it did. Hell, the "football school" just lost at home to UConn.

THIS SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED!!!!! Why am I the only one furious about what appears to be the outcome here?

We are now relegated to rooting for the ACC's destruction, because either the ACC dies or UConn's athletic program dies.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't know why the OP got attacked so much. Until they show me otherwise, Herbst and Manuel did indeed blow it.

There's no excuse for losing this race to Louisville when we had all the clear advantages.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't know why the OP got attacked so much. Until they show me otherwise, Herbst and Manuel did indeed blow it.

There's no excuse for losing this race to Louisville when we had all the clear advantages.

Don't you think it is logical that we wait until we find out what our future is before we say the school president and AD "blew it"?

Reaction Score
http://www.accsports.com/blogs/davi...-will-vote-on-expansion-wednesday-morning.php

This is a catastrophic failure by Herbst and to a lesser extent Manuel. UConn went from a lock to replace Maryland to the situation being Louisville or no one.

Louisville is the #2 program in one of the poorest states in the country, with SEVEN major conference programs within a 3 hour drive, and has 3 less national titles than UConn in Louisville's top sport over the last 15 years. UConn has a bigger market, a richer market, and a very strong athletic department. Or at least it did. Hell, the "football school" just lost at home to UConn.

THIS SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED!!!!! Why am I the only one furious about what appears to be the outcome here?

We are now relegated to rooting for the ACC's destruction, because either the ACC dies or UConn's athletic program dies.

Okay all knowing and powerful academic/business person - how would you as President and Huskyniner as you capable AD prevented this from happening (if something does indeed happen)... I'm all ears for a factual answer.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Why am I the only one furious about what appears to be the outcome here?

Probably because there hasn't yet been an "outcome", Nelson...hang in there, my friend...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As I said earlier this week, I thought we ran into the perfect storm in every way possible.

But, results matter. They just do.

If we're in the Big East one second longer than Louisville, we've suffered a major, major setback that will diminish our athletic programs almost immediately.

Results matter.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Okay all knowing and powerful academic/business person - how would you as President and Huskyniner as you capable AD prevented this from happening (if something does indeed happen)... I'm all ears for a factual answer.

If they don't want the responsibility for getting this done right, they shouldn't take the job.

Leaks coming from the ACC side are that they are locking arms and singing kumbaya. This is a developing Armageddon for UConn athletics.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As I said earlier this week, I thought we ran into the perfect storm in every way possible.

But, results matter. They just do.

If we're in the Big East one second longer than Louisville, we've suffered a major, major setback that will diminish our athletic programs almost immediately.

Results matter.

What results though?

We're 4-4 head to head.

We've both won 2 Big East Conference Titles.

We're in the 30th largest media market.

We're a Top 20 public institution.

What the hell did UConn do to get relegated to this hell hole of the NNNNBE???

Reaction Score
I'm not an Athletic Director nor do I have any experience in the field, so I couldn't give you a good answer. Manuel is one and gets paid to do that job. But he certainly hasn't earned that pay in my opinion.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

You are not the only one. Barring a miracle, Manuel and Herbst have failed.

Reaction Score
If Louisville gets an ACC invite over UConn, it is a major fail on Herbst, Manuel, and CT politicians. I was mad as he'll when I saw that Herbst and Manuel were in the Virgin Islands during possibly the most important time period of UConn athletics. They should have been lobbying in a major way Alums, Corporations, boosters, ACC presidents, ESPN,... If Louisville gets the invite, give them credit as they have been investing in their athletic programs.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i can't buy this at all. the acc needs to get 1 or several teams asap to keep its league at 14 for tv contract reasons and perception reasons. if uconn is not the pick that is a lot of fuel to fire that the b10 is in fact in uconns future and thats why uconn and the acc didn't happen. no matter lville, cincy or uconn the fball is not tosu or texas so the whole rumor of fsu wants a fball school is bogus. it comes down to markets and fanbase size. we crush them in each and then we talk bball etc. this is all silly. espn and the acc pumped uconn for a bit right away and then they realized we might have better going on and started to pump elsewhere. uconn will be fine.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
i can't buy this at all. the acc needs to get 1 or several teams asap to keep its league at 14 for tv contract reasons and perception reasons. if uconn is not the pick that is a lot of fuel to fire that the b10 is in fact in uconns future and thats why uconn and the acc didn't happen. no matter lville, cincy or uconn the fball is not tosu or texas so the whole rumor of fsu wants a fball school is bogus. it comes down to markets and fanbase size. we crush them in each and then we talk bball etc. this is all silly. espn and the acc pumped uconn for a bit right away and then they realized we might have better **** going on and started to pump elsewhere. uconn will be fine.

I wish I lived in your world. I really, really do.

Reaction Score
If they don't want the responsibility for getting this done right, they shouldn't take the job.

Leaks coming from the ACC side are that they are locking arms and singing kumbaya. This is a developing Armageddon for UConn athletics.

Not suprisingly - you didn't answer the question... How would you have done it differently?

Reaction Score
Not suprisingly - you didn't answer the question... How would you have done it differently?

Enough with the "what else would you have done". We don't even know what they did (or looks like DIDN'T DO). Enough is enough. Herbst and Manuel must be thoroughly questioned as to why UConn is ALWAYS passed over, why the criteria ALWAYS changes when it favors us. No more of the canned press release answered. Herbst and Manuel must be held accountable by whatever took place the last week that allowed a 3rd tier commuter school, 2nd place in their state to UK in fan support, and no big tv market to pass us.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It is not my fault this happened sparky, so don't turn it on me. If anything, it is the fault of people like yourselves that blindly supported these two clowns when it was clear from the start that neither were capable of protecting the athletic department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom